Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

8 hours ago, Wandy said:

As someone who has been hugely critical of the SJP atmosphere I'm surprised to hear the negative comments about yesterday. I was in the East Stand, right next to the Gallowgate standing corner and the singing never stopped all game. And from where I sat it felt like the whole ground was lively. Was it really that bad around other parts of the stadium?

Was in the standing section and thought it was good for 70 mins or so. First half was class at times, could see the Leazes and Milburn all joining in quite a bit. 

Think the tele makes SJP sound shit. I have said on here before but for the Brighton game I was in the directors area and was blown away by how loud it was at times. Watched the game back and it sounded like a morgue. 

Edited by Danh1

• 3 weeks later...

What was it like yesterday then?

I'm abroad at the moment but watched it in a bar, albeit with the sound switched off ffs, so couldn't get a feel of how the crowd were, until the ending minutes when people finally looked animated?

I've read a few reports though that said the place was quiet.

17 minutes ago, Wandy said:

What was it like yesterday then?

I'm abroad at the moment but watched it in a bar, albeit with the sound switched off ffs, so couldn't get a feel of how the crowd were, until the ending minutes when people finally looked animated?

I've read a few reports though that said the place was quiet.

There felt a lot of tension in the leazers east corner where I was sitting but this was down to one bloody ginger idiot screaming abuse at the players from the start.

Honestly no idea how he coped when we were shite ! 

Mate if you are on here.. you need to smoke something before the games or you will have a bloody heart attack! 

On 28/08/2023 at 23:08, Danh1 said:

Was in the standing section and thought it was good for 70 mins or so. First half was class at times, could see the Leazes and Milburn all joining in quite a bit. 

Think the tele makes SJP sound shit. I have said on here before but for the Brighton game I was in the directors area and was blown away by how loud it was at times. Watched the game back and it sounded like a morgue. 

Certain TV companies definitely muffle the sound to reduce the bad language etc and it’s now such an extent that it takes away a lot from the reality of the atmosphere and the product itself for viewers.

Its really noticeable the different audio feeds when you’ve a decent AV setup.

Absolute joke the ticketing system, got in at 5:40pm. Ground wasnt full until 5:45ish, kills atmosphere completely.

I'd say the corner were loud and proud as were other corner but leazes is full of boring twisting spectators. Said it a million times...get another standing end in there. Full of idiots who clap the attendance and fuck off after 84 minutes.

It seems odd that certain parts of the ground there seems no issue at all getting in, then other parts there’s massive queues?

I know we joke about everyone in the East Stand being 90, but it can’t just be that, surely?

Leazes East corner, was able to stand for the full game which was good. Some bursts of singing but not consistent

First time I’ve been in Leazes for about 10 year, not a part of the ground I’d go for, given a choice 

I really miss being in Strawberry Corner and walking into the ground every game knowing I’d be standing up and we’d be noisy  

Edited by bobbydazzla

Apparently there were a few empty seats in the new wings corporate section in middle of the Leazes and those 17 seats in the park grill nobody could buy.

One way to destroy the atmosphere even more is placing corporate seats directly behind the goal. 

Im sure those seats in Wings are 300 quid plus which is far more than the previous sports bar seats they had there.

The new ownership have got most things right but feel Eales and Silverstone are wholly responsible for the ticketing shambles this season.

Instead of scoring cheap fucking brownie points with have you ever seen a mackem in Milan shite, get the fucking ticketing policy sorted and make sure there’s not fucking empty seats all over the shop home and away you useless overpaid cunts.

17 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Apparently there were a few empty seats in the new wings corporate section in middle of the Leazes and those 17 seats in the park grill nobody could buy.

One way to destroy the atmosphere even more is placing corporate seats directly behind the goal. 

Im sure those seats in Wings are 300 quid plus which is far more than the previous sports bar seats they had there.

The new ownership have got most things right but feel Eales and Silverstone are wholly responsible for the ticketing shambles this season.

Instead of scoring cheap fucking brownie points with have you ever seen a mackem in Milan shite, get the fucking ticketing policy sorted and make sure there’s not fucking empty seats all over the shop home and away you useless overpaid cunts.

John Beresford was sat in there. Presume he must have doing a bit pre and post-match chatting shite.

Edited by SteV

24 minutes ago, SteV said:

John Beresford was sat in there. Presume he must have doing a bit pre and post-match chatting shite.

Seems massively overpriced for an area behind the goal, it’s going to look embarrassing having loads of empty’s in their all season. Sure the Barracks in the Milburn is fucking cheaper. Not to mention away fans can openly buy tickets in these corporate areas without question, which is fucking ridiculous in a home end behind the goal.

This smacks of new execs looking to justify their wage packet and increase revenue by shafting ordinary fans.

Personally feel Eales has been embarrassing to date with cheap sound bites. 

They’ve massively recruited in the marketing department and left the ticket office to operate on a shoe string whilst trying to implement big changes.

Really think the whole ticketing situation has soured the start to this season for many.

Edited by Whitley mag

Was on the level 7 balcony yday. First block on the safe standing bit so was also able to stand all game again which is great. Loads others in the balcony sat in silence, hardly celebrated the goal. The bigger blocks behind had a fair few standing and could see loads standing in the Gallowgate too. 

Thought the atmosphere was flat, the performance didn’t really help, but seems a load of day trippers there more interested in taking photos and videos. 

9 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Seems massively overpriced for an area behind the goal, it’s going to look embarrassing having loads of empty’s in their all season. Sure the Barracks in the Milburn is fucking cheaper. Not to mention away fans can openly buy tickets in these corporate areas without question, which is fucking ridiculous in a home end behind the goal.

This smacks of new execs looking to justify their wage packet and increase revenue by shafting ordinary fans.

They’ve massively recruited in the marketing department and left the ticket office to operate on a shoe string whilst trying to implement big changes.

Really think the whole ticketing situation has soured the start to this season for many.

In all honesty we haven't got the first clue what Eales or any of the new staff have been doing, other than tying up the club's largest ever kit deal, of course.

Not sure what you expected just a few months in.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I sit right in front of it, and I can’t say I noticed the empty seats, although in fairness I obviously wasn’t looking during the match.

What I did notice was that it only seemed to the first 10 rows or so in that section where people had a Wings lanyard on, and at half time the majority of people sat further back were still in their seats, so I presume it’s only those first 10 rows that are actually part of Wings?

49 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

In all honesty we haven't got the first clue what Eales or any of the new staff have been doing, other than tying up the club's largest ever kit deal, of course.

The new ticketing policy only came about since Eales and Silverstone came on the scene, so I think it’s a reasonable assumption they’re behind it.

I didn’t expect them to implement a policy that’s resulted in hundreds of empty seats home and away when demand is at an all time high that’s for sure.

There were a few empty seats dotted about in the Milburn paddock from what I could see from the Gallowgate. Never saw this happening last season and unsure why it's happening now. Ticketing has just been an unmitigated fucking farce when it should be the bare minimum a club at the top level should be getting right. Every change home and away has been utter, utter shit. Was sat around a bunch of mutes where I was in the Gallowgate as well tbh, although the atmosphere was all around decent. 

Hate that I'll pretty much never get to sit with the people I've been going to home games with since I was 5 year old ever again as well. Probably incredibly selfish but there's a row of 5 seats in the East Stand: my dad's mate, my dad, my old ST seat, my mate, another mate of my dad's. I was buying my old ST seat all season for every match when lucky enough to get it depending on queue number. I'll likely never get it again. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

This will most likely go down shite on here, but I find Eales mildly irritating, seen lots of footage of him, it sort of feels like he's faking this super fan shite, singing songs etc, feels like Ashley's honeymoon period vibes, Nufc shirt on downing pints.

Edit: On the ticketing side, the switch in time/day probably caused fans from far and wide to be unable to make it.

Still, I think the ballot sucks, and prefer the old system.

Edited by mighty__mag

31 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Hate that I'll pretty much never get to sit with the people I've been going to home games with since I was 5 year old ever again as well. Probably incredibly selfish but there's a row of 5 seats in the East Stand: my dad's mate, my dad, my old ST seat, my mate, another mate of my dad's. I was buying my old ST seat all season for every match when lucky enough to get it depending on queue number. I'll likely never get it again. 

One of the most important changes that needs to happen is that fans need to be able to choose where they sit within the various categories. The NUSC and NUST need to be feeling the heat to get this sorted, amongst all of the other ticketing farces going on.

Edited by Wandy

6 minutes ago, Wandy said:

One of the most important changes that needs to happen is that fans need to be able to choose where they sit within the various categories. The NUSC and NUST need to be feeling the heat to get this sorted, amongst all of the other ticketing farces going on.

Aye you’re right like. There could easily be people who are happy to sit in the Leazes given a safe standing ticket and then people like me, who’d rather be in the thick of it in the strawberry corner put in Level 7.

Even if you get an email saying you’re successful and then go in and choose your seat from where’s available and pay for your ticket at that point rather than it being taken automatically. 

I haven't been to SJP since about 1990, so forgive me, but the stand to the right as you stand (or stood) on the Gallowgate End, the one that would have been there in 1990 - the newest part of the ground back then - is that still there?

40 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

This will most likely go down shite on here, but I find Eales mildly irritating, seen lots of footage of him, he feels like he's faking this super fan shite, singing songs etc, feels like Ashley's honeymoon period vibes, Nufc shirt on downing pints.

Edit: On the ticketing side, the switch in time/day probably caused fans from far and wide to be unable to make it.

Still, I think the ballot sucks, and prefer the old system.

He reminds me of Roger Nouveau from The Fast Show

I can imagine this sort of patter worked in Atlanta.  Here, I don't think he comes across well - and the ongoing ticketing debacle and the fucking bizarre idea of corporatising the Leazes ... it speaks of knowing sweet FA about local economics.  The club is in the poorest region of GB - someone needs to let Eales and Silverstone know about this basic fucking fact.  You're going to struggle to sell overpriced tickets.

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Yeah, I imagine that must've taken up a lot of time - Silverstone already had a relationship with adidas, and everyone always says how kit deals take as long as multi-billion pound corporate mergers.

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

I haven't been to SJP since about 1990, so forgive me, but the stand to the right as you stand (or stood) on the Gallowgate End, the one that would have been there in 1990 - the newest part of the ground back then - is that still there?

Yep, the East Stand is still there - though by 1990 the old West (now Milburn) stand had been rebuilt