Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

20 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It’s based upon the issues I’ve outlined previously. 

Yes, we still have some low hanging fruit such as training ground and Training kit (I’m guessing stadium is a no go) but once we sign them deals the path to growing revenue will slow. We’ve had some great free hits with Adidas Sela and noon but they’ve all been signed now. 

The biggest brands want to be linked to the highest clubs and in order to be become one of the big boys we need success. We can’t obtain that consistently because we have a small budget it’s a vicious cycle. 

I don’t want to be negative but I’m yet to come across a theory which I believe is more realistic.

our growth model will be player trading and that’s fraught with its own dangers. 

There's nothing to suggest that player trading will be our growth model, we might benefit from selling players in the short term but that would essentially be a way of bringing forward future revenue growth, not a growth model in itself. Everything suggests the plan is to increase our commercial income.

10 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

There's nothing to suggest that player trading will be our growth model, we might benefit from selling players in the short term but that would essentially be a way of bringing forward future revenue growth, not a growth model in itself. Everything suggests the plan is to increase our commercial income.

How are we bridging the ever increasing gap if we aren’t doing it via player trading ?

Im just repeating my earlier posts at this bot so I’ll give it a rest but something has to give and we will all find out what in due course. 

Anything suggest other clubs (like us) will be able to compete with the top 6, or are these new regulations a way to further ensure domination?

Have to admit; I have barely bothered watching English football this season.

Much more looking forward to the Norwegian football starts. 

Think I’m all out next season if the game continues to be rigged (corrupt) for the top 6. 

37 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

FFP 😂

IMG_4896.jpeg

Interesting that since Abramovich ~20yrs ago Chelsea have only won 5 titles in 19 seasons (soon to be 20). Man City had two in 8 seasons before Guardiola arrived. They have (I think?) three Champions League trophies between them. Neither seemed to have "ruined" football.

23 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

How are we bridging the ever increasing gap if we aren’t doing it via player trading ?

Im just repeating my earlier posts at this bot so I’ll give it a rest but something has to give and we will all find out what in due course. 

How would we do that with player trading?

Will we be able to bridge the gap by growing commercial income? I don't know, but we won't really have a proper indication of that until the next few sets of accounts are published.

We all agree the FFP rules are just there to protect the established order, there's fuck all we can do about it so there's no point calling people bots out of frustration at that :thup:

Chelsea bridge the gap between Liverpool levels of revenue and the true European elite with their academy and other trading. 

You’re still allowed to financially dope your youth recruitment and setup.  We should do exactly that.  

That still takes 5+ year to come to fruition.  It took both Chelsea and City about a decade to get that going. 

Edited by The College Dropout

10 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

How would we do that with player trading?

Will we be able to bridge the gap by growing commercial income? I don't know, but we won't really have a proper indication of that until the next few sets of accounts are published.

We all agree the FFP rules are just there to protect the established order, there's fuck all we can do about it so there's no point calling people bots out of frustration at that :thup:

The bot was an auto correct typo apologies. 

And as mentioned given our commercial and match day income will lag the others player trading is all we will have left. And that’s working on the assumption they want to challenge for honours. 

35 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The bot was an auto correct typo apologies. 

And as mentioned given our commercial and match day income will lag the others player trading is all we will have left. And that’s working on the assumption they want to challenge for honours. 

:thup:

But there is absolutely no indication that's the case. Even if we sell Bruno for £100m in the summer we're pretty unlikely to find another £100m player for £40m. Every other club is competing in the same market with the same aim, there's no way to guarantee that a club makes a profit from transfers on the scale that would be needed (possibly other than through the academy as Chelsea have, but there's not much indication that we're going down that route in a big way).

Eales has talked about possibly selling to free up FFP headroom, but that is a temporary measure that essentially brings forward future revenue growth, not something to grow revenue itself.

Being realistic the only way our commercial income will continue to increase is if it is inflated in some way. We're not going to catch up just by being a well run club, there needs to be some way for PIF to get around FFP. The Adidas / Sela partnership smells of that, but if that is going on in the background it most of it won't be that visible.

If not we'll just be a much better run club than we were under Ashley and be at the top of the pack of also-rans, and that's fine.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Are Spurs not proof you can bridge the gap (at least financially) by being a well run club?

Needed a new stadium though didn’t they ?

Just now, The Prophet said:

Not sure if that came before or after, but it's undoubtedly helped.

I think that’s inevitably what will happen here unfortunately.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Are Spurs not proof you can bridge the gap (at least financially) by being a well run club?

They have a massive advantage from being in London. Also, timing is everything, if it hadn't been for us being terribly run post stock market floatation there would be a big 7 rather than a big 6, catching up now is a very different prospect.

34 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

But there is absolutely no indication that's the case. Even if we sell Bruno for £100m in the summer we're pretty unlikely to find another £100m player for £40m.

This is the insanity of the current rules. It forces clubs into decisions that have no basis in rationality.

Spurs essentially got where they are by buying the likes of Bale and selling him on, as well as brining through Kane and keeping him, unlike us with Carroll.

They saw what was ahead and got their new stadium that means they income outside of match day.

The thing is though, if we sign similar deals to them, both in terms of buying and selling players, as well as commercial deals, people would say that we were rigging it. No way should Spurs have got some of the deals they have got.

2 hours ago, maze said:

Anything suggest other clubs (like us) will be able to compete with the top 6, or are these new regulations a way to further ensure domination?

Have to admit; I have barely bothered watching English football this season.

Much more looking forward to the Norwegian football starts. 

Think I’m all out next season if the game continues to be rigged (corrupt) for the top 6. 

I’ve really enjoyed the championship this season to be honest, tried getting into rugby but the best thing about it is it’s 10 minutes shorter.

51 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

But there is absolutely no indication that's the case. Even if we sell Bruno for £100m in the summer we're pretty unlikely to find another £100m player for £40m. Every other club is competing in the same market with the same aim, there's no way to guarantee that a club makes a profit from transfers on the scale that would be needed (possibly other than through the academy as Chelsea have, but there's not much indication that we're going down that route in a big way).

Eales has talked about possibly selling to free up FFP headroom, but that is a temporary measure that essentially brings forward future revenue growth, not something to grow revenue itself.

Being realistic the only way our commercial income will continue to increase is if it is inflated in some way. We're not going to catch up just by being a well run club, there needs to be some way for PIF to get around FFP. The Adidas / Sela partnership smells of that, but if that is going on in the background it most of it won't be that visible.

If not we'll just be a much better run club than we were under Ashley and be at the top of the pack of also-rans, and that's fine.

We found Bruno for £40 million

Edited by Myleftboot