Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, gbandit said:

Surprised by that, I know they beat Wolves 6-0 recently but I just had a look at their other results and they’ve scored more heavily than I’d remembered. It’s odd as they don’t have a quality striker 

Yeah since De Zebri has come in they have been free scoring for the most part. They do concede a few mind and give up chances as well. Think it all rests on how we set up. If we play our normal game we will struggle as it plays right into Brightons hands. Hopefully we don’t press as much and we should be able to win.

Tactically fascinating game. A lot has been made of Brighton's ability to draw teams up the pitch and then play through or over them. I'm sure Howe will be aware and while I don't think we'll sit of as much as Everton did, it might be a case of a slightly deeper press.

They tend to be very open in the middle and look

vulnarable to direct runners, so the likes of ASM, Willock and Isak will be key here. More than anything though, the backlog of games seems to be catching up with them and they just look a bit tired.

It's certainly not the most straightforward game, but one where we have a good chance of taking all three points.

Edited by The Prophet

Well, we know what we have to do so no point going over all that.They do have a very tough schedule, they might fall off...? It may well be the right time to play Brighton but we can't take anything for granted.

Two more smiling dressing room pics, and we're there. 

Think their midfield vs ours at the moment is way better. Could be the difference really. Our players seriously need to pick themselves up and be less sloppy on the ball and giving away possession and momentum, even because of too much fouling all over the pitch. Takes all the rhythm away. Win this and I think we will make it to the CL. Despite their form I don’t see us winning at Chelsea. They have been poor but their “names” might produce something against a better team like us. Proving that they still have quality. 

What I remember from the away fixture is that they played good football, but had no one who could put the ball in the net. Hopefully that will be the same here, because we are conceding chances regularly with our more attacking style, so if we don't score early, then it will help if they miss theirs when they come around.

I think we have to win this one, I don't want to be going into the Chelsea game having to win that one.

Their midfield will have more legs. Mitoma will also be need to be managed by Tripps.

Can't see us losing at this point, but that might change after seeing them play Arse this evening.

I think because most of our previous games against them under Potter have seen them dominate the ball so much and we've barely been able to lay much of a glove on them our fans fear them as they've been a bit of a bogey team since we both got promoted

They're definitely scoring more under the new manager but also look leakier in defence so it should be a good game. Need to get Isak targetting Dunk

19 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Better wingers have failed to do that this season 

Mitoma himself has done that to Trippier this season.:thup:

Came on as a sub and was class down there.

Think it's a draw, unfortunately.

Would love for Burn to miss out but not particularly optimistic of that. Think we're best playing only one of Isak/Wilson, ideally Isak but Wilson has the recent goal count.... guess it depends on if Longstaff can recover or ASM is ready to start.

11 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Defensively these aren't great, unfortunately our defence isn't solid currently either. They have some injuries and hopefully get a few more or some red cards tomorrow. If we play like we did against Man Utd, Spurs and Arsenal (with finishing being better) we will win. Both Everton and Forest have put a few past them these last couple of weeks. I think we are actually playing them at a good time. All on us to make this happen and hopefully the crowd will be at Arsenal levels from last season for this evening kick off. 

Agree it's a good time to play them. They're a team that can cause anyone problems and they were one of our hardest games of the season at their place, but their defensive form has dipped in recent weeks. Hopefully all these fixtures are starting to catch up with them.

Brighton are a very well coached side, who play nice football, but there's an exaggeration of their abilities in here. They've recently been battered by Forest and Everton.

They're also tactically different to how they were second game of the season.

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Brighton are a very well coached side, who play nice football, but there's an exaggeration of their abilities in here. They've recently been battered by Forest and Everton.

They're also tactically different to how they were second game of the season.

They are very good but they have also been overrated by many all season long , people genuinely thought they were a danger to us finishing top 4 at one point .

13 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

They are very good but they have also been overrated by many all season long , people genuinely thought they were a danger to us finishing top 4 at one point .

I mean up until a week ago they where.

14 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Lost any room for manoeuvre after the last two results , draw be no good now in this if we want top 4, simply have to get 6 points from Brighton and Leicester.

That’s not true, we can lose to Brighton and win the last 2.

15 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

They have a good coach, who has them performing greater than the sum of their parts. If we're not on it, they're more than capable of turning us over, but they have their weaknesses and we've seen off better sides at home this season.