Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

9 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Could people doing that Fulwell end chant please stop it please? Not judging, I’m sure that you’re not actually dull homophobes, but let’s recapture your era some other way if that’s okay 

Don't people sing it with c**ts nowadays rather than the homophobic word in question? 

If not, totally agree 

26 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Leazes Level 2 - a stone’s throw away from where I used to be. NE Corner wasn’t anywhere what it used to be. Sitting on back rows is now pretty standard other than the ST holders. The odd ‘Eddie Howe’ chant was sung and snaked around to the Leazes.

Bumped into few lads I used to stand next to and they asked why I wasn’t there anymore and they ask how come the others now sit down on their phones. 

Mint 👍🏻

Leazes was awful. Burnley very audible. And a group of 50 kids were very loud. I’d love to know how they all got in sat together - because I sure as hell can’t manage it with 2.

50 kids sat in Leazes together?

Needs standing in the leazes

Managed to get a re-sale ticket for this in the Milburn (near the press box) - 75 minutes in an older woman with her husband both poked  me in the back as I was stood a little longer than she wanted when Gordon won the penalty. 

"sit down, sit down" she whinged. Had to bite my tongue, but felt a little deflated by it as the atmopshere around where I was sitting was silent.

(Strawberry corner was decent & very loud when it got going)

Thought it was decent enough today.

Very muted to begin with (much like on the pitch), but Miggy’s goal woke everyone up and thought it was decent from there on in.

Just on the chat about trouble getting in - I’m in the middle of the Leazes (turnstiles 17/18) and it’s been fine every game. I’m really confused as to why it seems so much of a problem in the East Stand and Gallowgate? 🤷🏽‍♂️

And for anyone wondering (that’ll be no-one) the ex-player guest in Wings today was Franz Carr.

7 minutes ago, RR15 said:

Managed to get a re-sale ticket for this in the Milburn (near the press box) - 75 minutes in an older woman with her husband both poked  me in the back as I was stood a little longer than she wanted when Gordon won the penalty. 

"sit down, sit down" she whinged. Had to bite my tongue, but felt a little deflated by it as the atmopshere around where I was sitting was silent.

(Strawberry corner was decent & very loud when it got going)

A real man like @RUHRLYASLEEVESUP would have swung for her. 

39 minutes ago, SteV said:

Thought it was decent enough today.

Very muted to begin with (much like on the pitch), but Miggy’s goal woke everyone up and thought it was decent from there on in.

Just on the chat about trouble getting in - I’m in the middle of the Leazes (turnstiles 17/18) and it’s been fine every game. I’m really confused as to why it seems so much of a problem in the East Stand and Gallowgate? 🤷🏽‍♂️

And for anyone wondering (that’ll be no-one) the ex-player guest in Wings today was Franz Carr.

Queues round the East Stand & Gallowgate at 2.30 were unreal, absolutely massive

The amount of people coming up the Strawberry steps from town is a proper issue, it’s rammed outside that part of the ground. Fuck knows why it takes so much longer to get in on phones 

And atmosphere was shite where I was and it’s normally class. Basically had hundreds of people who would usually be stood singing, but were sat down chatting about how unfair it was that they’ve had a letter to say they’re not allowed to stand and sing 

Quietest I’ve seen Strawberry Corner since the takeover, proper deflating experience given how much noise is usually generated round there  

Edited by bobbydazzla

16 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Queues round the East Stand & Gallowgate at 2.30 were unreal, absolutely massive

The amount of people coming up the Strawberry steps from town is a proper issue, it’s rammed outside that part of the ground. Fuck knows why it takes so much longer to get in on phones 

And atmosphere was shite where I was and it’s normally class. Basically had hundreds of people who would usually be stood singing, but were sat down chatting about how unfair it was that they’ve had a letter to say they’re not allowed to stand and sing 

Quietest I’ve seen Strawberry Corner since the takeover, proper deflating experience given how much noise is usually generated round there  

Honestly find it bizarre how entry seems to be so much worse in different parts of the ground?

Surely it can’t just be user error? 

Either way the club needs to be looking at it asap and trying to do whatever they can. Not sure I know what that is, but set up help points right next to problem turnstiles or whatever?

Went up to the ground at 2:25, much earlier than I ever have done in the past. Didn't get inside until 2:45, queues were mad. Was in the East Stand today. 

Genuinely don't understand why it's the case and have absolutely zero faith it'll be sorted. Long gone are the days when you could leave the pub at 2:40 and be in your seat before the players come out.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Went up to the ground at 2:25, much earlier than I ever have done in the past. Didn't get inside until 2:45, queues were mad. Was in the East Stand today. 

Genuinely don't understand why it's the case and have absolutely zero faith it'll be sorted. Long gone are the days when you could leave the pub at 2:40 and be in your seat before the players come out.

This really seems mental. 

Got to ground (Leazes) at 2:35, was in by 2:45. How can it possibly be so different?

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Got to ground (Leazes) at 2:35, was in by 2:45. How can it possibly be so different?

Genuinely don't understand why. Thought it could've been typical non-tech savvy East Stand gadgies being the reason but the Gallowgate seems to be just as bad.

Also no one seems to know outside the East Stand where each queue for each turnstile starts, so some stand where they think a queue is but they're pushing in or ahead of an already existing longer queue and those in that longer queue kick off and arguments start. Happened a couple times today. Absolute shambles.

7 minutes ago, SteV said:

I walked down from Leazes Park towards Gallowgate around 2.30 and the size of the queues down the East Stand and Gallowgate was insane 

I can’t work out why it’s so much worse round that side of the ground, but it’s shocking to see the size of the queues 

And there’s definitely the chance of aggro as it’s difficult to work out where the queues start, so people are gobbing off about others pushing in when they’re not doing it deliberately 

Edited by bobbydazzla

the south west corner has become really dangerous.

its so overcrowded and basically a massive crush before each game. 

we go that way to get to the gallowgate turnstiles and its a nightmare, especially for small kids.

is the strawberry corner a little less packed? might start coming up that way instead.

Edited by huss9

4 minutes ago, huss9 said:

the south west corner has become really dangerous.

its so overcrowded and basically a massive crush before each game. 

we go that way to get to the gallowgate and its a nightmare, especially for small kids.

is the strawberry corner a little less packed? might start coming up that way instead.

Strawberry corner is rammo, absolutely heaving even 30 mins before kick off 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Since you can freely walk round almost all of the ground, I just pick a nearby turnstile than has a small queue. Been alright so far. The first game with e-tickets had a massive queue at one turnstile but another nearby had nobody. 

thats the problem.

2.30 onwards it almost impossible to push through the the crush at the south west corner.

Edited by huss9

Well that's me done with it all this season. Won't be applying in any more of those ballets.

Got to our turnstile at 14.40. I think getting to the turnstile 20 mins before the match is reasonable enough. Used to be 5 mins with the old system but fair enough I'll move with the times and get there earlier now they've made it more difficult to get in.

Queue was ridiculous. Finally took our seats at 15.10. Had more or less lost the will to live by this point so instead of being full of excitement like I usually am I simply couldn't be arsed, as couldn't the bairn I noticed. Atmosphere was dreadful to say tbe least and noticed plenty of people still filtering in after us.

We'd had nowt to eat as the bairn had been playing football in the morning and we came straight from there. Decided to leave to head to the kiosk on 40 mins to beat the queues. Waited 35 mins for some curry and chips. Took our seats for the 2nd half on 62 mins. By this time I simply couldn't be arsed with the whole experience. Sat for 15 mins and decided just to go back to the pub as I simply couldn't be bothered with it all.

Got offered a ticket for PSG in the Five Swans after the match (I was unsuccessful in the ballot). Knocked it back. I'd rather watch it on the TV. It's far easier.

Thought the atmosphere was awful today. Other than the Burnley fans and the usual corner of the Gallowgate it was deathly silent. Its a shame really.

Edited by Wallsendmag

12 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Well that's me done with it all this season. Won't be applying in any more of those ballets.

Got to our turnstile at 14.40. I think getting to the turnstile 20 mins before the match is reasonable enough. Used to be 5 mins with the old system but fair enough I'll move with the times and get there earlier now they've made it more difficult to get in.

Queue was ridiculous. Finally took our seats at 15.10. Had more or less lost the will to live by this point so instead of being full of excitement like I usually am I simply couldn't be arsed, as couldn't the bairn I noticed. Atmosphere was dreadful to say tbe least and noticed plenty of people still filtering in after us.

We'd had nowt to eat as the bairn had been playing football in the morning and we came straight from there. Decided to leave to head to the kiosk on 40 mins to beat the queues. Waited 35 mins for some curry and chips. Took our seats for the 2nd half on 62 mins. By this time I simply couldn't be arsed with the whole experience. Sat for 15 mins and decided just to go back to the pub as I simply couldn't be bothered with it all.

Got offered a ticket for PSG in the Five Swans after the match (I was unsuccessful in the ballot). Knocked it back. I'd rather watch it on the TV. It's far easier.

Thought the atmosphere was awful today. Other than the Burnley fans and the usual corner of the Gallowgate it was deathly silent. Its a shame really.

the half time food queue has always been like that, but the pre-match turnstiles are getting ridiculous.

did the NUST mention that in the results of the survey?

11 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

The fact that there’s such a disparity in experiences of getting in between stands, just isn’t right.

@Greg sure the Trust have probably raised already, but sounds like there’s  certain parts of the ground that need immediate attention from the club.

Just now, huss9 said:

the half time food queue has always been like that, but the pre-match turnstiles are getting ridiculous.

did the NUST mention that in the results of the survey?

I've been going to SJP since 1984. I've never had to queue 35 mins for some chips before. Ever.

19 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Beyond a joke, was same for me v Brentford, got in my seat 15 mins after k.o. every game been 20 mins to get in minimum. 

Aye trouble is with atmosphere all comes from one end. I honestly dunno why the support trust, supporters club or wor flags dont try and work on it more. You have one corner rocking. Just need one oppisite, never mind bring your fucking scarf, get some radgies in the leazes

Edited by NUFC91

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

The fact that there’s such a disparity in experiences of getting in between stands, just isn’t right.

@Greg sure the Trust have probably raised already, but sounds like there’s  certain parts of the ground that need immediate attention from the club.

Waste of time mate. The club have decided this is the way forward. Same with away tickets. You either take it or you leave it. Trust can't/won't do a thing about it.

I'll leave it. It's not an enjoyable experience for me.