Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

44 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Posted in the General NUFC thread, I'm at the ballot workshop thing on Tuesday. I'll report back the craic. If anyone wants me to bring up or ask specific stuff please lmk or get in touch.

You’ll get an essay from me 😂

First home game I’ve been to this season, live in London now and haven’t been successful in the ballot until this game. I thought you lot were exaggerating how shit the atmosphere is nowadays, but after today I see where you’re coming from. Full respect to the strawberry corner for their continuous efforts, but I was sitting in level 2 milburn and it was a library. No one making an effort, even when I tried on numerous occasions it was like I was surrounded by zombies. Some of the Leazes was good tbf too..

15 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Yep. Ended up having loads of abuse so ended up sitting down, as I couldn’t be arsed. 

I was in an overwhelming minority.

Another blunder of the ballot btw. I was really excited to be in safe standing today btw. Turns out plenty of fans don’t agree. They were sat down for the penalty ffs.

I'm in the corner and I was looking up today baffled like. I guess the *only* excuse is that they didn't get told it was standing when they bought it.

Fairplay to you like for being sensible. I'm probably the softest bloke in the whole ground and think I would have ended up getting a ban for refusing if forced to sit down in a safe standing section 

Edited by TheDimpleboy

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

Yep. Ended up having loads of abuse so ended up sitting down, as I couldn’t be arsed. 

Another blunder of the ballot btw. I was really excited to be in safe standing today btw. Turns out plenty of fans don’t agree. They were sat down for the penalty ffs.

Fucking stupid ballot system. If you let people pick where they sit you wouldnt get familys sat in there.

Edited by NUFC91

Its so obvious we need a standing corner in the leazes... i fucking hope the trusts are pushing hard.

Football in England is shite these days. What has it become man.

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

reminds of the carabao cup final.

"sit doon, man!"

16 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Its so obvious we need a standing corner in the leazes... i fucking hope the trusts are pushing hard.

Football in England is shite these days. What has it become man.

A money laundering operation masquerading as a sport?

Don’t think you can blame the ballot for this. The safe standing section is usually returns from the away allocation I think so goes to the resale.

I got one in there for a pal today and he said the same - standing frowned upon ffs. 

Only thing I’d say is that nowhere on his ticket did it say “safe standing”, not that it should matter.

Have, in my opinion, led to the 85th minute exodus. 

From my perch in block S of the Gallowgate Upper I note that on 85 minutes an absolute exodus pass me on the stairwell. Yesterday, everything to play for, and out they go. 10 mins of injury time, an equaliser and the Toon chasing the game. EVERYTHING TO STAY FOR. 

When we played Arsenal - 85 minutes and an absolute exodus. Exciting game. Why? 

Need to stop these ballots and get back to the old system. At least get folk in their who'll want to be there and not holidaymakers. 

10 minutes ago, BUJ said:

Have, in my opinion, led to the 85th minute exodus. 

From my perch in block S of the Gallowgate Upper I note that on 85 minutes an absolute exodus pass me on the stairwell. Yesterday, everything to play for, and out they go. 10 mins of injury time, an equaliser and the Toon chasing the game. EVERYTHING TO STAY FOR. 

When we played Arsenal - 85 minutes and an absolute exodus. Exciting game. Why? 

Need to stop these ballots and get back to the old system. At least get folk in their who'll want to be there and not holidaymakers. 

I got a ballet ticket yesterday and stayed the entire match, even applauded the players afterwards.

The guy behind me who I was speaking to was a season ticket holder, fucked off in the 83rd minute.

On top of this, I have had 2 periods of having a season ticket (both other multiple seasons), one of which I was actually changed location because I was no longer a student, so couldn’t sit up in level 7.

Anyway it was a problem then as much as it is now. My first season ticket was in the Gallowgate next to the access point, the Adidas advertising board in front of me. People who left early would come, watch the end of the match in front of us, blocking our view, every single game.

Edited by Stifler

On 13/02/2024 at 08:54, Dr.Spaceman said:

How was he caught @OCOCOL? Surely they're only checking a very small number of tickets, he must have been incredibly unlucky.

ticket didn’t work at turnstile - as @SteV said I think bus travellers or people close to the organisers are disproportionately targeted. Hard to prove but in all probability true. 

1 minute ago, NE27 said:

Blaming early leavers on the ballot is a new one like.

It's been like that for absolutely years!

This idea that we can isolate the main atmosphere issues down to a single group of fans is ridiculous. Everyone in the ground is responsible for the atmosphere, out of 52,300 fans there’ll be season ticket holders, ballot holders, corporate, young, old, new, veteran etc. People just like to try and scapegoat stuff so they have a place to put their frustrations 

13 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Did anyone actually engage with your point that you're in the fucking standing section? Or just get abused?

5 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Blaming early leavers on the ballot is a new one like.

It's been like that for absolutely years!

I know folk have always left early. But I suggested exodus because I believe there's loads now leaving earlier than before. I'd guess a lot of Cat2 ballot tickets (in the Gallowgate ) will be in the higher part of the Gallowgate Upper - the top 6/7 rows mainly. It looks empty towards the end. 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

This idea that we can isolate the main atmosphere issues down to a single group of fans is ridiculous. Everyone in the ground is responsible for the atmosphere, out of 52,300 fans there’ll be season ticket holders, ballot holders, corporate, young, old, new, veteran etc. People just like to try and scapegoat stuff so they have a place to put their frustrations 

Yeah this pretty much.

And as shit as it is, it's clearly part of a wider 'issue' in modern football as evidenced by the same discussions being had on most rivalsessage boards/socials.

More corporate, more trying to push PL as global as possible, clubs losing that local connection to it's fan base in search of more lucrative spectators.

I do hope the trust have picked up some feedback from it's members (I've put it to them a few times) and lobby the club for dedicated areas for fans who want to really go at singing and standing, and introduce more standing areas hopefully.

Thought the atmosphere in the Gallowgate started as well as it has all season yesterday. 

Other parts of ground have always been fairly muted over the years so not sure if that much has changed in 2 if not all 3 of the other stands.

In a weird way for the players it’s possibly improved because rather than turning toxic in bad spells of the game it turns quite muted when a goal conceded. So although not achieving the heights it can it’s also not plummeting the depths either.

One thing I have been disappointed by was when all to still play for with time on the clock (Milan at 1-1, Luton at 4-4 and yesterday at 2-2) that last big push of support seems very muted.

No point in looking for logic in those that leave early unfortunately. Just wasting your time. Certainly not related to their type of ticket.

18 minutes ago, BUJ said:

I know folk have always left early. But I suggested exodus because I believe there's loads now leaving earlier than before. I'd guess a lot of Cat2 ballot tickets (in the Gallowgate ) will be in the higher part of the Gallowgate Upper - the top 6/7 rows mainly. It looks empty towards the end. 

I think the Gallowgate is very heavily season ticket, isn’t it? I’ve never got a ballot ticket there ever. 

I was sat near a guy who had obviously been in the same seat for decades. Turned up mortal 10 mins late, left early for HT and left 10 mins early to get back to the club for a couple more pints :lol:

It’s not to do with the type of fan. That said, allowing singers (ST and ballot) to group together is probably the only way to save it. 

FWIW there was little signing were I was but the ‘atmosphere’ was very lively. It was just more standing and shouting stuff than singing songs :lol:

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

35 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Did anyone actually engage with your point that you're in the fucking standing section? Or just get abused?

Nope. I was literally pointing at the bars saying “what do you think they’re here for?!”

It was like being in a Roman Coliseum - trying to explain to a baying crowd :lol: 

Utterly pointless and hopeless. There was 3 of us out of the entire block, second row from the front. The taps on the back and the shouting was just ridiculous. And then when we had the penalty - and everyone around us in that block continued to sit down - I was just like - what is the point in this? £44 a ticket man. 

Close to giving up on it all tbh. Waste of time and money. Not an enjoyable experience at all. 

45 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Nope. I was literally pointing at the bars saying “what do you think they’re here for?!”

It was like being in a Roman Coliseum - trying to explain to a baying crowd :lol: 

Utterly pointless and hopeless. There was 3 of us out of the entire block, second row from the front. The taps on the back and the shouting was just ridiculous. And then when we had the penalty - and everyone around us in that block continued to sit down - I was just like - what is the point in this? £44 a ticket man. 

Close to giving up on it all tbh. Waste of time and money. Not an enjoyable experience at all. 

I gave up after Dortmund and don’t miss it one bit, the match day experience has gone for me and unless the club do something to help the atmosphere I won’t be back.

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

I’d flag this to the Trust. Needs raising with the club. It’s either a safe standing section or it’s not. 

Needs to be made clear to everyone that gets a ticket in there one way or the other. Take away the apparent grey area and you take away the conflict IMO.