Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

7 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Beyond a joke, was same for me v Brentford, got in my seat 15 mins after k.o. every game been 20 mins to get in minimum. 

Aye trouble is with atmosphere all comes from one end. I honestly dunno why the support trust, supporters club or wor flags dont try and work on it more. You have one corner rocking. Just need one oppisite, never mind bring your fucking scarf, get some radgies in the leazes

And apologies to anyone who’s sick of my bleating about this, but the club have just sent letters to hundreds of fans in that corner who are usually stood up and rocking and told them if they don’t sit the fuck down they’ll get banned 

Edited by bobbydazzla

3 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Waste of time mate. The club have decided this is the way forward. Same with away tickets. You either take it or you leave it. Trust can't/won't do a thing about it.

I'll leave it. It's not an enjoyable experience for me. 

Appreciate your frustration, but your type of experience does nothing to benefit the club. 

If anything they want you in as quickly and smoothly as possible so you’ll subsequently buy your beer/chips/hot dog.

Wasnt there today but was in L7 for the City match on Wednesday. There was a real log jam at the turnstile there too. Atmosphere was as shite as I feared up there and I thought the general atmosphere within the whole stadium was wank too. City fans embarrassed us for noise.

I'm now fully of the opinion that we need a new stadium and I suspect that the feasibility study will show it too. SJP as it is is simply not fit for purpose as a state of the art stadium. Its lop-sided, has terrible views within a whole section and has poor accoustics. Rip it up and start again somewhere within the city centre.

Edited by Wandy

3 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Who's driving these letters to the fans to sit down? Surely the club could just let it be, benefit to atmosphere helps the club if anything. Must be some section pushing for it - moaning fans? police?

I’d say it’d be the police more than anything.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Wasnt there today but was in L7 for the City match on Wednesday. There was a real log jam at the turnstile there too. Atmosphere was as shite as I feared up there and I thought the general atmosphere within the whole stadium was wank too. City fans embarrassed us for noise.

I'm now fully of the opinion that we need a new stadium and I suspect that the feasibility study will show it too. SJP as it is is simply not fit for purpose as a state of the art stadium. Its lop-sided, has terrible views within a whole section and has poor accoustics. Rip it up and start again somewhere within the city centre.

I see you have loads of "likes".  New stadium my arse!

6 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Who's driving these letters to the fans to sit down? Surely the club could just let it be, benefit to atmosphere helps the club if anything. Must be some section pushing for it - moaning fans? police?

Loads of ST holders have been standing in that section for at least 2 years, so bit odd that it’s been clamped down on now

The chat around me was that it’s a lady who sits in a wheelchair on the raised concourse behind the section, she’s complained to a steward and that’s triggered the letters

Seems too specific to be made up, but it was terrace talk so could easily be bollocks 

One thing that definitely isn’t made up bollocks was that everyone was pissed off about having to sit down so the atmosphere was shite 

9 hours ago, SteV said:

Appreciate your frustration, but your type of experience does nothing to benefit the club. 

If anything they want you in as quickly and smoothly as possible so you’ll subsequently buy your beer/chips/hot dog.

It does benefit the club. What do they care about me missing the first 10 mins of the match when instead of having to print out and post me my ticket they can simply email it to me instead. 

It's much more beneficial to them to do that, but no good to me. 40 years I've been going to SJP and I've never ever known anything like that yesterday. It's not an experience I'll be repeating either.

7 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

It's probably a legal thing as much as anything. The law says the fans have to be seated and if they aren't then it isn't safe.

If the club are aware of a large group of fans standing (and they can hardly plead ignorance on that) and are seen to be taking no action whatsoever, if anything were to happen the club is immediately in negligence territory. 

It is so frustrating hearing about these letters. The ground needs a massive overhaul in terms of seat location. We need a whole end where you can stand and sing. People need to be moved and grouped together. If people get upset by that then so fuck. The moaners need to be upset for once, shift them out. The club think nothing of upsetting the vocal supporters. They want your support but then do everything they can to stop you giving it. It is shocking to be honest.

8 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

It's probably a legal thing as much as anything. The law says the fans have to be seated and if they aren't then it isn't safe.

If the club are aware of a large group of fans standing (and they can hardly plead ignorance on that) and are seen to be taking no action whatsoever, if anything were to happen the club is immediately in negligence territory. 

The law is an ass

The whole thing needs looked at strategically. Whilst a new stadium with new infrastructure would solve many of these problems, it's not feasible unless we are talking 10-20 years time. 

There simply isn't the land or the expenditure available for such a huge project. I think we have to get it out of our heads that there's a billion quid in reserve. 

Let's say in 5 years time we manage to add 5000-8000 seats, that then gives scope to move people around, extend the safe standing areas, have purpose built disabled areas (not like old Trafford please!) And also allows more non season ticket holders to in pairs and not on their own. 

One thing I think is easier to implement is a safe standing area right under the away support OR the level 7 section right next to them. 

No matter how much noise the gallowgate makes, its not in competition with the away support where that noise is lost. 

32 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Watch any Premier League game on TV and you'll see 1000s of fans packed behind 1 goal all stood up for the entirety of the game. Never understood why we are treated any differently than all the other clubs but its very noticeable that the % of fans who stand up at the match is much smaller than at any other ground, with the possible exception of Fulham Bournemouth and Sheff Utd.

As I said yesterday was the most miserable matchday experience I've ever had, certainly when we've won. Typical when we finally look like getting our act together and being a force on the pitch!!

7 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

The whole thing needs looked at strategically. Whilst a new stadium with new infrastructure would solve many of these problems, it's not feasible unless we are talking 10-20 years time. 

There simply isn't the land or the expenditure available for such a huge project. I think we have to get it out of our heads that there's a billion quid in reserve. 

Let's say in 5 years time we manage to add 5000-8000 seats, that then gives scope to move people around, extend the safe standing areas, have purpose built disabled areas (not like old Trafford please!) And also allows more non season ticket holders to in pairs and not on their own. 

One thing I think is easier to implement is a safe standing area right under the away support OR the level 7 section right next to them. 

No matter how much noise the gallowgate makes, its not in competition with the away support where that noise is lost. 

I new stadium would cost in the region of £500m-£750m and you wouldn’t need anywhere near that amount of money in advance.

5 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Move the away fans into the lower bowl. 

I'd stick them in the largest of the 4 corners underneath the TV Studios. That corner holds near enough 3k. The obvious problem with that though is it's close proximity to the Platinum Club/Bar 1892 and you know they'd kick up a stink!

We’ve got attendance via ballot, randomly allocated seats, warning letters to unofficial standing sections, empty seats when tickets are like gold dust and 30 minute queues to enter some sections of the ground. 

No wonder the atmosphere has nosedived this season.

Club are fucking this up so badly.

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 hour ago, bobbydazzla said:

Loads of ST holders have been standing in that section for at least 2 years, so bit odd that it’s been clamped down on now

The chat around me was that it’s a lady who sits in a wheelchair on the raised concourse behind the section, she’s complained to a steward and that’s triggered the letters

Seems too specific to be made up, but it was terrace talk so could easily be bollocks 

One thing that definitely isn’t made up bollocks was that everyone was pissed off about having to sit down so the atmosphere was shite 

Pop her tyres. That’ll learn her.

49 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

There is no law to say that fans have to be seated at football matches.

The law used to stipulate that fans had to be provided a seat in top tier football, not that fans had to actually sit in them, but even that isn't the case anymore with safe standing being allowed.

It is entirely the decision of the club to enforce this so strictly.

In the early 2000s Manchester council attempted to kick up a fuss and threaten partial ground closures due to persistent standing at Old Trafford. They found through an investigation that the greatest risk to supporters occured when supporters were celebrating, not when just standing passively/singing, so ended up unable to pursue any sanctions against the club. 

Thousands of fans stand in seated areas up and down the country. 

LWC L7 was shite, there's barely any noise even though it's close to the away section, no banter between fans.

Loads sat all game with their phones out and a load of empty seats.

The bar/food area and the queing is even worse

Obviously some people must prefer to be up there, but fk knows why 🤷‍♂️

Edited by patrone

9 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

There is no law to say that fans have to be seated at football matches.

The law used to stipulate that fans had to be provided a seat in top tier football, not that fans had to actually sit in them, but even that isn't the case anymore with safe standing being allowed.

It is entirely the decision of the club to enforce this so strictly.

In the early 2000s Manchester council attempted to kick up a fuss and threaten partial ground closures due to persistent standing at Old Trafford. They found through an investigation that the greatest risk to supporters occured when supporters were celebrating, not when just standing passively/singing, so ended up unable to pursue any sanctions against the club. 

Thousands of fans stand in seated areas up and down the country. 

That's interesting, I thought that (aside from the designated safe standing areas) the ground had to be all-seater but it's obviously a regulations thing rather than a law.

Either way, it's not an ideal situation. Obviously there are people who want to stand but there are also people who don't - sometimes for the same reason people don't like the allocated seats thing (eg "I can't walk all the way up to L7 because I have bad knees"). For the record I don't like the way seats are allocated in the ballot either and this seems like another issue caused by it.

Edited by Keegans Export

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

That's interesting, I thought that (aside from the designated safe standing areas) the ground had to be all-seater but it's obviously a regulations thing rather than a law.

Either way, it's not an ideal situation. Obviously there are people who want to stand but there are also people who don't - sometimes for the same reason people don't like the allocated seats thing (eg "I can't walk all the way up to L7 because I have bad knees"). For the record I don't like the way seats are allocated in the ballot either and this seems like another issue caused by it.

Aye the ground has to be all seated (aside from safe standing sections), but there's no mention or provision regarding "supporters must sit in those seats". 

It's just a ground regulation, in the same way that no swearing is.

6 minutes ago, patrone said:

LWC L7 was shite, there's barely any noise even though it's close to the away section, no banter between fans.

Loads sat all game with their phones out and a load of empty seats.

The bar/food area and the queing is even worse

Obviously some people must prefer to be up there, but fk knows why 🤷‍♂️

Why do the cunts even have to take their phones out their pockets? There's no reception at SJP? 

I might take one or two pictures before the game if I'm in an alternative seat, maybe one or two after the game when the ground is nearly empty but the phone is in the pocket for the match because weirdly like most folk I'm watching the football and living the experience

And don't get me started on cunts who record parts of the match! It's on TV later and nee one is interested in your shit video