Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

As been mentioned, once the 5 goals had gone in and everyone had caught their breath, there was a 5-10 min spell where everyone was talking to one another about wtf they’d just witnessed. 

You could hear a collective “chat” going on, it’s not something I’ve heard before. There’d been no chance to discuss any of the goals up to that point as we’d just kept scoring another.

I don’t think either Bruno or Joelinton were trying to gee the crowd up, I think they were just joining in. The looks on some of our players faces after some of the goals was pure rage. 

PA guy needs to get in the sea like. 

He fucking announced stoppage time in both half’s when we were on the edge of the fucking box. Use your brain man. 

I didn’t like him announcing the full score either. Bit small time that.

Less said about DJ Otzi the better. 

How the DJ can be so out of touch is beyond me. That's the man u game and spurs where he's ruined the vibe with that shite song. If Wilson scores there's a part of me that cringes at the thought of that idiot playing that shite. You would have a point if Wilson had scored a screamer or a last gasp winner but not the last goal in a hammering FFS. 

As for the atmosphere, wouldn't it be great if we could get something going either pre match or toward the end where the Blaydon Races is sung by the whole ground at full voice, in unison and at a slower tempo. What a sight to behold that would really be. Say what you want about forest and their Mull of Kintyre but I think it's class.

22 hours ago, LFEE said:

Had an interesting conversation for ambiguity only with our flag wavers.

Basically the club are approx 4th in priority when controlling our match day build up. EPL and Sponsers and broadcasters lead the way in the musical build up including what is played and when and for how long. Plan to challenge this with the NUST at next meeting but in all honesty it’s all totally believable when explained.

For those on the same page regarding reduction in music/volume it has been requested but out of “his” hands.

Thought I’d repost this to hopefully answer the last few posts in here ?

9 hours ago, Yorkie said:

My opinion on music at the game changed after the morose Bournemouth home game where the lack of music definitely contributed to the miserly mood (I was formerly of the view that no music might be a good thing).

Yes, it's a fair shout, but it's also worth considering that the silence comes from the expectation of deafening music. Maybe given a few games without music, fans would learn to fill the void?

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Thought I’d repost this to hopefully answer the last few posts in here ?

Who’s responsible for the volume of the music, if not the announcer/DJ? Cant be sponsors etc surely, other grounds don’t seem to have music as loud as us... we shouldn’t be playing anything at all during full time imo, aside from perhaps (at lower volume) the wild theme version of local hero, due to its melodic, low key (but damn beautiful) style. (Side note, I believe this can be heard during the lap of honour at the end of the 99/00 season)

Just had a flashback to the announcer shouting “BRUUUUNNNNOOOO” in a really cringe and camp way when announcing the team :lol: 

Even that feels like it is timed wrong and it’s announced too early. It’s quite a bit before kick off and seems like a lot of fans aren’t even in their seats or in the mood for chanting and getting overly excited 15 mins before KO. 

Did Alan Robson used to do the announcing or is that purely something I've created in my head from seeing him at the Shearer signing unveiling?

Edited by KDT

Why doesn't Justin Lockwood do the whole thing instead of just half time

Sure I remember him doing it early 2000s when I first started going...mebbes am getting mixed up with him doing the radio like

On 24/04/2023 at 00:09, LFEE said:

Had an interesting conversation for ambiguity only with our flag wavers.

Basically the club are approx 4th in priority when controlling our match day build up. EPL and Sponsers and broadcasters lead the way in the musical build up including what is played and when and for how long. Plan to challenge this with the NUST at next meeting but in all honesty it’s all totally believable when explained.

For those on the same page regarding reduction in music/volume it has been requested but out of “his” hands.

Whilst there may be some external factors who have a say in the build up music, I refuse to believe there's mysterious evil dark forces at work behind the scenes who insist he turns the volume up to 11 and plays DJ FUCKING OTZI at the end of a match

He's a shite announcer / DJ. He needs to either learn from his mistakes and use some common sense in his future selections, or pack his bags, slip into his red coat and go back to hosting mini-disco's at Butlins

Edited by bobbydazzla

On 24/04/2023 at 22:34, pedro111 said:

How the DJ can be so out of touch is beyond me. That's the man u game and spurs where he's ruined the vibe with that shite song. If Wilson scores there's a part of me that cringes at the thought of that idiot playing that shite. You would have a point if Wilson had scored a screamer or a last gasp winner but not the last goal in a hammering FFS. 

I'm guessing, from his point of view, he sees thousands of people cheering, waving flags and some (although not many for Otzi) singing along and thinks all is good.  Of course, the relevant context is that after a 6-1 win against Spurs or battering Man Utd his job is redundant, he could play sunderland songs accompanied with photos of Mike Ashley and Dennis Wise on the big screen and he would still see a positive atmosphere in the stadium.

There was an article about behind the scenes staff at SJP last year and he featured in that and I remember some positive quotes (possibly from Staveley) praising him because he reacts to the crowd when selecting his songs which is important for a DJ. Hence why Hey Jude is such an "inspired" choice of pre-match music despite lots of us thinking it's wank, generic and far too scouse.

He has relatively recently started picking a post-match tune of relevance e.g for one of the goalscorers (it was "Give it up" after the Wolves game where Miggy scored the winner.) As a gimmick I think this is a bit wank, but will I join in anyway? Aye probably, because basically I like having a sing at the match. Im doing so am I encouraging the nonsense? Possibly, it's Catch 22.

I'm hoping that whoever gets to liaise with the club about it, be it the Trust or Flags or whoever, will pass on some constructive criticisms because rocking up and saying "he's shite get him sacked" like a two-year-old won't get anyone anywhere. But if someone the owners trust can bend their ear and explain that he's a bit much and it's really not necessary to get an atmosphere going then they might get some joy. The volume is ridiculous and a matter of urgency and Doris fucking Day in particular needs to never ever ever be played again at the stadium because nobody needs to be told to celebrate getting to a major final.

Apart from that, and in fairness to him, it isn't the DJ that decided to adopt DJ bastard Otzi as a Callum Wilson chant it was our bloody fans so we're partially responsible for that one.

Tldr; We either need a new song for Isak ASAP or we're going to be hearing a lot of ABBA over the next year or two :lol: but hopefully not so loud it bursts the fucking eardrums.

58 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Tldr; We either need a new song for Isak ASAP or we're going to be hearing a lot of ABBA over the next year or two :lol: but hopefully not so loud it bursts the fucking eardrums.

It's never too loud for ABBA.

Just been thinking about safe standing for next season. At the moment a few hundred stand but thst should increase to 1800. Hopefully like other clubs this will spread across gallowgate with time and maybe help drive seat moves.

Thinking about away grounds I have been to numerous times that have changed.

Goodison-first few times the Gladis street end were sitting.

Old trafford- Stretford end sere sitting.

Molineux, emirates and few others all seating. Something clearly changed at these grounds.

Do we think we could the increased amount could help? Wish it was in leazes in all fairrness.

3 minutes ago, huss9 said:

just watched everton's pregame shenanigans. why dont they carry tht on inside the stadium.

i know the team are shit, but i can imagine it would be quite intimidating.

That noise from just my tv as they walked out tells me the place was lit right up.

We were intimidated. Showed it got to us by our play in the first half hour