Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

I was pissed, squeezed between two fat blokes to the point I couldn't raise my arms and unable to see more than a bald head in front of me for the first half, so my contribution to the atmosphere was minimal, apologies. 

58 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Can’t comment on the scarf nonces but regarding the drink. Last time I was in Germany drinking, I obviously thought I could drink loads of Steins and smoke and be fine. Ended up hurling in the bogs and almost face planting a urinal. I think a lot of people misjudge drinking on the continent/on holiday. Remember my mate living in Brussels when Scotland came to play saying it was a really poor atmosphere from Scotland, but also noting how many were in an absolute state around the city. So drinking doesn’t necessarily = loud. You wanna feel zesty not fuckfaced.

Yeah, I agree.  As a (much) younger man I misjudged the strength of Belgian beer away to Lokeren in the InterToto.  I was eye-spinning drunk instead of giddy-singy-happy drunk.  It ruined it for me.

I’m a teetotaller these days, so none of it appeals :) 

8 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

I was pissed, squeezed between two fat blokes to the point I couldn't raise my arms and unable to see more than a bald head in front of me for the first half, so my contribution to the atmosphere was minimal, apologies. 

You watched it on tv in the bedroom ?

On the overcrowding, i know of two lads that blagged their way in without even buying tickets never mind the wrong section. Must have known about 100 that travelled, barely 50% of them would have got a ticket through the correct channels so must be loads sold on. Also one mate sent a photo of him and his daughter in half and half scarfs :icon_puke_l:

Just reading the comments on NUSC twitter and seems like there was real chaos in the terraced away end. Some of our younger folk getting a taster of football in the 1980s. Except without the great atmosphere in this instance.

Reading about fans who've hardly been to matches getting tickets for this match and the club organising it badly, the usual faces not being there, full of daytrippers etc

How is this happening?

How is the ticket allocation handled for your games in Europe? Ours is a fucking impossibility if you haven't been at almost every match since the year dot.

Although I guess you've been playing in grounds with larger allocations.

Here's ours by comparison, this was for Legia Warsaw:

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 10.53.31.png

We were on the far left hand side and could see people congregating down the front around the stewarts. The stew's did fuck all by the looks of it and looked to us like some people were effectively standing in no mans land behind several others. View of the game must have been terrible.

9 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Just reading the comments on NUSC twitter and seems like there was real chaos in the terraced away end. Some of our younger folk getting a taster of football in the 1980s. Except without the great atmosphere in this instance.

It was very uncomfortable, we were in 60 and it was jam packed. 
If we’d have scored it would have been chaotic, one chance early on and it all surged forward, that was bad enough. 

Saw people pissing in glasses, one lad pissed down some poor blokes leg….he got moved and just started pissing everywhere. 

If that’s safe standing, keep it for me. 

5 minutes ago, PCW1983 said:

It was very uncomfortable, we were in 60 and it was jam packed. 
If we’d have scored it would have been chaotic, one chance early on and it all surged forward, that was bad enough. 

Saw people pissing in glasses, one lad pissed down some poor blokes leg….he got moved and just started pissing everywhere. 

If that’s safe standing, keep it for me. 

Dortmund don't have safe standing like the UK though, do they? It's literally just traditional terracing. 

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Dortmund don't have safe standing like the UK though, do they? It's literally just traditional terracing. 

Yeah, it’s traditional. Looking up to the left at the Dortmund fans it looked like safe standing. 

I just meant if we’re to have standing it need much tighter controls around it….and some sensible people. 

12 minutes ago, brummie said:

Reading about fans who've hardly been to matches getting tickets for this match and the club organising it badly, the usual faces not being there, full of daytrippers etc

How is this happening?

How is the ticket allocation handled for your games in Europe? Ours is a fucking impossibility if you haven't been at almost every match since the year dot.

Although I guess you've been playing in grounds with larger allocations.

It's happening mainly because the ticketing has been handled shambolically this season. A system has been created whereby people who were nowhere to be seen two years ago are now getting tickets ahead of those who have been going for years through all of the hard times.

I have some sympathy for the hierarchy at the moment. The club has become an absolute monster again, like the 90s on speed, and it must be bewildering for them trying to keep up with the progress. But this cannot continue, & by the start of next season this has to be sorted. A proper loyalty system need to be in place for away matches so that dedicated away fans get priority over johnny-come-latelys who go for a day on the piss. And the ballot for home games needs binning off, with the queue brought back together with freedom of seat selection. 

We flew to Weeze, all trains cancelled after the 8:45 in the morning, we had to get a taxi to Dortmund after waiting nearly 2 hours for non existent trains to turn up and no announcements, €300 between 5 of us.

Another mates train broke down in Arnhem, the Newcastle supporters (and there were 100 or so) were eventually given a bus replacement service, that took them to Düsseldorf. He got to Dortmund after I’d left to go to the match.

We were in Section 60, it was a bit chaotic, the terracing wasn’t great. The atmosphere was ok, too many pissed up fans. Got to say the Yellow Wall came across as a bit manufactured which was a bit disappointing.

IMG_7639.thumb.jpeg.16353534a53a5d8d0e1906d10d83a955.jpeg

The common theme appears to be large numbers of our fans really drunk to the point that they weren’t able to focus on the match. Don’t get it personally but I’m not a big drinker. I know it’s a big occasion and easy to get carried away but surely just a few would be optimum

2 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

This version we've got of Man City's 'Old Trafford is falling down', why sing "Ritchie's here for ten more years"? Odd

Surely you misheard that? :lol: It’s “Glazers staying 10 more years”….

Just now, Wandy said:

Surely you misheard that? :lol: It’s “Glazers staying 10 more years”….

I think there was a video going around with some lads singing a version with Ritchie in it mind.

1 minute ago, NE27 said:

I think there was a video going around with some lads singing a version with Ritchie in it mind.

Jesus, we have some doylems in our ranks mind. It’s not difficult to work out what the proper words are.