Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Just now, Wandy said:

I absolutely hate that Hi Ho one that gets sung. Also that Mull of Kintyre shit from Forest. Absolute cringefest stuff.

Aye I hate Mull of Kintyre like, awful.

Have to concur with others re our songs. Even that new Willock one is nicked from Villa, shameless as fuck.

Unless a song has about 5 words though it will never be sang by the whole of SJP. 

8 minutes ago, brummie said:

He's black, he's broon

He's playing for the Toon

Cunningham, Cunningham

Yeah that’s the one. Staggering really but I don’t think it was ever sung from a derogative perspective. Not that this made it remotely acceptable of course.

Edited by Wandy

5 minutes ago, brummie said:

No, it originated with Napoli. 

I never knew that actually. I just saw a video of that Jamie Webster singing it in front of them and thought they had come up with it themselves.

5 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Aye I hate Mull of Kintyre like, awful.

Have to concur with others re our songs. Even that new Willock one is nicked from Villa, shameless as fuck.

Unless a song has about 5 words though it will never be sang by the whole of SJP. 

What is the Willock one?

EDIT googled, it's the Coutinho one.

I hate that one, too. Ours, I mean.

Edited by brummie

Always hoped we would adopt the Iceland chant and just shout "Toon". Would sound awesome in a full St. James' Park if the purists would accept one guy to use a drum a few times a match. There's enough Nordic heritage in the NE to justify it surely? :lol:

1 hour ago, Hovagod said:

Nonsense 

Of course it did. Pre Ashley and including the first few years of his reign we had a varied songbook that included many traditional Newcastle songs. Post Ashley we have a boring generic songbook and the support is far different these days. Any regular at the match over the past 15 years could see how the support has changed over that time, and not for the better. Something changed during those years.

Speaking from my own experience I know loads of lads, lads I'd have classed as diehard fans, travelled across Europe, midweek aways to the far end of tne Country etc who drifted away during Ashley (some are back at the home games now but can't get access to away tickets) and I've also seen new fans replacing them as crowds remained pretty constant. People who only had a passing interest and in some cases no interest at all (one lad I know who now has a ST in L7 with his son once told me several years ago that he'd rather watch Coronation Street than a football match!) have taken their place but it's to the detriment of the atmosphere, or more specifically the songbook, which is the most boring we've had in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, brummie said:

He's black, he's broon

He's playing for the Toon

Cunningham, Cunningham

Also remember it being sung about Franz Carr in the very early 90s. Groups of people singing it outside the ground before his home debut v Watford. Thankfully it never really took off once inside. As has been mentioned there was still a racist undertone around the place at that time but the Andy Cole signing the following year more or less killed that stone dead.

Only thing club has done wrong imo is this corporate section. 600 on saturday apparently.

You can tell as well as near where I was there was people who almost looked like they didnt want to be there. Speaking to my mates who I work with who are chelsea and Man utd home and away they comment on fans at their games who don't even know songs who are clearly tourists...Feels like that with some fans we attract now. Its less noticed in smaller grounds or more attractive fixtures. Take Brentford ever song me and 2 mates would start would spread across whole away end in seconds...not so much saturday.

Also at brentford when starting older chants everyone knew them. We had...hark now here, we hate nottingham forest, fullwell end, we are the geordies the cock of north...

3 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Was shit in the upper tier on Saturday. Kick off time, lack of alcohol (why?), and team performance all factors 

Doesnt help but i've been to mid week away games were we havent won away all season better.

My take from being there seemed to be loads first timers, tourists etc.

1 hour ago, Hovagod said:

Was shit in the upper tier on Saturday. Kick off time, lack of alcohol (why?), and team performance all factors 

I've no idea why but they never sell booze in the away end.

It makes no sense. I can confirm that even in the bits of the ground where they do sell booze, it takes so long to get served it's impossible to get a drink most of the time anyway.

Also, don't know what they expect people who arrive at the ground at the most 20 minutes before kick off to do, get pissed? The ones who want to get pissed will arrive pre-pissed.

Just now, NWMag said:

Don’t know if it just didn’t translate watching on TV, but it sounded pretty flat on the most part today. I would have expected it be bouncing when we were 4/5-0 up

I assumed the majority were just sat in disbelief, as I was.

There was at least two goals I didn't celebrate today; sure, one is par for the course because VAR exists (wondered if Murphy might've been off for the first), but when the fifth went in it was just a wide-eyed silence. :lol:

Was a weird atmosphere in the ground during the game and on the streets after the game, just disbelief. Too much for our little brains to take in, in too short a space of time.

We're not used to results like that in games as important as that.

Edited by bobbydazzla

7 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Don’t know if it just didn’t translate watching on TV, but it sounded pretty flat on the most part today. I would have expected it be bouncing when we were 4/5-0 up

We had 5 goals in 22 minutes, man. We were all fucked. [emoji38]

18 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Was a weird atmosphere in the ground during the game and on the streets after the game, just disbelief. Too much for our little brains to take in, in too short a space of time.

We're not used to results like that in games as important as that.

It reminded me a bit of the Villa game I was at earlier in the season. That was quite flat despite us mullering a team and set of fans we have an odd bit of rivalry with. 

In games gone by it's been "we were nervous" and now for this one its "we were in shock". Quite impressive how people are coming up with excuses for bang average support. [emoji38]

Think it's just best that everyone accepts that there are issues with our support that need addressing instead of making silly excuses. Being 5-0 up after 20 mins and SJP being flat is a new low.

If the issue isn't addressed our home atmosphere is well on the way to being like Man City's. And we haven't even won owt yet.

Said it before and will say it again. The fact that we have, for some reason, lost our songbook is making SJP go like a library far too often. That safe standing section can't come quick enough.

Edited by Wandy