Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

1 minute ago, JLC said:

Just had a peek on oddschecker.com and we are 8th favourites to win it. 🏆 That seems mildly bonkers to me

Might be partly because loads of dafties like me have put bets on us to win it 

17 minutes ago, JLC said:

Just had a peek on oddschecker.com and we are 8th favourites to win it. 🏆 That seems mildly bonkers to me

Here are some stats about our record last year when you combine the top five European leagues into one table.

Fewest goals against: 5th

xG: 8th

xGA: 11th

Expected goal difference per 90 mins : 6th (!)

Points per game : 17th

Most wins: 19th

Most draws : joint 4th

Fewest league defeats : joint 3rd (!)

We also got to a domestic cup final, so can be considered a good cup team.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/Big5/2022-2023/2022-2023-Big-5-European-Leagues-Stats

Going to go out on a limb as a #DeludedJawdee but I reckon we win all of or at least go unbeaten in all of our home games. Don't care who we're playing. We've proven we can at the very least compete against the best from the PL, the best/richest league in the world, at SJP. No reason why we can't do that against those in other European leagues.

The only teams I probably really fear (if that's the right word) in this that aren't in the PL are Bayern, Napoli and Real Madrid. All the others I'd be more or less confident of doing at SJP. Wonder what reception Tonali would get at the San Siro if we draw Milan, mind. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

As 4th seeds, do we start off with a match against the top seeded team in the group? 

Just realised Im away on holiday for the first game. Wounded. 

No, it doesn’t determine the order of your games, that is done later in the day after the draw, and comes down to various factors, with a big one being stadium availability.

I’m going to guess Northumbria Police wouldn’t want us playing at home the same midweek as Sunderland do, if they can help it.

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

No, it doesn’t determine the order of your games, that is done later in the day after the draw, and comes down to various factors, with a big one being stadium availability.

I’m going to guess Northumbria Police wouldn’t want us playing at home the same midweek as Sunderland do, if they can help it.

Not saying you’re wrong, but it’s difficult to get your head around a situation where we’re saying ‘no, we can’t play at home to Real Madrid that day because Sunderland are at home to Hull’.

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

This year in the CL is about enjoying it with no expectation, I’d prefer we get some big teams and even if we lose a number of games, one win would feel amazing at this point

Naaaah, I'd have us in the top 8-9 sides in there. To get through we'd probably have to avoid 2 of the elite in the group, then one of the mega elite in the Round of 16 (talking City, Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid) but I'd fancy us for the 1/4s with a bit of luck in the draw. There's only a few sides where I'd not fancy it at all.

Let's blitz them while we're still a bit of an unknown on the continent. 

8th favourite at 25/1...

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Naaaah, I'd have us in the top 8-9 sides in there. To get through we'd probably have to avoid 2 of the elite in the group, then one of the mega elite in the Round of 16 (talking City, Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid) but I'd fancy us for the 1/4s with a bit of luck in the draw. There's only a few sides where I'd not fancy it at all.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

8th favourite at 25/1...

:thup:

I don't think that's far off. The likes of Inter, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli, Milan, Atletico Madrid have more experience at this level but I think the players we have and our style of play could beat them. 

With Neymar gone and if Mbappe is still out of action I reckon PSG could be beatable, Man Utd are no great shakes. 

Screenshot_20230823-143819.png

Edited by Optimistic Nut

We're the team in Pot 4 that not one of the big sides, or any side really, will want btw. Can't remember the last time that a PL club was in Pot 4 for the group stage draw, but it's a PL club with a very good side and what should be a home ground with a phenomenal atmosphere. Our style of play is also well suited to knockout football; pressing teams to death and a vociferous crowd behind the team. It goes a long way. The constant comparison between us and Klopp's Liverpool 3+ years ago in terms of playstyle is there to see, which is a playstyle that's got them to 3 CL finals in the last 5 years. 

Not saying we're reaching the final btw. :lol: But I'm thinking quarter finals providing we don't get a group of death or Bayern/Real Madrid in the Ro16. Don't think we can get PL teams until the QFs, and of course if we get Man City there then it's curtains.

36 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We're the team in Pot 4 that not one of the big sides, or any side really, will want btw. Can't remember the last time that a PL club was in Pot 4 for the group stage draw, but it's a PL club with a very good side and what should be a home ground with a phenomenal atmosphere. Our style of play is also well suited to knockout football; pressing teams to death and a vociferous crowd behind the team. It goes a long way. The constant comparison between us and Klopp's Liverpool 3+ years ago in terms of playstyle is there to see, which is a playstyle that's got them to 3 CL finals in the last 5 years. 

Not saying we're reaching the final btw. :lol: But I'm thinking quarter finals providing we don't get a group of death or Bayern/Real Madrid in the Ro16. Don't think we can get PL teams until the QFs, and of course if we get Man City there then it's curtains.

Ironically us from what i can tell

49 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I like yours and @Yorkie’s confidence. I think we’re going on surprise teams in Europe and I would love us to go on a run but I’m really not going to have an issue if we don’t progress far. Anything we achieve is a massive bonus. I want our performances to be good and I expect them to be but I’m just over the moon that we’re back 

24 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I like yours and @Yorkie’s confidence. I think we’re going on surprise teams in Europe and I would love us to go on a run but I’m really not going to have an issue if we don’t progress far. Anything we achieve is a massive bonus. I want our performances to be good and I expect them to be but I’m just over the moon that we’re back 

Ah yeah if we're not quite there yet I'm not going to worry about it. Didn't it take a crazy number of attempts for City to break out of the group? Leicester weren't a million miles away from reaching the Semi Final in their run. We could do it. 

54 minutes ago, gbandit said:

You'll never ever beat Dan Burn, Vinicius Jr.

4 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Maccabi H vs Young Boys 

Molde vs Galatasaray 

Braga vs Panathinaikos 

All on TNT Sports at 8pm. Which match are you mainly going to watch? 

Braga Vs Panathinaikos. 

Hoping for wins for Molde, Young Boys, and Panathinaikos, but bar YB, the other two are fairly significant underdogs.

Young Boys and Copenhagen would be great for Pot 3. Reasonably close geographically, both capital cities, shouldn't be any fan hostility or violence, and should be 6 points.

I'd defo look to go to either of those cities (without a ticket) if they come through and we drew them.

5 hours ago, SteV said:

Not saying you’re wrong, but it’s difficult to get your head around a situation where we’re saying ‘no, we can’t play at home to Real Madrid that day because Sunderland are at home to Hull’.

Such a rule deprived us of the wonderful anecdote of the mackems playing Bury (in a more than half empty Stadium of Light) whilst we were beating Barcelona. The day before doesn't have the same kick in the teeth bite to it.

Just now, Jonas said:

Such a rule deprived us of the wonderful anecdote of the mackems playing Bury (in a more than half empty Stadium of Light) whilst we were beating Barcelona. The day before doesn't have the same kick in the teeth bite to it.

I’m sure when we were away to Juventus they played Cambridge or someone of that ilk.