Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

43 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We shouldn't just be able to spend billions on players, but we should be able to spend the same on fees and wages as what everyone is capable of when we have proof of funds, etc.

Agree. 

I also think that shouldn’t be a race where only the crazy rich owners or clubs can compete. But that horse has long bolted. 

46 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

The way to solve it would be to have an aligned transfer and wage cap for all Premier League clubs, that you can go up to by either turnover or owner proof of funds.

Which could be along the lines of £200 million net spend on transfers and a £350 million wage bill per season.

Net spend also favours mega clubs. Our net spend over the last 2.5 years is among the highest in Europe (top 3 perhaps). You can't close the gap on elite clubs by having the same amount of losses as them.

I'm not as pessimistic as some regarding our potential if the rules remain. My issue is the rules keep getting tighter and we don't exploit loopholes. We need to push back on the whole thing as a result. We need to change the public narrative to allow ambitious owners to invest. Someone proposed that teams that finish highest should have tighter controls than teams that finish lower in the league to increase competition. I think that approach is great + tougher safe guards to ensure owners can handle any losses clubs make and if they can't - prevent them from spending.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Net spend also favours mega clubs. Our net spend over the last 2.5 years is among the highest in Europe (top 3 perhaps). You can't close the gap on elite clubs by having the same amount of losses as them.

I'm not as pessimistic as some regarding our potential if the rules remain. My issue is the rules keep getting tighter and we don't exploit loopholes. We need to push back on the whole thing as a result. We need to change the public narrative to allow ambitious owners to invest. Someone proposed that teams that finish highest should have tighter controls than teams that finish lower in the league to increase competition. I think that approach is great + tougher safe guards to ensure owners can handle any losses clubs make and if they can't - prevent them from spending.

Can’t see the cartel clubs agreeing to that, can you?

8 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Can’t see the cartel clubs agreeing to that, can you?

Not at all.

Which is why I think the best thing to do is to legally challenge the whole thing and try and change public perception. "The right way" will never be implemented as-is. But for now, we can stop them from holding us and the likes back in the courts. Once that happens, what will be in their favour is something closer to "the right way". ATM we have rules that make clubs financial competitive advantage near unassailable. That has to be removed first and should be our primary goal. Once that is removed we need rules to encourage continuous competition.

Problem is nobody cares. We've had 2 PL winners in 6 years with 1 club winning 5. Nobody in power cares. It's all about cartels around Europe.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Not at all.

Which is why I think the best thing to do is to legally challenge the whole thing and try and change public perception. "The right way" will never be implemented as-is. But for now, we can stop them from holding us and the likes back in the courts. Once that happens, what will be in their favour is something closer to "the right way". ATM we have rules that make clubs financial competitive advantage near unassailable. That has to be removed first and should be our primary goal. Once that is removed we need rules to encourage continuous competition.

Problem is nobody cares. We've had 2 PL winners in 6 years with 1 club winning 5. Nobody in power cares. It's all about cartels around Europe.

Agree with what you say apart from nobody cares…..there’s now a lot of noise in the media and clubs are becoming more aware.

28 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Agree with what you say apart from nobody cares…..there’s now a lot of noise in the media and clubs are becoming more aware.

True. But there's a long way to go.

I think the narrative on FFP is only beginning to shift slightly because it's impacting Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea to a lesser extent. If Man U were run like Liverpool - the public discourse would be one-sided.

I also think Villa & Newcastle and offers suffer because we don't have public mouthpieces. Gary Neville and to a lesser extent Jamie Carragher shape a lot of the footballing discourse in this country.

Alan Shearer has the platform but doesn't have the nous or communication skills to have a detailed view on the topic and problems and to shape them as an issue of the game at large. I listen to Shearer's pod with Lineker - it's good fun but Shearer doesn't come across as well-versed in this realm at all.

I would like to hear Shay talk more at length about FFP. 

I like Purslow coming out. We need mouthpieces.

I'm a Madrid fan. I like how Perez throws his weight and influence around. I don't agree with a lot of his points but I like how he's pursuing them. His efforts have made the CL take steps towards his own ideals as it is. We want to be nice guys. Everybody hates us. We need to fight fire with fire until our opposition is willing to play fair(er).

Edited by The College Dropout

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

True. But there's a long way to go.

I think the narrative on FFP is only beginning to shift slightly because it's impacting Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea to a lesser extent. If Man U were run like Liverpool - the public discourse would be one-sided.

I also think Villa & Newcastle and offers suffer because we don't have public mouthpieces. Gary Neville and to a lesser extent Jamie Carragher shape a lot of the footballing discourse in this country.

Alan Shearer has the platform but doesn't have the nous or communication skills to have a detailed view on the topic and problems and to shape them as an issue of the game at large. I listen to Shearer's pod with Lineker - it's good fun but Shearer doesn't come across as well-versed in this realm at all.

I would like to hear Shay talk more at length about FFP. 

I like Purslow coming out. We need mouthpieces.

I'm a Madrid fan. I like how Perez throws his weight and influence around. I don't agree with a lot of his points but I like how he's pursuing them. His efforts have made the CL take steps towards his own ideals as it is. We want to be nice guys. Everybody hates us. We need to fight fire with fire until our opposition is willing to play fair(er).

We, as a club need to be saying doing more. Our takeover resulted in us being hated anyway, challenge this legally and give the fuckers something to really hate us for.

I think we're well and truly through the looking glass when it comes to reducing money's influence in football. Rules tend to favour vested interests.

It's worth remembering how influential all the 'other 14' owners are, when it comes to readily complying with regulations and just slyly sucking money out of the game from less high profile clubs. The rules have left the game nicely poised for an American commieball takeover, with drafts, no relegation and associated shite.

I've never known football to be such a rigged market in my lifetime. Maybe there's something comparable if you go back to the player wage cap days over half a century ago.

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

I think we're well and truly through the looking glass when it comes to reducing money's influence in football. Rules tend to favour vested interests.

It's worth remembering how influential all the 'other 14' owners are, when it comes to readily complying with regulations and just slyly sucking money out of the game from less high profile clubs. The rules have left the game nicely poised for an American commieball takeover, with drafts, no relegation and associated shite.

I've never known football to be such a rigged market in my lifetime. Maybe there's something comparable if you go back to the player wage cap days over half a century ago.

This is why a legal challenge is the only way to effect change🤷🏼‍♂️

Just set the max spend level for all clubs based on the revenue of the biggest clubs, that creates a level playing field. Allows clubs like us to compete but not spend to crazy levels. Not allowing owners to invest their own money into a football club in order to maintain the status quo is a joke and wouldn't be tolerated in any other industry. Maybe Everton shouldn't have help vote these rules in.

3 minutes ago, pubteam said:

Just set the max spend level for all clubs based on the revenue of the biggest clubs, that creates a level playing field. Allows clubs like us to compete but not spend to crazy levels. Not allowing owners to invest their own money into a football club in order to maintain the status quo is a joke and wouldn't be tolerated in any other industry. Maybe Everton shouldn't have help vote these rules in.

The cartel clubs ain’t going to have that:lol:

Headline should read:

Everton’s points deduction reduced by 4 points after they failed to claw themselves away from the relegation zone and the PL shit themselves they may get relegated

53 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

The cartel clubs ain’t going to have that:lol:

If everyone else voted for it they couldn't stop it.

Everyone else doesn't want to vote for it though.

Apart from the top 6 - every other club can be relegated. We are almost certainly becoming the 7th. They want to avoid more teams becoming untouchable and you do that by removing incentives for the wealthiest people becoming owners of clubs.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Here we gan...

GHREicrWcAAJ3js.jpeg

So they gave them back four points on the basis that Everton's calculations were just a mistake, rather than intentionally inaccurate and that they didn't consider relevant precedents when handing out the punishment?

Doesn't bode well for their second charge imo. It seems that the findings of FFP breaches weren't wrong, just that the punishment was too severe.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If everyone else voted for it they couldn't stop it.

Everyone else doesn't want to vote for it though.

Apart from the top 6 - every other club can be relegated. We are almost certainly becoming the 7th. They want to avoid more teams becoming untouchable and you do that by removing incentives for the wealthiest people becoming owners of clubs.

The more teams that are wealthy and become untouchables……what a competition we’d have though.