Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

44 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Who would have thought people who have travelled 300 miles and been on the drink for 2 or 3 solid days would struggle to do their best?

Never stopped them at the other 4 Wembley appearances I've seen us at, or Cardiff for that matter. Cardiff was absolutely deafening, clearly helped by the design of the stadium which pisses all over Wembley.

Another couple of points regarding the design of SJP and the demographic of the fanbase.

Firstly nobody can deny that we have a far older crowd than we had 30 years ago. Average age in the East Stand must be about 60 and it must be in the 40s for the 3 other stands, other than Level 7. It's just human nature that as people get older they become less excitable. All ticket crowds and ticket prices have meant that groups of young lads (those who traditionally made the most noise) no longer go along in the same numbers as they once did as they either can't afford it of can't sit together. A large safe standing area would solve one of those problems however which is the ultimate goal.

Secondly the design of our stadium, I'm sorry to say is shite. The Gallowgate sounds loud when it's in full flow, as long as you are in it, as the low roof amplifies and concentrates the noise into that Stand. However if you are in the Leazes they aren't really audible. The Leazes End has 3k away fans above them who can easily drown them out and the high stands of there and the Milburn means a lot of sound just escapes out of the ground. Extending the Gallowgate to the same height as the Leazes/Milburn should in theory solve some part of the acoustics problem. It would give us an almost identical design and capacity as Celtic Park and that place can make a racket when need be.

6 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

The accoustics are shite I agree but i think increased number of standing is only option. I think i'd actually favour leazes corner.

If you mean L7 it's too far away from the pitch to have a decent impact. I used to have a season ticket up there when it was the old singing corner. I loved it and the atmosphere up there was brilliant! However when you spoke to people in other parts of the ground they would all say they couldn't really hear us and there was over 3k of us in that section. Same applies with the current away section. If you are in the Gallowgate Upper for example you wouldn't really know there's any away fans in the ground for the most part.

Is standing that closely related to singing? Or do we really need a signing section rather than a standing section?

I would sing all game but I'd rather have the option to sit down a bit :lol:

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Is standing that closely related to singing? Or do we really need a signing section rather than a standing section?

Suppose with standing sections they still have rail seating no?

25 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think it's a massive factor aye, if you look at the most vocal part of any premier League ground you'll see they're stood for 90 mins.

Bit chicken and egg like, but Im definitely louder when I'm stood up rather than seated. 

31 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

definitely related in my opinion.

people are just more verbally and physically animated when they’re stood up in a group. 

same at gigs, if you’re at a music venue where everyone is sat down it’s usually flat. get everyone standing and the atmosphere is loads better. 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Back in 2004 when I was fed up with the atmosphere I helped set up Bring Back The Noise in L7 which later merged with Toon Ultras. Was amazing watching it grow in L7 and as others have said, I have so many amazing memories from up there. 3K strong all standing, belting out songs none stop and a great variation too. The banter with the away fans was so good - they were utterly put in their place each time. I remember Liverpool home, Pardew's first game, the atmosphere was very fiery with the scousers and they were very much shut down by us. 

I used to cringe around 2003/04 when the away fans used to dominate the atmosphere without much a response but after L7 was set up (unofficially and later officially) the away fans SJP never got their own way - exactly how it should be.

After Ashley broke it up, some moved to the strawberry corner and it was still good there at times but ultimately fizzled out compared to what it used to be, although there has remained a solid core who I think help start things. I moved to the upper Gallowgate for the season after promotion under Rafa and again it was really good at times but other times flat. There was a good core there also but people didn't join in too much once you went past a certain amount of rows. I stopped then going after that season as my own protest after it become unequivocally obvious Ashley was never going to change and back Benitez.

I have had one game back since, back of the Gallowgate again, Burnley last season 1-0 which tbf the support was really good that day I thought, quite consistent throughout, certainly second half. But even from tv - which I know can sometimes can be unreliable - it seems to be very flat at times. The Southampton semi final for example seemed dead apart from the last 10mins. 

Couple of points going forward:

As others have said, I think having 2 sections is important, to bounce off each other and help connect the rest of the ground. 

I also think having that banter with the away fans is massive. For me I'd love to see Leazes L4 a singing section - its closer to the pitch but the away fans are still 'to the left' of you the back & forth can get going. Heck, even better is what I think what someone else said - the whole corner, from L7 down to L4 would be spot on. Perhaps the lower level can be 'cut off' from the 'section' if its a numbers game. 

I really miss having that atmosphere with the away fans, it was like a second match going on. If the strawberry corner was a second singing section then the two corners could also bounce off each other. I completely understand what people say about the Gallowgate roof and can see the appeal of having that whole stand the focus of a signing and/or standing section. But I think having that aggro/banter/battle with the away fans is an aspect that needs to be brought back in some way.

I know there is the survey going around regarding safe standing. But is it not worth canvassing supporters about a possible singing section or certain areas being used? 

Guess it would be a minefield logistically. But then under Ashley, I did just get told I couldn’t have my ST in Level 7. Everyone tried to move to L4 and that wasn’t allowed, either! 

I’m not saying forcibly move ST holders like they did, mind :lol: But if enough people showed interest and regular match going ST holders and members put their name to something like this. Would Wor Flags, NUST and the club not have to take a bit of notice? 

Unrelated to people mentioning singing sections etc, but, seen a lot mainly on Twitter, of fans saying how lazy we are with our chants, literally only singing Bruno in the middle, Joelinton, and up the premier league, all copied from other clubs chants and tweaked. 

I must admit the Bruno in the middle is getting a bit over used and irritating these days.

It's like we only know four chants.

Pre millennium we were the founders of chants, we didn't recycle other clubs.

5 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Unrelated to people mentioning singing sections etc, but, seen a lot mainly on Twitter, of fans saying how lazy we are with our chants, literally only singing Bruno in the middle, Joelinton, and up the premier league, all copied from other clubs chants and tweaked. 

I must admit the Bruno in the middle is getting a bit over used and irritating these days.

It's like we only know four chants.

Pre millennium we were the founders of chants, we didn't recycle other clubs.

The song book is embarrassing it doesn’t even need new chants, just some of the old ones to come back. I don’t even think I heard our lot sing newcastle newcastle newcastle, never mind the Blaydon races on Sunday.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You can sit in safe standing. Your spot comes with a seat just like normal 🙂

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

If you mean L7 it's too far away from the pitch to have a decent impact. I used to have a season ticket up there when it was the old singing corner. I loved it and the atmosphere up there was brilliant! However when you spoke to people in other parts of the ground they would all say they couldn't really hear us and there was over 3k of us in that section. Same applies with the current away section. If you are in the Gallowgate Upper for example you wouldn't really know there's any away fans in the ground for the most part.

Sorry mate i meant leazes corner nlt level 7. I think here would involve level 7, bounce of away fans etc. I currently sit here and think it could be fastest solution as more general sale tickets here.

IMG_2437.JPG.jpg

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

The song book is embarrassing it doesn’t even need new chants, just some of the old ones to come back. I don’t even think I heard our lot sing newcastle newcastle newcastle, never mind the Blaydon races on Sunday.

Oh when the mags

Blaydon races

We love you newcastle

N and an e

Whos that team

We are the geordies

Howay the lads

We hate nottingham forest

We are the geordies the cock of north

They call us newcastle united.

The fullwell end

If you proud to be a geordie clap ya hands

Any obrien

If you want to go to heaven when ya die (black and white bonnet) 

United united united

We are the geordies of nufc

Somebody stole my sombrero

Terry hibert

Ginola (lola)

Ex players/players andy cole etc.

These were all sang up in level 7 amongst others.. give me that any day of week...

Its simple what we need to do..get the lads together who want to stand amd educate youth..its possible.

Edited by NUFC91

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

I’m hoping the Bruno in the middle one fizzles out a bit. It seemed like the “Who’s that team we call United” made a massive comeback under Rafa. Then was overused to the point of it becoming annoying. 

That’s not quite as regular now. But still sung a lot. Hopefully some other chants from old start getting rolled out, like this one. 

Was quite funny. Was in a pub in Piccadilly on Saturday.

We we’re singing ‘SuperMac Superstar’  , Terry Hibbit, Alan Gowling with my dad and his mates.

Shearer’s son and his mates were in there and had absolutely no fucking idea what we were singing. They got it eventually as we consistently sang SuperMac until they knew the lyrics and joined in. Like you say, it’s all about learning. We’ve all been there!

14 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Oh when the mags

Blaydon races

We love you newcastle

N and an e

Whos that team

We are the geordies

Howay the lads

The fullwell end

Any obrien

United united united

Terry hibert

Ginola (lola)

These were all sang up in level 7 amongst others.. give me that any day of week...

Its simple what we need to do..get the lads together who want to stand amd educate youth..its possible.

Ah nostalgia, some belters there. I'd add How's ya father referee and the Mira one with it's various spin offs

19 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Oh when the mags

Blaydon races

We love you newcastle

N and an e

Whos that team

We are the geordies

Howay the lads

The fullwell end

Any obrien

United united united

Terry hibert

Ginola (lola)

don't forget the best one of the lot...

SHOES OFF IF YOU LOVE THE TOON