Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

They won't ever.

A lot of club owners like this setup. 6+14 like Ashley did. He was on the gravy train. Brighton have basically hacked the transfer market. Brighton qualified for Europe and sold £150m worth of player. They didn't bother reinvesting it all. No desire to kick-on.

The thing I'm starting to understand less and less is why the 6 (and particularly 4 of them) aren't interested in blowing up all of the current rules in favor of a generous cap on wages + amortisation (let's say £4-500m). They'd still have a massive advantage over most, it would slow down City, they'd have UEFA's rules as a backstop to help hold back the likes of us, and, critically for them, it would allow profits to be claimed while slowing down the never-ending spending race.

It may put them at a disadvantage to a handful of European clubs, but I don't get the impression that most of these owners care more about beating the likes of Madrid than they do about putting money back in their pockets. 

9 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

Free for all, by far. And it's not even close. 

Can easily make the argument that allowing uncapped spending would put us, PSG and City on a completely different plane to the rest of the clubs and make it even less competitive than it is now, which in itself would be total hypocrisy. 

Furthermore the implications of uncapped spending could be detrimental to the market and  more importantly the fans. If a nation is allowed to spend whatever they want then why would they care what the fans think or want? 

And tbf, I did say they need updating to allow for competition to grow but not at the behest of the above.

I dont think us or City would spend much more on players than Man United for example… 

We’re nearly at the end of the first week of City’s arbitration case and no leaks so far. I wonder if that’s due to the case not going well for the PL or that all the journo’s have been warned off?

50 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

We’re nearly at the end of the first week of City’s arbitration case and no leaks so far. I wonder if that’s due to the case not going well for the PL or that all the journo’s have been warned off?

Hopefully both! 

13 minutes ago, andycap said:

I see chelsea are just going for every fucker again they couldn't care less could they. 😂 

Boehly must read the media gossip columns every morning and go for any players that’s rumoured to be joining top half clubs!

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

Boehly must read the media gossip columns every morning and go for any players that’s rumoured to be joining top half clubs!

Remember, when we were kids, playing "Bags I" with Wor Sis. Turn the pages of the Grattons catalogue and shout "Bags I" whilst putting ya finger on the thing you want 😂 (*) 

Boehly must do that with his Panini book over his pancakes, the blimp. 

* never had Sky, you see

Edited by Groundhog63

52 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Remember, when we were kids, playing "Bags I" with Wor Sis. Turn the pages of the Grattons catalogue and shout "Bags I" whilst putting ya finger on the thing you want 😂 (*) 

Boehly's musf do that with his Panini book over his pancakes, the blimp. 

* never had Sky, you see

My mother had a Littlewoods catalogue, come to think of it my dad did Littlewoods Pools every week……..if only he knew he was helping to fund the red scousers, he’ll be turning in his grave!!

7 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

you'd think PIF could just buy up some hotels and find a way to sell them off through the club so we could go big like Chelsea 

It’s not as if one of our partners own a shedload of property or anything

Isn't it Chelsea selling it to themselves though?  So wouldn't it be like Newcastle selling St James Park to PIF for £1Billion pounds ...

cb0cbca598ff93d17492d2d63167b292.gif

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

Boehly's musf do that with his Panini book over his pancakes, the blimp. 

* never had Sky, you see

Only done that with the winter catalogue as it had all the Christmas stuff in. 

When I got slightly older I'd tell my mam I was taking the catalogue (Brian Mills) upstairs to err........look at the stereos :whistle:

:fwap:

50 minutes ago, madras said:

When I got slightly older I'd tell my mam I was taking the catalogue (Brian Mills) upstairs to err........look at the stereos :whistle:

Brian Mills is what we had too :) Apart from the obvious I remember they misprinted the games that came with the Nintendo Entertainment Systems - "Dick Hunt".

54 minutes ago, madras said:

“Fishing gear” for me at my Nannas! 

As I said before this game is getting too complicated for anyone but advanced accountants and lawyers to understand....

Media s*** stirrers don't help.

On one hand we're bidding 60m for Olise, and on the other we haven't got a pot to piss in without selling half the first team.

Is it conceivable the club actually knows more about what's available than Sky and Talksport do?

3 hours ago, Ginola14 said:

you'd think PIF could just buy up some hotels and find a way to sell them off through the club so we could go big like Chelsea 

I know that's tongue in cheek, but this is exactly why I think it's the PSR rules need to change before the associated party rules do.

That way, it's a slightly fairer and more level playing field for everyone, rather than some clubs (who able to) using various tactics to get around them.

The other way around, i.e. keep PSR but allowing any sort of sponsorships etc to meet those rules, then it's just pulling up the drawbridge in a different way. In which case, I can completely understand fans of other clubs thinking that's just a different way to turn the league into a closed shop.

38 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

As I said before this game is getting too complicated for anyone but advanced accountants and lawyers to understand....

Media s*** stirrers don't help.

On one hand we're bidding 60m for Olise, and on the other we haven't got a pot to piss in without selling half the first team.

Is it conceivable the club actually knows more about what's available than Sky and Talksport do?

I think the basic view is that we need to balance the books before the end of June, after which we will be able to spend again due to our 1st year of transfers under the new owners coming off the books, and then the increase in commercial income.

As it happens I don’t think the club would have put us in a position where we do need to sell or face a points deduction, we might be close to it, but I don’t think we would have crossed the line. Of course though, none of that sells copies of the Sun, gets people watching SSN, or phoning in to TalkSport, so the narrative will be that by the media.