Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

One thing that makes me think there has been a change even post-expansion is the reaction to shitness in the Souness-Roeder era to the Pardew-McClaren era - i.e. during the Ashley era.

I remember when we lost a game we shouldn't have in that earlier era SJP was a fucking horrible place to be. It was so toxic. People were raging. Sheffield United under Roeder for example. I felt uncomfortable just being there. That tendency wasn't always good but it was at least borne out of a passion. That seemed to disappear over the years. I remember being at the Liverpool 0-6, and 0-1 with the mackems (3rd home defeat to them in a row) in particular and couldn't believe the comparative passiveness from the crowd at proper horrendous results, and not in isolation. Now I don't want people raging at our players now, but that seemed to tell me something had been lost in our crowd in terms of passion under Ashley, and maybe that doesn't come back so easily even as things turn around. Or maybe I'm talking shite and that's irrelevant to our situation now.

2 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

Was 5200 applied according to box office. Me and 3 or 4 others applird but didnt get any. Should off the others who applied standing im leazes

That says it all about the demography of ST holders tbh. 

Say there’s 35,000 ST holders. 

5,200 + 1800 in the corner = 7000.

Only 20% bothered about standing (and no doubt singing majority of the game). 

8 hours ago, Wandy said:

Yeah it was. It was largely full of fans who had been supporting the club through the grim times of the 80s and early 90s though. So basically an entirely different kind of fan. That's not necessarily a criticism, more an observation.

In hindsight, it's absolutely true that SJP should never have been made all ST in the 90s.

10-15k fans came from somewhere between 1991 and 1992-2000. 

6 hours ago, TheGuv said:

That says it all about the demography of ST holders tbh. 

Say there’s 35,000 ST holders. 

5,200 + 1800 in the corner = 7000.

Only 20% bothered about standing (and no doubt singing majority of the game). 

If we could get that 7k together though it would create a great atmosphere.

Plenty in level 7,NE corner and Leazes trying to give it a go on Wednesday, but folk are just dispersed and sitting on their own etc.

Seeing people sitting down in the L7 standing area last Saturday was wild.

You must have a metal bar right in your eyeline but god forbid you stand to remedy it. Make that whole corner safe standing imo.

23 minutes ago, Sima said:

Seeing people sitting down in the L7 standing area last Saturday was wild.

You must have a metal bar right in your eyeline but god forbid you stand to remedy it. Make that whole corner safe standing imo.

It'd be interesting to ask these folk why they're sitting down. Is it really that difficult and uncomfortable for the vast majority of people to stand up for 2 x 45 mins

All seater stadiums have led to a culture of spectating, rather than supporting

Although plenty of other clubs have large swathes of their ground where people stand, at NUFC we seem to be obsessed with sitting down. Both from the club enforcing it and people in the ground taking vigilante action towards standers

Where is the standing area in L7?  I take my 7 year old with me to the match and if there was people standing in front of him for 90 mins he'd see nothing of the game.  By the way we opt for tickets in the family section for this very reason so we're out of the way.

I'm 100% for improving the atmosphere in the ground and agree putting like minded people together probably would help with this.  But standing in sections of the ground that aren't designated for it, especially the family area, in the hope that people being on their feet are going to make them sing more doesn't seem right.

6 minutes ago, Reggae Magpie said:

Where is the standing area in L7?  I take my 7 year old with me to the match and if there was people standing in front of him for 90 mins he'd see nothing of the game.  By the way we opt for tickets in the family section for this very reason so we're out of the way.

I'm 100% for improving the atmosphere in the ground and agree putting like minded people together probably would help with this.  But standing in sections of the ground that aren't designated for it, especially the family area, in the hope that people being on their feet are going to make them sing more doesn't seem right.

They were unsold blocks returned by Crystal Palace.

One of two things have happened:

If the club have bunged these unsold blocks in with the rest of the randomly allocated ballot it's absolutely idiotic.

If people with kids have willingly bought tickets in a safe standing area running the risk that their kid can't see any of the game due to standing in front of them it's absolutely idiotic.

Edited by Sima

14 minutes ago, Reggae Magpie said:

L7 standing is part of the away end, but it gets opened up to home tickets if the away allocation is reduced.

Fair enough not standing in the family area, given there'll be loads of youngins in there. I don't think anyone is suggesting that'd be acceptable.

Likewise, taking a kid into Gallowgate or L7 standing and expecting adults in front of the kid to sit down isn't acceptable. Although the auto-allocated seats means that decision was probably out of your hands

And I don't think it's a hope that standing improves the atmosphere, it's pretty much nailed on that it will. If I contrast the front of the Gallowgate which had been unofficial standing for ages, it was always loud and supportive. After they had the letters recently telling them to sit down or be banned, you could hear a pin drop 

Edited by bobbydazzla

30 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

L7 standing is part of the away end, but it gets opened up to home tickets if the away allocation is reduced.

Fair enough not standing in the family area, given there'll be loads of youngins in there. I don't think anyone is suggesting that'd be acceptable.

Likewise, taking a kid into Gallowgate or L7 standing and expecting adults in front of the kid to sit down isn't acceptable. Although the auto-allocated seats means that decision was probably out of your hands

And I don't think it's a hope that standing improves the atmosphere, it's pretty much nailed on that it will. If I contrast the front of the Gallowgate which had been unofficial standing for ages, it was always loud and supportive. After they had the letters recently telling them to sit down or be banned, you could hear a pin drop 

I didn't know that about the away end allocation, so are they potentially included in the L7 family pot during a ballot if the away team doesn't fill their seats?

This does highlight another flaw in the auto-allocation of tickets.  Like you say I wouldn't knowingly buy a ticket in the safe standing section or any other area of the ground where people would want to stand for that reason.

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think most people want to sing, they just don't want to be the one to start it. 

This is it. I love singing at the match. In an away end I'll sing as loud as I can. Like fuck am i going to be the only one singing in level 7 though. I think most people are like that. 

Safe standing in all four corners would be class. Or at least two singing sections. Its hard to sing when you're sat down too really. 

Unfortunately, with the demand for tickets being so high and those at the club who's remit is solely to improve things commercially, Im not sure things will change. If those running the club had sense though, they'd understand that a good atmosphere and a bouncing SJP makes the club more attractive, actually improves the image of the club and helps us win more games. The way the club are approaching things is short sighted tbh. 

22 minutes ago, Reggae Magpie said:

I didn't know that about the away end allocation, so are they potentially included in the L7 family pot during a ballot if the away team doesn't fill their seats?

This does highlight another flaw in the auto-allocation of tickets.  Like you say I wouldn't knowingly buy a ticket in the safe standing section or any other area of the ground where people would want to stand for that reason.

Like most things in relation to the new ticketing policy, it's not very clear

I assume when L7 standing is converted to home tickets it's part of Cat 2 rather than Family

I know for sure there's a small block of Cat 2 L7 seats between away fans and family section, as I've been auto-allocated seats there twice now and sold them on both times

Edited by bobbydazzla

18 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

This is it. I love singing at the match. In an away end I'll sing as loud as I can. Like fuck am i going to be the only one singing in level 7 though. I think most people are like that. 

Safe standing in all four corners would be class. Or at least two singing sections. Its hard to sing when you're sat down too really. 

Unfortunately, with the demand for tickets being so high and those at the club who's remit is solely to improve things commercially, Im not sure things will change. If those running the club had sense though, they'd understand that a good atmosphere and a bouncing SJP makes the club more attractive, actually improves the image of the club and helps us win more games. The way the club are approaching things is short sighted tbh. 

Good post.

Just frustrating that the Club’s ticketing team. Chain of:

Dan Ginger

Yvette Thompson 

Steven Tickell

Clearly don’t have a clue on what football ticketing, atmosphere, value of match day experience actually equals. 

If they get it right however…the Club and customers (fans…but I feel like a customer atm) will be happy.

Our little section (front six rows) always stand and most sing just behind the Gallowgate goal towards the corner side and we have done for a while but as I expected this season with the stewards not being bothered with people standing in the corner, they've told us to sit down last three matches which no one has done so I've a feeling we'll be getting a letter soon!

14 minutes ago, Paully said:

Our little section (front six rows) always stand and most sing just behind the Gallowgate goal towards the corner side and we have done for a while but as I expected this season with the stewards not being bothered with people standing in the corner, they've told us to sit down last three matches which no one has done so I've a feeling we'll be getting a letter soon!

You're just along from where I was most games last season, the letter has totally killed what was a great atmosphere in those blocks

As you usually wear such eye catching tops I often spot you in your seat. We were both on a bus to Villa years ago and you were the ringleader of some wild drinking, doubt you'll remember me though [emoji38]

Edited by bobbydazzla

15 minutes ago, Paully said:

Luckily you are hard to spot then

39 minutes ago, Reggae Magpie said:

I don’t think these are sold in the ballot (Phase 1). They are sold phase 2 at resell stage when away club has returned their unsold tickets and you can choose your seat I believe. I’m not 100% sure.

On a different topic and not solely aimed at yourself but it’s interesting you feel like your son is entitled to a view of the game. When I went for the first game (2 days shy of 40 years ago) also with my dad it was hard to see that much of the game. Even as I progressed to different parts of the ground over the years it was always a struggle to see the action. Some games after an attack or a goal I’d be totally separated from my dad and would take several minutes before being reunited with him.

This to me is where the two worlds collide. On one side there are people wanting to watch the match safely whilst others complain about the atmosphere disappearing and hankering for sort of Boca Juniors match going experience. Hopefully over time a happy medium can be found once things like demand and capacity of future expansion/ground become clearer.

We’ve just got to remember Rome wasn’t built in a day…

2 hours ago, Reggae Magpie said:

Agree for the family area, but otherwise this is already the case at away games (everyone standing in seats). I was going to away games at his age (late 90s) and I stood on my chair and absolutely loved the atmosphere it created, would've hated people sitting. Still didn't have the best view, I'd sometimes get picked up for penalties and that, didn't really impact my enjoyment. Not every kid is going to like it, and there should be room for both in a home game, of course people who can't stand too. But just saying it's a trade off and kids can also benefit from the improved atmosphere too.

Edited by Superior Acuña

5 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

10-15k fans came from somewhere between 1991 and 1992-2000. 

Those 15k were basically the fair-weather element of our existing fanbase at the time. We might have averaged well below capacity in those pre-1992/93 seasons but there would still be the odd game where we'd get a big gate approaching capacity, ie the TW derbies and games against one of the bigger clubs. In 1992 we didn't just attract all-new supporters as we seem to be doing now. The extra fans back then were just those who were less dedicated but would still class themselves as NUFC supporters. As the club kept rising though under KK we undoubtedly gained "new" fans. I know of at least a few school mates who "supported" clubs like Spurs & Man Utd in the 80s and yet in the mid 90s I saw some of them at NUFC games. As you would expect, I gave them the maximum amount of grief possible. :lol:

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The current songbook is shite (I am a middle-aged man now though, so that may factor in).  I cringe at the 'Bruno in the middle' song - something that I don't generally do at even the daftest of football songs, but I actively hate that song.  But even the traditional songs are sung badly - Blaydon Races (which may as well be remained 'GanalongthuScotswooRoadtuseethuBlaydonRaces', given that it is now spat out as a single word in about one second) in particular feels like a crime against local culture.  It's a folk song, not a New Monkey / Colosseum choon, lads.

Agree. Pretty much all of our songs are dreadful now. The fact that old classics are not heard anymore and people can't even sing the Blaydon Races properly is a clear indication that our fanbase at games has drastically changed.

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The current songbook is shite (I am a middle-aged man now though, so that may factor in).  I cringe at the 'Bruno in the middle' song - something that I don't generally do at even the daftest of football songs, but I actively hate that song.  But even the traditional songs are sung badly - Blaydon Races (which may as well be remained 'GanalongthuScotswooRoadtuseethuBlaydonRaces', given that it is now spat out as a single word in about one second) in particular feels like a crime against local culture.  It's a folk song, not a New Monkey / Colosseum choon, lads.

I'm almost 23 and been banging this drum for a couple years now. Since promotion in 2017 it's massively deteriorated.