Anthony Gordon

Jack27

I'll preface this with I really rate Gordon. 

But of the players we could lose for megs money he's the one I could stomach the most. 

In some ways I see him as a more gifted version of Longstaff. That obviously sounds really unfair. Longstaff is a player who on his day (when he isn't being overplayed with injuries especially) looks a very handy player for us. And this is mainly down to Eddie's coaching and setup. And to Longstaff's credit he's very good at being coached and following instructions. In that sense whilst he's good for us I don't think he'd necessarily do well elsewhere. 

To a point I see Gordon in a slightly similar vein, albeit he's a much better footballer to start with. 

But I guess I don't see a "generational talent" there. Isak and Bruno for instance could walk into any PL 11 and not look out of place. I don't think that's the case with Gordon. 

If we were to get the mega bucks for him I think he's replaceable and would back Howe to get someone else up to his standard. The counterargument to this of course is we've struggled to get a RW in. 

Am I mad?

And that’s not accounting for the fact that he’s a very versatile player who has a brilliant attitude to improve so there’s no chance of him dropping off. To have his mentality, ability and pace all mixed together is incredibly rare

4 minutes ago, Cf said:

But of the players we could lose for megs money he's the one I could stomach the most. 

In some ways I see him as a more gifted version of Longstaff. That obviously sounds really unfair. Longstaff is a player who on his day (when he isn't being overplayed with injuries especially) looks a very handy player for us. And this is mainly down to Eddie's coaching and setup. And to Longstaff's credit he's very good at being coached and following instructions. In that sense whilst he's good for us I don't think he'd necessarily do well elsewhere. 

To a point I see Gordon in a slightly similar vein, albeit he's a much better footballer to start with. 

But I guess I don't see a "generational talent" there. Isak and Bruno for instance could walk into any PL 11 and not look out of place. I don't think that's the case with Gordon. 

If we were to get the mega bucks for him I think he's replaceable and would back Howe to get someone else up to his standard. The counterargument to this of course is we've struggled to get a RW in. 

Am I mad?

I think given your framing of the question no, you aren’t mad. It’s a tough one right? Life without our mad Brazilian is a life I don’t want :lol: and Isak is legit one of the best strikers in the world he’s an absolute monster who is still improving. 

Gordon would absolutely torture us every time we play against him mind. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

I think given your framing of the question no, you aren’t mad. It’s a tough one right? Life without our mad Brazilian is a life I don’t want :lol: and Isak is legit one of the best strikers in the world he’s an absolute monster who is still improving. 

Gordon would absolutely torture us every time we play against him mind. 

After what Chris Wood did I dread to think what Gordon would do against us [emoji38]

7 minutes ago, Cf said:

Am I mad?

Yep, he is an excellent footballer and we would miss him no doubt at all , however he isn't a generational talent with a wow factor like Isak or Bruno and if we have to sell one of them three for FFP then Gordon for 80/90 million to Liverpool would be the easiest to stomach and easiest to replace.

Just now, Geogaddi said:

Yep, he is an excellent footballer and we would miss him no doubt at all , however he isn't a generational talent with a wow factor like Isak or Bruno and if we have to sell one of them three for FFP then Gordon for 80/90 million to Liverpool would be the easiest to stomach and easiest to replace.

I’d rather sell my family to Real Madrid than see any of our better players playing for Liverpool tbh 

I've read some bollocks in my time. but calling Gordon a more gifted version of Longstaff is up there. 

Gordon, Isak and Bruno (arguably Botman pre injury) are the key spine of this team and would get into any of the red (and blue) cartel quite easily. 

Gordon has all the attributes to take him all the way to the top of the game, arguably last season he was the best left sided attacker in the league.   

Do not sell under any circumstances unless someone offers north of 120m, which is next 5 year game changing cash.  

5 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

I've read some bollocks in my time. but calling Gordon a more gifted version of Longstaff is up there. 

Gordon, Isak and Bruno (arguably Botman pre injury) are the key spine of this team and would get into any of the red (and blue) cartel quite easily. 

Gordon has all the attributes to take him all the way to the top of the game, arguably last season he was the best left sided attacker in the league.   

Do not sell under any circumstances unless someone offers north of 120m, which is next 5 year game changing cash.  

The Longstaff comparison is up there with one of the weirdest things I’ve read on here, which makes me think cf has been dared to say it :lol:

6 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

The Longstaff comparison is up there with one of the weirdest things I’ve read on here, which makes me think cf has been dared to say it :lol:

Gordon is clearly a better footballer than Longstaff. I hope I made that much obvious at least [emoji38]

I see what Cf's trying to say and I agree - on paper Anthony's qualities should be the easiest to replace of the 3.

Don't think there's a chance we'll sell him this summer though, regardless of the short contract - Liverpool seem to have plenty of players in that position. Think it's too early in M.Edwards and Slot's reign to splash more than £100mil on a player they don't really need. It's not their usual modus operandi either..

I just don’t get the comparison on any level.

Longstaff doesn’t push forward that much and I think is guilty of hiding at times.

Gordon is the polar opposite of that. 

both have the right team attitude though.

30 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

Absolutely! people saying we should sell our best players but not saying who would replace them!!! Such a lack of footballing knowledge! 

3 minutes ago, junkhead said:

I see what Cf's trying to say and I agree - on paper Anthony's qualities should be the easiest to replace of the 3.

Don't think there's a chance we'll sell him this summer though, regardless of the short contract - Liverpool seem to have plenty of players in that position. Think it's too early in M.Edwards and Slot's reign to splash more than £100mil on a player they don't really need. It's not their usual modus operandi either..

With who? 

2 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

With who? 

I've been losing my mind all summer shortlisting wingers for the right side - we still haven't signed anybody, so I'm not prepared to go over the names again for the left.. I love Anthony's determination but there are other quality wingers in the top 5 leagues. More so, than strikers of Isak's calibre or warrior playmakers who'd fall in love with us like Bruno..

40 minutes ago, junkhead said:

I've been losing my mind all summer shortlisting wingers for the right side - we still haven't signed anybody, so I'm not prepared to go over the names again for the left.. I love Anthony's determination but there are other quality wingers in the top 5 leagues. More so, than strikers of Isak's calibre or warrior playmakers who'd fall in love with us like Bruno..

They have to want to sign for us over far more successful recent trophy winning clubs who can pay higher wages and are playing in the Champions league?