Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

That was our ‘bald men fighting over a comb’ moment with the mackems. They did Trafalgar, so we had to do it. Pathetic and everyone was so far on their hangovers or comedowns on Sunday that they didn’t show up when it mattered.

Also the many Victor Meldrew and Dads Army aged fans doesn’t help. Logan’s Run the old cunts.

I was in Trafalgar Square along with 1000s of others the night before the Finals in 98 and 99 so you're talkng absolute shite there like.

55 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I was in Trafalgar Square along with 1000s of others the night before the Finals in 98 and 99 so you're talkng absolute shite there like.

And someone was there before us, probably the mackems in 92. Common factor in 98, 99 and 23 and the mackems in 92 and 16? We all won fuck all and had to take away the Trafalgar Square Top Fans Less than Glorious Failure We’ll Support You Evermore trophy to make ourselves feel better about another empty handed trip.

After the Chelsea semi final we played West Ham a few nights later and was half full. Our away support has always been good but it’s not as glorious as it’s made out to be when we’re slagging current away ends.

It's all down to season ticket holders fancying a day out these days hence why it's alot worse.

The first season in the championship 09/10 was different all together to now. Away ends full of drunk blokes getting behind side. Even the following year we went to Forest in first round of league cup and won 4-3 and away end was class.

It's clear to see that big percentage of loyal and loud fans didn't have season tickets or bought off other tickets.

19 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Even when we were shite the atmosphere was nearly always good away from home. I've been in umpteen away ends over the years where we've been 4 or 5 goals down and still outsung the home fans comfortably.

There was talk a while back that around 1 in 3 of our regular away travellers went on someone else's ticket, usually sourced through supporters buses. Certainly my experience of aways I would say that's a fairly accurate figure., even maybe a bit Conservative. If that's the case that's 1,000 fans out of the typical 3,000 away end who can no longer go. These were generally lads in their late teens, 20s and 30s. The demographic that typically make the most noise.

They've been replaced in the away ends by season ticket holders, mostly whom weren't all that arsed about away games previously, but the main problem is that these season ticket holders who typically sit there in silence at home games are now going away and going the same in away ends.

Change in type of fans is increible tbf. Remember when we got hammered off Spurs in the league cup 4-0 in 2014 the away end was bouncing. After the game we had a drink with some Spurs lads in Paddington and they said our away support was unbelievable. Again everyone was right behind the lads.

Nowadays got wankers like tyneside life Adam Pearson and John Sinclair. More intrested in videoing than singing. Or fans who just want the instagram selfie.

1 hour ago, NUFC91 said:

Forest in first round of league cup and won 4-3

53 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Spurs in the league cup 4-0 in 2014 the away end was bouncing

I was at both of these, Forest was proper fun and Spurs was amazing support like you say.  Can remember us singing "Mags Go Marching In" for AGES, we were very loud all game despite the dismal showing on the pitch.

Re the social media point, I keep seeing this mentioned but can't help thinking it's overstated?  Sure, anyone who is doing that isn't supporting the team very well but isn't it just a handful of people out of thousands?

The fear of losing your loyalty points if you pass tickets on to your mates has killed away ends for me which I said it would when it was announced at the time. 

You can argue that the new policy is fairer for people getting tickets but it 100% has had a huge effect on the atmosphere in away ends.

Mind, no excuse at all if it is absolutely not non-stop on Saturday!

Personally I do think the ticketing changes are the main thing at fault here but not sure how they put the genie back in the bottle with that now.  EDIT - basically as Paully says above.

My mate used to always get me tickets for aways, he wasn't a season ticket holder so he'd hunt through friends of friends, Facebook pages etc to get tickets for most away games (he went to a lot more than me).  I used to joke that he started singing the moment he woke up on a matchday cos that's what he was like - signing on the train, in the pubs, in the stands constantly.  It was all part of a boozy day out and I'm sure there are many like him who can't go now, probably replaced by older and less lively season ticket holders.  There needs to be capacity for a younger and more boisterous element in the away support, not just for atmosphere but also for the future.

Edited by Interpolic

24 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Personally I do think the ticketing changes are the main thing at fault here but not sure how they put the genie back in the bottle with that now.  EDIT - basically as Paully says above.

My mate used to always get me tickets for aways, he wasn't a season ticket holder so he'd hunt through friends of friends, Facebook pages etc to get tickets for most away games (he went to a lot more than me).  I used to joke that he started singing the moment he woke up on a matchday cos that's what he was like - signing on the train, in the pubs, in the stands constantly.  It was all part of a boozy day out and I'm sure there are many like him who can't go now, probably replaced by older and less lively season ticket holders.  There needs to be capacity for a younger and more boisterous element in the away support, not just for atmosphere but also for the future.

You allow people to transfer an away like  they do with a home ticket. But limit it to a handful of times per season with no loyalty point awarded.

Would stop people buying to sell just for the point, but at the same time would (hopefully) allow those that have gone away consistently on other people’s tickets to go, as they will have most likely built up a network of contacts and should be able to find someone to get them a ticket most games.

34 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

I think this is pretty much spot on

2 hours ago, Nucasol said:

And someone was there before us, probably the mackems in 92. Common factor in 98, 99 and 23 and the mackems in 92 and 16? We all won fuck all and had to take away the Trafalgar Square Top Fans Less than Glorious Failure We’ll Support You Evermore trophy to make ourselves feel better about another empty handed trip.

That wasn't your point though. You said people went to Trafalgar Square because the mackems did which is completely incorrect. It's been something that's been happening for decades. In fact there's photos doing the rounds of NUFC fans at Trafalgar Square for the 1970s Cup Finals.

54 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

That wasn't your point though. You said people went to Trafalgar Square because the mackems did which is completely incorrect. It's been something that's been happening for decades. In fact there's photos doing the rounds of NUFC fans at Trafalgar Square for the 1970s Cup Finals.

Not to forget when we were there in 1955!

image.thumb.png.da72750f9e3c7e30c3fd407d98016249.png

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

So it's been a tradition that's been going on for 70 years yet apparently we only did it cos the mackems did it 2 years ago :lol:

Cracking photo BTW.

Even Boro used to take over Trafalgar, seems like a few have been hoodwinked by the mackems going on like it was something never done before. Only difference is social media was around when they got back to Wembley.

Edited by Whitley mag

10 hours ago, jack j said:

These the new toon ultras....?

But with a drum.

Fair play least they trying. No doubt the boring pricks with habds glued to seats will call them arseholes

30 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Was okay. Not as bad as they're making out. Not as good as you'd hope 

I think this is fair.

Thought their home support was fucking woeful like. Mind you when you barely have the ball and hardly muster a shot, it’s almost inevitable.

I Was upper tier. The celebrations for that first goal were unreal. Didn't seem to be many singing at times but fuck it I was and I loved every second of giving them cunts if

Was back outside SJP for 16.15 ad well quicker than I've ever got home off the metro

Looked like an OAP day out in the away end, think that’s the trouble these East Stand pensioners now have the means to do aways with the pensions triple lock.

The away support has lost a lot of young blood with this ID check carry on.

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Looked like an OAP day out in the away end, think that’s the trouble these East Stand pensioners now have the means to do aways with the pensions triple lock.

The away support has lost a lot of young blood with this ID check carry on.

It really wasn’t. Loads of young lads there.

Away end wasn’t bad. Not a classic show of support but nothing to be critical over really. Quietest concourse I’ve experienced this season mind. Home support apart from a few roars for some big tackles was very subdued.

Understand the reasons but 12:30 UK is not conducive to a good footballing atmosphere.

Edited by LFEE