Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

17 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

So who didn't today, I was celebrating with 3 different people today?

Sounds great. But a few people seem to want to recreate the kind of match atmosphere they'd enjoyed instead of sitting waiting to be entertained.

Maybe times have moved on. Hope not

9 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

I've always thought the atmosphere is better anywhere when the fans feel needed and the game is there to be won than when the game is won.

The Leicester 7-1 would be an example or any thrashing Man United have handed out over the years as opposed a tight game versus a rival.

Probably have a different outlook if the halves were reversed.

Either way, waste of life to get more worked up about this than anything else.

Exactly, there was zero intensity to the game after 5-0 and it feeds into the grounds at all stadiums.

Edited by El Prontonise

The only answer is a singing enclosure but that’s not really what the standing section is being branded as which is a worry. 

We had standing at Wembley in our biggest game in years and by all accounts it wasn’t much better in there. 

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's not really though, as threads go it's been more or less hijacked. All part and parcel of being on a forum, but just saying. We've just won 6-1, everyone's happy. Coming in here and seeing yet more whingeing about the atmosphere from the same people is fucking boring, shite craic, sorry.

Happened during the KK days too that are possibly now being used as the gage.

Edited by Wolfcastle

As I said right at the beginning of the thread....the issue is not that NUFC now has crap support, it's the fact that the stadium is too top-heavy with spectators/casual fans and the traditional football fans are unable to get back in, and the ones that remain are too interspersed around the ground. These are two issues that need to be urgently addressed by the club.

On 02/03/2023 at 13:49, NUFC91 said:

Oh when the mags

Blaydon races

We love you newcastle

N and an e

Whos that team

We are the geordies

Howay the lads

We hate nottingham forest

We are the geordies the cock of north

They call us newcastle united.

The fullwell end

If you proud to be a geordie clap ya hands

Any obrien

If you want to go to heaven when ya die (black and white bonnet) 

United united united

We are the geordies of nufc

Somebody stole my sombrero

Terry hibert

Ginola (lola)

Ex players/players andy cole etc.

We've travelled far and wide.

On 02/03/2023 at 13:49, NUFC91 said:

These were all sang up in level 7 amongst others.. give me that any day of week...

Its simple what we need to do..get the lads together who want to stand amd educate youth..its possible.

Bumping this for the eieio/bruno in middle Adam Pearson crew....

4 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

This isn't 1993 and still have terraces etc.  You do realise the stadium makes a difference to the atmosphere in all seaters and have many more families etc inside stadiums now?

Yes, I am very aware of that. But I’ve also been part of the atmosphere in 2009-2012 when there was 3000 nutters aged anywhere from 12-50 in Leazes Level 7. That also wasn’t 1993. 

If you want to make excuses for the modern day demographic, be my guest. 

I attended as a 7 year old and was taught the songs by my old man and joined in with the old Toon Ultras as best as I could. I didn’t even know who Nottingham Forest were when I was singing about them as an 8 year old! 

I saw a little lad today playing a game on his phone next to his dad just after the fifth went in. If that’s the experience a dad and lad want these days then I and many others in this thread clearly have a very different mind set. 

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

As I said right at the beginning of the thread....the issue is not that NUFC now has crap support, it's the fact that the stadium is too top-heavy with spectators/casual fans and the traditional football fans are unable to get back in, and the ones that remain are too interspersed around the ground. These are two issues that need to be urgently addressed by the club.

This put better than any other post on here... all about a reshuffle and an "end"

3 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Exactly, there was zero intensity to the game after 5-0 and it feeds into the grounds at all stadiums.

So basically, your benchmark is "all football grounds are like this now, so why should ours be any different". Sorry, but that's not good enough. The point you are missing is that fans are supposed to create intensity when games go flat. You are essentially condoning the support for simply reacting to what happens on the pitch, rather than them making a proper effort to have an effect on the events.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

So basically, your benchmark is "all football grounds are like this now, so why should ours be any different". Sorry, but that's not good enough. The point you are missing is that fans are supposed to create intensity when games go flat. You are essentially condoning the support for simply reacting to what happens on the pitch, rather than them making a proper effort to have an effect on the events.

Which law / rules makes it that football fans have to create an atmosphere?

Edited by El Prontonise

I think by modern Premier League standards our atmosphere is pretty good. It constantly gets commented on by BT/Sky, perhaps they are just playing along with the stereotype? Or is the atmosphere nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe? 

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with striving to be better. It isn't going to happen overnight though and they aren't suddenly going to make the whole lower Gallowgate a standing "signing section", it'll be done gradually, starting with the small section in the corner then expanded if it's successful.

I also wonder whether the hypothetical "Fan Park" would be used to play a role. If you have a large area for fans to congregate pre-match, have a few drinks and be encouraged to get some chants going (would music & lyrics on big screens be to cringey?) then perhaps that would permeate into the ground?

Anyway, we've just humped Spurs 6-1 so I'm finding it hard to be annoyed about anything tbh

There is no ground or arena in any country in the world in any sport where the fans will be in full voice at 5-0 up (or the equivalent) man :lol: that’s just a completely unreasonable expectation unless you’re going to downsize every stadium to 5,000, sell tickets only to Ultras, and kick out all the normies.

1 hour ago, Holloway said:

It seems a bit daft to be bickering about the atmosphere after that feast

I'd agree but when you see the 2 Brazilian lads trying to gee up abit from the crowd it was pretty sad that there wasn't much coming back for them. They'll probably be thinking what a bunch of miserable bastards

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Not atmosphere I know, but couldn’t believe the amount of people leaving early. 3:45pm on a Sunday afternoon, why not stay another 10 minutes and applaud the lads off ffs?

Aye, that's the thing you should be pissed off about imo.  Was stupidly high number especially with it being an afternoon kick off.

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

I'd agree but when you see the 2 Brazilian lads trying to gee up abit from the crowd it was pretty sad that there wasn't much coming back for them. They'll probably be thinking what a bunch of miserable bastards

I didn't notice it on the tv in the pub tbh, I was too busy having it. Fair enough

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

Aye, that's the thing you should be pissed off about imo.  Was stupidly high number especially with it being an afternoon kick off.

Was the same in the 37th minute before half time as well. 

Don’t understand it. Hard as fuck to get a ticket and at 5-0 people are more arsed about going for a lifting pint of Carling. 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Was the same in the 37th minute before half time as well. 

Don’t understand it. Hard as fuck to get a ticket and at 5-0 people are more arsed about going for a lifting pint of Carling. 

Quite glad those who turn up late missed almost everything today (unless it was genuine excuse).

Edited by El Prontonise

10 minutes ago, Holloway said:

I didn't notice it on the tv in the pub tbh, I was too busy having it. Fair enough

Aye on more than one occasion as well

I know the South Americans like to do it, but Joelinton genuinely looked frustrated when he was doing it.

Abit of fuck me we are putting this show on for yous give us a bit back man