Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

I’m a member that was lucky enough to get a ballot for the PSG game, sitting in the Leazes corner. I have always been a singer/stander at the match and when I had my ST in the Gallowgate during the noughties loads of ST holders sat on their fucking hands. Back then I remember a lass knitting and another woman in front of me that chain smoked through every match. As far as I can tell the atmosphere is up and down and has been since then. I think one of the main thing that drives the noise is the psychology of the match beforehand. PSG was a game we didn’t expect to win, but everyone was ready to support. Last night sounded like the sort of PL game where the expectation is that we would win (vs a wolves or forest or something). So I don’t think it’s just the members issue because some of us who go will make lots of noise. I think if the expectation is that we should win, the crowd waits for the team, and responds to that. When the expectation is that we will be up against it, it tends to be louder. We also have an absolutely shite songbook.

29 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Bottom line is that when people can't choose to sit/stand where they want it's always going to have a detrimental effect on the atmosphere. The random ballot has just made this a far bigger problem.

Believe it or not, the moaners has always had an acceptable place in the ground. Back in the 80s when I first started going I remember if you wanted to stand and have a good whinge at everyone the Gallowgate M section, aka "old mans corner" was the place for you. No doubt there was seating areas for them.as well. If you went on like that in the other corner or the scoreboard you'd likely be booted all over!

The Leazes F Centre section was where you'd find our more studenty type of fans. They would stand over there, pushed up to the fence near the away fans and bait them for 90 mins. In the case of a big away following they'd be shifted to one of the corner Paddocks in the Leazes.

When the Milburn Stand was built, the crackerjack with a bit more money in their pockets would congregate in the Leazes section of the new stand and would make a hell of a racket. Basically there was a place for everyone and you could as good as guarantee that you would be stood/sat with likeminded people.

Season ticket culture mid 90s onwards party ruined that but the last few couple of seasons I felt we were getting back to the old times as much as is possible in this day and age. With best part of 50k seats up for grabs and around 32k season ticket holders there was the option to get yourself a decent spot around the people you have more in common with. Gallowgate Upper was my go to area and it was good the see the NE Corner in the Leazes become so vocal as well as the obvious Strawberry Corner.

We've completely lost all that again. You pick your category and if you are lucky enough to get your name picked out the hat you get a random seat somewhere.

It's not conducive to a good atmosphere unfortunately.

I remember that pre-bond/Platinum Club.  That one block of The Milburn nearest the new Leazes Stand used to be absolutely bouncing.

Edited by Sima

22 minutes ago, Sima said:

I remember that pre-bond/Platinum Club.  That one block of The Milburn nearest the new Leazes Stand used to be absolutely bouncing.

I was in there from 92 onwards, one seat away from the away fans at that time. It was brilliant up there but I got moved into the paddock below despite having a bond. 

33 minutes ago, Sima said:

Late 80s/1990 I was going in the Scoreboard with my school mates before getting a season ticket with my dad in 1991, but even as a 10/11/12 year old I always wanted to be in that part of the Milburn Stand. As a compromise we started going in the Milburn E Paddock directly underneath it so we could join in with the songs without having the extortionate costs (to us) of going in the seats.

Saved up my pocket money and managed to get in there for a couple of FA Cup games v Port Vale and Rotherham and it was everything I hoped it would be, and more. Was a shame when they all got booted out to make way for the Platinum Club/bond scheme.

The pricing must have something to do with not being able to pick a seat through the ballot. When it’s the same price to sit in the East Stand or the back of Level 7 it doesn’t make much sense. You’d think now things are less rushed they could do the ballots earlier and give people time to pick their seat. They don’t seem to have thought through any of it though.

Assuming UEFA mandate that no music can be played at half time or at times before the match? Was deathly silent during those periods last night.

Sick of hearing the same Status Quo/Madness/The Beatles cycle before every home game mind from the DJ

Even with the Platinum Club 93/94 was predominantly rocking, maybe even more than 92/93, due to the Leazes changes.

Just think football changed in this country. The sweet spot was the mid 90s before it was too sanitised and with the hooligan elements disappearing.

Its sad but it must be 25years since I accepted this so cant get vexed now.  Every atmosphere in the country is worse than it was and rarely good (excluding idiots on drums and stuff at Palace or Accrington which isn't really atmosphere)

We reap the rewards of that sanitisation and bigger crowds when its comes to having more money than other leagues, even without the various takeovers, atmosphere is the sacrifice.

58 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Assuming UEFA mandate that no music can be played at half time or at times before the match? Was deathly silent during those periods last night.

Sick of hearing the same Status Quo/Madness/The Beatles cycle before every home game mind from the DJ

Noticed they had the highlights of the other games on the screen at the side of The Leazes.  They could at least have put some commentary on to have a bit of audio.

Sidenote - I'd have thought that screen would have been updated by now.  Was like watching a moving stamp from The Milburn

Yeah they were showing other games on the screen for the PSG game too.

Thought it was odd that there was a smattering of about 200 or so Dortmund fans in the Milburn Stand. Good job it wasn't a feisty game otherwise it might have caused some bother.

I'd be a bit miffed if those 200 or so were at the expense of Newcastle fans who couldn't get a ticket

37 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Even with the Platinum Club 93/94 was predominantly rocking, maybe even more than 92/93, due to the Leazes changes.

Just think football changed in this country. The sweet spot was the mid 90s before it was too sanitised and with the hooligan elements disappearing.

Its sad but it must be 25years since I accepted this so cant get vexed now.  Every atmosphere in the country is worse than it was and rarely good (excluding idiots on drums and stuff at Palace or Accrington which isn't really atmosphere)

We reap the rewards of that sanitisation and bigger crowds when its comes to having more money than other leagues, even without the various takeovers, atmosphere is the sacrifice.

Yeah people can come up with all sorts of possible solutions but none of them will rid the ground of young kids (many wearing headphones for sensory reasons etc) and the ever growing groups of female attendees or whittle out the OAPs or the mobile phone generation playing games etc or the food & drink families or young couples. Rightly so as we try and be a more inclusive and progressive sport. However it’s always going to come at a cost to the atmosphere more often than not. The crowd makeup must be 60% if not more of those I’ve mentioned. The easy passive buy in also during the Ashley years is coming back to bite also. The great atmospheres will always be the exception not the norm going forward. 

Maybe a new stadium or reallocation of seats with detailed consultation on the type of fan you are so bigger vocal sections can be created is the last throw of the dice and hope their support is infectious to the rest of the ground but likely not.

And I appreciate I’ve made some simplistic generalisations in the groups but by and large it is the issue and it’s not solely affecting football. Gigs these days are a far cry from what they used to be due to those that go and where they position themselves with their entitled behaviour or obsession with mobile technology and not living the moment.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Yeah they were showing other games on the screen for the PSG game too.

Thought it was odd that there was a smattering of about 200 or so Dortmund fans in the Milburn Stand. Good job it wasn't a feisty game otherwise it might have caused some bother.

I'd be a bit miffed if those 200 or so were at the expense of Newcastle fans who couldn't get a ticket

There's more than 200 of ours in the home end at their place to be fair. Was there any music pre psg? Impossible to tell cos the fans were going full tilt for 45 mins anyway

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

It sounds tedious dosent it, Hey Jude has been done to death and it’s sung by many others clubs aswell. Mix it up sometimes ffs. I’ve said countless times - the volume needs to be turned down massively both pre match and full time anyway. I can’t think of any other club that I watch on tv who’s PA system comes across as being played anywhere near as loud as ours is. 

Another point regarding the atmosphere is that the new owners didn’t do enough/anything to engage the fans who gave up their season ticket to boycott Ashley. These are typically the more militant, noisy fans. 

Not that the atmosphere was always brilliant before, I remember complaints even when we doing well under Sir Bobby. 

24 minutes ago, Vedder said:

Another point regarding the atmosphere is that the new owners didn’t do enough/anything to engage the fans who gave up their season ticket to boycott Ashley. These are typically the more militant, noisy fans. 

Not that the atmosphere was always brilliant before, I remember complaints even when we doing well under Sir Bobby. 

If anything, they’ve actively made it harder for them to get back in.

Not just in here folk aren’t enjoying the match experience. The club need to make the Gallowgate all standing and clearly badge it as a singing enclosure.

Didn’t enjoy anything about the atmosphere last night, apart from a couple of Geordies renditions the whole ground just doesn’t get going anymore, the Blaydon Races used to always carry right around the ground.

Really loving this team but a big part of going to the match is the atmosphere for me, can’t say I’m in any rush to go back following last night.

https://x.com/paarsons/status/1717483130477494324?s=20

8 hours ago, Wandy said:

Yep. Ridiculous isn't it?.

The Gallowgate is still the "Kop" end but it's nowhere near as good as it was in the 90s.

Wasn't the 90s season ticket only? No public sale, no ballots. Maybe last year they should have just filled up with 48k season ticket holders and tough shit to anyone else. No public sale, no ballots, anything.

28 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Wasn't the 90s season ticket only? No public sale, no ballots. Maybe last year they should have just filled up with 48k season ticket holders and tough shit to anyone else. No public sale, no ballots, anything.

Aye pretty sure it was for a period before the expansion 

50 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Yeah it was. It was largely full of fans who had been supporting the club through the grim times of the 80s and early 90s though. So basically an entirely different kind of fan. That's not necessarily a criticism, more an observation.

In hindsight, it's absolutely true that SJP should never have been made all ST in the 90s.

1 hour ago, NSG said:

If anything, they’ve actively made it harder for them to get back in.

And the organisation who said they’d campaign for loyalty points turned their back on them - the very people they’re supposed to represent :(

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Not just in here folk aren’t enjoying the match experience. The club need to make the Gallowgate all standing and clearly badge it as a singing enclosure.

Didn’t enjoy anything about the atmosphere last night, apart from a couple of Geordies renditions the whole ground just doesn’t get going anymore, the Blaydon Races used to always carry right around the ground.

Really loving this team but a big part of going to the match is the atmosphere for me, can’t say I’m in any rush to go back following last night.

https://x.com/paarsons/status/1717483130477494324?s=20

Was there any indication how many applied to move into the standing bit over the summer?