Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (11/02/2023)

Disco

Let's be honest, 10th would not be progress this season considering the start we've had.

We've hit a rough patch and that's OK. We don't need to melt down, we don't need reminding where we were last season. We're just a good team that's hit an average run of results. It'll turn, like form always does.

Still positive and will take the away point. No easy games in the premier league, look at Tottenham's result against Leicester.

Bruno is obviously a Big miss,  Realistically we are still 4 or 5 players away from a top 6 side.

So on to Liverpool hopefully the crowd get right behind us and we get the three points we deserved the last time way played them.

HWTL.

Edited by prefabtoon

A frustrating performance and result but in our dip we still aren’t losing. A few players look a big jaded E.g Burn and we’re lacking a bit of rhythm in our play but we weren’t terrible yesterday. Disjointed and frustrating though yes. I don’t doubt the cup is playing on our minds too though. 

To give some perspective Spurs who have much greater depth squad wise got mullered 4-1 by Leicester yesterday. 

7 hours ago, DMLeazesender said:

Team looked leggy. Nothing wrong with the players, they aren't superhuman and can't be expected to keep up our high press/pace/tempo all season without being rotated and given a rest, it's the depth of the squad that needs improving (and will be in time).

The improvement all round since the takeover has been fuckin immense.

It was a bad day at the office but still got a result away from home.

Fantastic to see the reception Eddie got so for that alone Bournemouth deserved something.

Consider 15 months ago...........I'm fuckin delighted!!

HTL:indi:

If you liked Eddie’s reception, you’d have loved Fraser’s!!

”You know what you are, you know what you arrrrrrre, Ryan Fraser, you know what you are!”

And 

“He plays on the left, he plays on the riiight, (insert name of Bournemouth player) makes Fraser look sh1te!”

”We want Fraser on, we want Fraser on!”

also their P.A when announcing our team pre-match went through the subs out of order, deliberately leaving Fraser last so that the crowd could settle into a good boo of him. Was class to be fair!

@WillDanceForChocolate Jefferson Lerma had very little English apparently so didn’t get anything out of him.

Keiffer Moore, Lerma, Solanke all seemed very nice though! 

Lacked intensity in a way I’ve not seen from us this season. The team looks really tired and Bruno makes such a difference to the comfort levels of other players. So many dumb decisions by players today which may have some overlap with tiredness.

Miggy’s finish was sensational. Also, if Trips has deliberately stopped the shot on the goal line with the outside of his boot because of the lack of room to manoeuvre then he is a genius. 

Edited by Shays Given Tim Flowers

11 hours ago, gbandit said:

It has to be said that whilst Bournemouth were a bunch of pathetic slugs playing to the referee, they did a great job of closing out space to us and defending with a good shape. We got in behind them once or twice but they forced us away from the penalty area everytime. Defensively, they were really solid even though we were also awful at moving the ball 

At the same time there was a couple of times isak was around the box with only him and one defended it fb and he couldn’t beat them - I expected more from him to be honest.

13 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We were leggy and Bournemouth were really good, same as West Ham really. As disappointing as it is our results since the break aren't even THAT bad. We can still make top 4 and Man Utd, Brighton and Spurs will also go through more average/poor runs.

Agree with you that spurs will but I don’t think Man U and Brighton will.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

At the same time there was a couple of times isak was around the box with only him and one defended it fb and he couldn’t beat them - I expected more from him to be honest.

He had a poor game for sure, think everyone agrees on that 

Just now, Gawalls said:

Agree with you that spurs will but I don’t think Man U and Brighton will.

Man Utd have a fixture pileup so hopefully we see the effects of that.

Brighton look fantastic, I agree it's hard to see them dipping at the minute but once a team gets 'sussed' they tend to pick up a few unexpected draws and losses.

Have we Peaked with this playing squad ?

The dynamics have changed massively, I suspect the mentality of the players has changed from desperation, determination and pure passion, a year ago we were fighting for our Premier  League survival, every game was a Cup Final !

Now the whole aura surrounding NUFC , from every angle including the supporter base, is that now going into games we expect to Win them.

Can't fault the effort, but the urgency and desire to Win the game has been replaced with, we'll win this and we should have Won this game.

Sheff Wed should have been a wake up call, instead all we did was make excuses, instead of recognising Wednesday wanted it more than us.

Has Eddie Howe reached the summit of his ability ?

I'll probably gets pelters for this, but as the saying goes, "it's nice to be nice, but nice guys win nothing!"

Eddie deserves every accolade, his transformation of the players has been magical, Joelinton in particular, borders on the unbelievable, is Eddie Howe capable of taking us to the next level, maybe he is, but do the owners gamble on a Eddie future or do they find an experienced European Manager, someone with Champions League experience and a track record of winning Leagues and Titles.

A lot depends on the Carabao Cup game and the remaining league games, Win the Cup and finish the season strong with a top four finish and I'd expect Eddie is safe for another year, if the wheels fall off and we fall in a heap, Eddie Howe's future with Newcastle United will be in doubt!

NUFC is a different beast now, we are not here just to compete, make no bones about it, we are here to be the BEST.

Tin hat on!

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Man Utd have a fixture pileup so hopefully we see the effects of that.

Brighton look fantastic, I agree it's hard to see them dipping at the minute but once a team gets 'sussed' they tend to pick up a few unexpected draws and losses.

Brighton seem to have a system throughout the club and it just works which is why they haven’t missed potter one bit and it’s becoming clear he was just a cog there.

That’s the main solace of the poor jan window for me - ashworths building that same system here, it just takes time.

Edited by Gawalls

4 minutes ago, Wild Geese said:

Have we Peaked with this playing squad ?

The dynamics have changed massively, I suspect the mentality of the players has changed from desperation, determination and pure passion, a year ago we were fighting for our Premier  League survival, every game was a Cup Final !

Now the whole aura surrounding NUFC , from every angle including the supporter base, is that now going into games we expect to Win them.

Can't fault the effort, but the urgency and desire to Win the game has been replaced with, we'll win this and we should have Won this game.

Sheff Wed should have been a wake up call, instead all we did was make excuses, instead of recognising Wednesday wanted it more than us.

Has Eddie Howe reached the summit of his ability ?

I'll probably gets pelters for this, but as the saying goes, "it's nice to be nice, but nice guys win nothing!"

Eddie deserves every accolade, his transformation of the players has been magical, Joelinton in particular, borders on the unbelievable, is Eddie Howe capable of taking us to the next level, maybe he is, but do the owners gamble on a Eddie future or do they find an experienced European Manager, someone with Champions League experience and a track record of winning Leagues and Titles.

A lot depends on the Carabao Cup game and the remaining league games, Win the Cup and finish the season strong with a top four finish and I'd expect Eddie is safe for another year, if the wheels fall off and we fall in a heap, Eddie Howe's future with Newcastle United will be in doubt!

NUFC is a different beast now, we are not here just to compete, make no bones about it, we are here to be the BEST.

Tin hat on!

The real question you’re asking here is this: “Is Eddie Howe able to coach a side to consistently beat the poorest teams in the league?” The answer is emphatically yes. No need for a tin hat for you. But if you question whether Howe can turn draws against Leeds, Wham, Bournemouth etc into wins just look at last season. 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

@Wild Geeseno, Eddie has not reached the summit of his ability, no we don’t need a different manager with success in Europe. Howay man

Agreed that he hasn’t reached his limit but I still so believe he has one personally, I do think in a few years time (minimum) we’ll need to say “Howe away  man!!”

Watched some of it back and the game never seems as bad as at the time, still not great viewing obviously.

I don't think it's legginess, but we seem to have switched tactics a bit with Bruno out in terms of our press aggression, maybe we're more concerned about being caught on the break. Or maybe ASM and Isak don't lead the press as well. I also felt Trippier was a lot more concerned about bombing on than usual.

There were some signs of some half-decent linkup but, ultimately, it just looked like forward players who haven't played with eachother much. There were a lot of times Isak would make a dart only to be ignored etc. Bruno does things a second quicker (as well as making unexpected moves) than most and we miss that as well as his defensive dirty work.

Howe showed during the 1-2 year period from him leaving Bournemouth that he's able to learn incredible quickly. He went from being known as a defensive liability to being able to coach one of the best defences in Europe [emoji38]

I cannot think of many managers I would trust to take us into Europe more.