Anthony Gordon

Jack27

To coin an American Football running back phrase.  He really is like a pressure release valve.  You just know he's going to get you up the pitch or nick a cheap free kick when he gets the ball with a bit of space to run into.  Late in the game, I think it was him or possibly someone else that nicked it back.  He then carried it 20-30 yards, before making sure he drew the foul. 

Clever as fuck when it is for your team.  Infuriating and borderline cheating when it is against you.  Glad he now plays for us every week and it's not twice a season against us.  He's relentless.  

Grand Old Team to a man said he was basically shite and they’d ripped us off. Absolute clowns. Normally I trust other supporters to know their players but they didn’t rate Gordon despite him having an amazing breakthrough season 

Don't forget, Thomas Tuchel really tried hard to get him for Chelsea when he was there.

I saw videos at that time from 'football experts' highlighting how hard Gordan works off the ball and how his pressing would be great for a Tuchel team.

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Grand Old Team to a man said he was basically shite and they’d ripped us off. Absolute clowns. Normally I trust other supporters to know their players but they didn’t rate Gordon despite him having an amazing breakthrough season 

A lot of their hardcore fan base were just emotionally twisted against him, from the incident with the fans blocking him in and deciding he wasn’t trying for their club. He was the only shining light in that awful side of theirs at the time, and it’s why he was the only one to move for decent money when they needed to sell because they are financially fucked.

Edited by Nine

5 minutes ago, Nine said:

A lot of their hardcore fan base were just emotionally twisted against him, from the incident with the fans blocking him in and deciding he wasn’t trying for their club. He was the only shining light in that awful side of theirs at the time, and it’s why he was the only one to move for decent money when they needed to sell because they are financially fucked.

Not so sure, I read pages and pages of them laughing at us and saying they’d absolutely robbed us. Genuinely think during his second season they started to not rate him

Just now, gbandit said:

Not so sure, I read pages and pages of them laughing at us and saying they’d absolutely robbed us. Genuinely think during his second season they started to not rate him

I mean, it would be hard for most players to look good in that shambles of a team as it was at the time but if they genuinely thought they ‘robbed us’ that is hilarious. Just another case of a negatively emotional set of football fans failing to see the wood for the trees.. and we got a bargain out of it. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Tiote RIP is at #1 right? Big Joe in at #2?

You get 3 game suspension in the league for 15. Think Tiote managed it one year. Joelinton got close.

Tiote only got 14 because Pardew didn’t play in the last game (or two?) of that season so he wouldn’t be suspended at the start of the next season.

Perch got 5 in his first 5 games for us, which was quite some going.

His repeated sprint ability across 90 minutes is something to behold, like. It's even more impressive when you consider he was pretty much done in after an hour last season. He's put some serious graft in over the summer. 

16 hours ago, Nine said:

I mean, it would be hard for most players to look good in that shambles of a team as it was at the time but if they genuinely thought they ‘robbed us’ that is hilarious. Just another case of a negatively emotional set of football fans failing to see the wood for the trees.. and we got a bargain out of it. 

Most people on here thought they had robbed us at the time too to be fair.

5 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

Most people on here thought they had robbed us at the time too to be fair.

Because he squared up to Trippier, is generally an infuriating player to watch your team play against and was deemed unlikeable. So slightly different reasons for our sides emotional reaction to him but it’s good to see it’s wearing off now.

Edited by Nine

5 minutes ago, Nine said:

Because he squared up to Trippier, is generally an infuriating player to watch your team play against and was deemed unlikeable. So slightly different reasons for our sides emotional reaction to him but it’s good to see it’s wearing off now.

Him not being likeable to opposition fans played a part but there was a lot of people who felt we overpaid for him and that he had not showed anything to justify the fee.

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Him not being likeable to opposition fans played a part but there was a lot of people who felt we overpaid for him and that he had not showed anything to justify the fee.

What I mean is, fan opinion on his ability was clouded because of the reasons I mentioned.. but yes you could argue that he was an unknown quantity at the time. 

On 05/10/2023 at 11:42, Lush Vlad said:

To coin an American Football running back phrase.  He really is like a pressure release valve.  You just know he's going to get you up the pitch or nick a cheap free kick when he gets the ball with a bit of space to run into.  Late in the game, I think it was him or possibly someone else that nicked it back.  He then carried it 20-30 yards, before making sure he drew the foul. 

Clever as fuck when it is for your team.  Infuriating and borderline cheating when it is against you.  Glad he now plays for us every week and it's not twice a season against us.  He's relentless.  

This is so important, he did it a couple of times at 3-1 towards the end of the PSG game. Gives us such a tactical advantage, opposition teams can't be sloppy because we'll nick the ball, get it to Gordon and they'll have to choose between fouling him and disrupting momentum or letting him run at the defence. It's the sort of little extra dimension that good teams have. Obviously he does lots of other stuff well, but I've really noticed this in a few games and it is a massive boost for us imo.

4 minutes ago, Ed Vinegar said:

This is so important, he did it a couple of times at 3-1 towards the end of the PSG game. Gives us such a tactical advantage, opposition teams can't be sloppy because we'll nick the ball, get it to Gordon and they'll have to choose between fouling him and disrupting momentum or letting him run at the defence. It's the sort of little extra dimension that good teams have. Obviously he does lots of other stuff well, but I've really noticed this in a few games and it is a massive boost for us imo.

Another one for the “shithousery” manual!  Every little helps. The lad is just going to get better too:indi: