Anthony Gordon

Jack27

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Only 2 more years.

He'll be sold within 12 months imo.

Gordon's a very effective wide player, and if he's a Liverpool fan, at some point he probably does dream of playing for them. We will have to look at the possibility of selling him while we can still get the best fee possible if we take emotion out of it. It's a shame because I'm sure Gordon loves it here, and Liverpool are probably the only club who could turn his head.

Just had a browse of the article:

"One source has described the saga as “a lot of hot air” but it has destabilised Gordon and Newcastle are worried about his state of mind before he returns to the club at the end of the European Championship for pre-season training."

Makes sense.

He goes onto say we didn't offer him to them to him, they were just being opportunistic.

Edited by The Prophet

2 minutes ago, captainhaircut said:

He’ll sign a new deal in the next 6 months. Deserves one anyway. 

Was really strange to discover that he only signed a 3.5 year deal.

I think this is all a play to get an improved contract which is valid, coming off the season he had. Currently on £60,000 a week.

Also tend to see players use interest from other clubs to justify a new contract too, which is fair enough.

If when he returns contract talks are difficult, can see a scenario where he does move, because next summer he will then be in the last year of his deal.

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Gordon's a very effective wide player, and if he's a Liverpool fan, at some point he probably does dream of playing for them. We will have to look at the possibility of selling him while we can still get the best fee possible if we take emotion out of it. It's a shame because I'm sure Gordon loves it here, and Liverpool are probably the only club who could turn his head.

Would he move back to Merseyside as a hated man?  He got a lot of grief last time

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Just had a browse of the article:

"One source has described the saga as “a lot of hot air” but it has destabilised Gordon and Newcastle are worried about his state of mind before he returns to the club at the end of the European Championship for pre-season training."

Makes sense.

He goes onto say we didn't offer him to them to him, they were just being opportunistic.

Explains why he fell off the bike.

Gordon still has plenty to prove and he knows it - his next challenge is to show last season wasn't a one-off and he can at least match it.

Of course he'd be tempted to go to a team in the CL back in his boyhood city but I've no doubt he'll be all-in at the start of the season for us.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Was really strange to discover that he only signed a 3.5 year deal.

I think this is all a play to get an improved contract which is valid, coming off the season he had. Currently on £60,000 a week.

Also tend to see players use interest from other clubs to justify a new contract too, which is fair enough.

If when he returns contract talks are difficult, can see a scenario where he does move, because next summer he will then be in the last year of his deal.

That can't be right.

Just now, 1964 said:

Would he move back to Merseyside as a hated man?  He got a lot of grief last time

Well I presume he'd move to a part where they have a Liverpool connection.

I'd be gutted if he did decide to leave, but he's not as untouchable as Bruno or Isak and we would only let him go for c£100m and we could do a lot with that.

Saying that, I hope it is hot air and I don't think Liverpool will pay that money for him and we won't let him go on the cheap so iyam this is a non-starter, just hope it doesn't affect his season. He's proven to be a professional with his head screwed on though so I don't think it will.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

That can't be right.

Keep seeing June 2026 from all the typical places you'd check.

Club never mentioned the number of years he signed for too, which is weird.

I think it is just a matter of time now before he leaves. - if not this season then next.  I think Liverpool need to get rid of players so they couldn’t justify the outlay for him at this stage but if they manage to sell a couple they may come back in for him and he would probably then agitate for the move.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Keep seeing June 2026 from all the typical places you'd check.

Club never mentioned the number of years he signed for too, which is weird.

Club mentioned "long term deal".

3,5 years does not sound like that.

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

I'd be gutted if he did decide to leave, but he's not as untouchable as Bruno or Isak and we would only let him go for c£100m and we could do a lot with that.

Saying that, I hope it is hot air and I don't think Liverpool will pay that money for him and we won't let him go on the cheap so iyam this is a non-starter, just hope it doesn't affect his season. He's proven to be a professional with his head screwed on though so I don't think it will.

Yeah, for some reason, I wouldn't be as concerned with him leaving as those two either.

Regarding the fee, the issue is when his current contract runs out. All the info available is saying 2026.

If that is true he needs a new contract pronto, otherwise by next summer, which would then be his final year, we would have to accept fees way under his value.

If we sign a significant upgrade at RW then we're looking at one of the deadliest attacks in the league, so naturally it would be heartbreaking if he left. There no onus on us to sell now, by all accounts, so it would come down to the player itching to move. I'd be very disappointed if he was twisting due to whatever happened over the weekend; he's worshipped by the fans and has all the trust and loyalty in the world from his manager, so I don't think he could convince me that he doesn't feel valued here. 

2 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Club mentioned "long term deal".

3,5 years does not sound like that.

The issue is the typical places you'd check, that have the contract lengths right for all our other players, are all saying June 2026.

4 minutes ago, andycap said:

He's a boyhood evertonian not a Liverpool fan. 

He's a Liverpool fan (as a kid) said that in a few interviews he's done

Edited by jack j