Anthony Gordon

Jack27

I feel sorry for him. He’ll be absolutely desperate to make his mark and if he had played I think there’s a decent chance he’d have made himself unstoppable for the rest of the tournament. Think there’s a cowardly element to not playing him and shoehorning Foden in there. Why waste a talent with his pace? Even if he has an off game his pace is enough to win you games in spite of that 

2 minutes ago, HawK said:

I'd prefer Anthony Gordon playing regularly for England and brimming with confidence and pride than one who might feel jilted. 

Agreed. But he’ll just be more determined to prove a point in the Premier League. A win, win for us either way. 

1 hour ago, HawK said:

I'd prefer Anthony Gordon playing regularly for England and brimming with confidence and pride than one who might feel jilted. 

Know what you mean, but luckily I think he feels valued enough here, and will feel validated enough by people in the media crying out for him to start, that he'll come back intending to be better than ever next season. Not sure there's a better manager to handle that process than Eddie.

The only thing I can think for him not playing or even featuring yet, his ankle injury hasn’t been fully healed yet. And with other options, Southgate doesn’t need to choose a 90% fit Gordon, whereas we had no choice last season and patched him up and rolled him out each week.

2 hours ago, Sibierski said:

The only thing I can think for him not playing or even featuring yet, his ankle injury hasn’t been fully healed yet. And with other options, Southgate doesn’t need to choose a 90% fit Gordon, whereas we had no choice last season and patched him up and rolled him out each week.

The othe option for left forward role is Eze. Is he inured as well ? 

43 minutes ago, madras said:

The othe option for left forward role is Eze. Is he inured as well ? 

Eze came on last game. 

I just feel he’s not fully fit and not been risked yet, even off bench. Like a normal ankle injury you’d be looking at 4 weeks or so, which would put him around this times scale to be back fully fit. 

Just can’t be stated enough IMO how much we kept getting Gordon back out there last season when he looked fucked after a tackle game before. Great short term, but wouldn’t want that to be a regular thing long term.

The England team would look orders of magnitude better with Gordon on the left and a left-footed fullback behind him.

Astonishing that Southgate can't find a better left-footed English fullback than Trippier, given there's 3 I'd rather play there at Newcastle alone. Love Tripps, but he's shit at left back and just nullifies anything going forwards down that flank.

1 hour ago, Sibierski said:

Eze came on last game

I just feel he’s not fully fit and not been risked yet, even off bench. Like a normal ankle injury you’d be looking at 4 weeks or so, which would put him around this times scale to be back fully fit. 

Just can’t be stated enough IMO how much we kept getting Gordon back out there last season when he looked fucked after a tackle game before. Great short term, but wouldn’t want that to be a regular thing long term.

After 70mins.

6 hours ago, Sibierski said:

he played at full pelt in the friendlies.

On the plus side, he's got better in the eyes of your average England fan with each passing minute, the whole of twitter was twerking for him the other day. If he'd featured in the shite performances so far he would have been an easy scapegoat so it's worked out alright for him in that sense. 

His time will come.  

His time will indeed come. But it should be now.

If Southgate can't see what he's got on his hands with the right coaching (which in fairness many of us didn't either till this season), that's on him.

Can't wait to see how he develops with us.

37 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Even his dribble out of play at least showed a bit of ambition and intent. 

You just know he'd have nailed that if he'd been on 10 minutes earlier. 

I know it's been said ad nauseum everywhere, but how Gareth Southgate remains the only person who can't see the one of the more obvious fixes changes he needs to make is beyond me. He won'y actually learn anything. I bet any money the only change for the next game is Mainoo in for Gallagher. 

Least Gordon will be pretty fresh for next season.