Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Just now, Superior Acuña said:

Man City a good demonstration today of that standing is not enough (while I do really want it). Large home safe standing section next to us and was hardly any singing. 

Early kick off tbf. Every single atmosphere for a 12:30 kick off is absolutely shite. It's a time slot that should be binned imo, no one likes it.

1 hour ago, Superior Acuña said:

Man City a good demonstration today of that standing is not enough (while I do really want it). Large home safe standing section next to us and was hardly any singing. 

Its a nothing game, like most games for them, that they expected to win. You just cant manufacture the conditions to prompt a good atmosphere which is what seems to be required these days.

The sport itself is even less suited to getting things going with its constant breaks and near enough no-contact nature. We've seen crowds get right into it on a good crunching tackle or two.

We'd still have dodgy refereeing to get us motivated but that's delegated and filtered now too.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I know this thread is aimed more at home games. But the fans sounded class on the TV today. 

Early kick offs are usually crap for atmosphere. But could hear our lot loud and clear all game and a bit more variety to songs compared to most games of late. 

16 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

I think theres again is small scale...i'd hope for 5k

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

You need the singers together tbf. How many people bought safe standing at Wembley and just stood there…? Pretty sure @LFEEmentioned something similar?

Been in safe standing at Spurs this season and Wembley final and both games singing wise were very poor around me.

Like Minded > Safe Standing

You would just hope increased Safe Standing = Like Minded in the long run.

57 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The day we have a drum at SJP will be the day when I know our support is finished. Couldn't think of anything worse.

DJ One Deck blasting a song through the PA system when we score would be DEFCON 1 for me.

A drum would be DEFCON 2. 

A good example of how lazy and fast our supporters sing songs is the reworked hello hello we are the Geordie boys. 

Obviously during the Ashley years as a nod to our decline the words were changed. However, to simply repeat where gonna win fuck all again, where gonna win fuck all at 1000 mph is dreadful.

A simple change to the 2nd line sing much slower sounds much better. ‘We’re gonna win fuck all again, but we don’t fucking care, we still follow United’.

One view at how Rangers sing we are the billy boys and folk would see what a great song this is. It used to be a staple in the promotion season under Keegan and sounded far better than the shite way it’s sung now.

46 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

DJ One Deck blasting a song through the PA system when we score would be DEFCON 1 for me.

A drum would be DEFCON 2. 

Hate getting old, I had to Google Defcon 

DEFCON (stylised as DEFCOИ and sometimes subtitled Everybody Dies in the North American version and Global Thermonuclear War in the European version) is a real-time strategy game created by independent British game developer Introversion Software. The gameplay is a simulation of a global nuclear war, with the game's screen reminiscent of the "big boards" that visually represented thermonuclear war in films such as Dr. Strangelove, Fail-Safe, and especially WarGames.

I do sometimes wonder if one of the reasons why our songs have speeded up is partly due to the horrible modern-day prevalence of cocaine being used by away fans. Mix the marching powder with the already-millons miles per hour Geordie accent and that's a potent combination for singing too fast. Could be something, could be nowt.