Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

24 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Question? If somehow or other we play Feyenoord will Minteh be allowed to play against us ?

In terms of the competition rules, yes.

Whether we’ve done something in the deal to prevent it, unsure.

This all feels slightly surreal still. :lol: How were people for this in '97 and '02 if they can remember? I'm fucking giddy like a child. (will then proceed to be the most miserable cunt on the planet if I can't get tickets but cross that bridge when we come to it)

16 hours ago, Disco said:

image.thumb.png.5ef303fce3834892c8781f031a6e50a8.png

Pot confirmation.

To me there does seem to be varied 'co-effs' that UEFA have 'come up with' as surely are these the values for a teams 'european' exploits - so these value may not be a 'true' picture of how a club is currently performing.

So basically if you avoid as many of the big clubs as possible, so that's the proven teams in pot 2, then the percentage chances of making the next round are greatly increased.

8 minutes ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

To me there does seem to be varied 'co-effs' that UEFA have 'come up with' as surely are these the values for a teams 'european' exploits - so these value may not be a 'true' picture of how a club is currently performing.

So basically if you avoid as many of the big clubs as possible, so that's the proven teams in pot 2, then the percentage chances of making the next round are greatly increased.

That’s exactly what they are plus an added weighting for the strength of the league. They’re not worth anything now the pots have been chosen. 

So I'd fancy us against:

POT 1: Sevilla, Napoli, Benfica, Feyernoord.

POT 2: Porto, Leipzig, Inter, Atletico, Dortmund

POT 3: All of them.

So we are going to have minimum of 1 "nice" opponent in CL terms and a pretty good chance of 2 but not unthinkable that we could end up with 3 favourable opponents.

40 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

This all feels slightly surreal still. :lol: How were people for this in '97 and '02 if they can remember? I'm fucking giddy like a child. (will then proceed to be the most miserable cunt on the planet if I can't get tickets but cross that bridge when we come to it)

Exiting , brilliant atmosphere at St James, remember watching Shevchenko I believe with my 5 yr old , Asprilla the bee's knees .

3 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Hope we don't turn out to be the whipping boys, having said that , I think we were the only team to qualify into the knockout stages having had 0 points after the first 3 games, someone put me right

We never made it to knock out stages. 

it used to be 2 group stages we made it in to the 2nd group stage and are the only team to do so after losing their first 3 games but I don’t think the 2 x groups lasted very long 

Edited by gdm

3 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Hope we don't turn out to be the whipping boys, having said that , I think we were the only team to qualify into the knockout stages having had 0 points after the first 3 games, someone put me right

Qualified for the second group stage when there were two, and we were. Until Atalanta did it in 2019-20.

7 minutes ago, Beren said:

Out of interest, what's the revenue implications of getting out of the group stages for NUFC?

Last year teams received €2.8m for every game they won in the group stage and €930k for every draw in the group stage. So you're looking at a minimum of €8.4m if your group performance is good enough to qualify. 

Then each club got an additional €9.6m as a prize for actually qualifying for the Last 16.

Distribution to clubs from the 2022/23 UEFA Champions League, UEFA

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

We never made it to knock out stages. 

it used to be 2 group stages we made it in to the 2nd group stage and are the only team to do so after losing their first 3 games but I don’t think the 2 x groups lasted very long 

Thought we got through to something or other , still it was a fantastic time