Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

3 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Feeling better and better about the PSG result.

It's one of those where it just hurts because of how it happened. If we had held on all game and equalized late we'd have been buzzing to finish 1-1.

Think we ought to have the tiebreaker over PSG if we end up level too. Not a huge stretch to think we could beat Milan and PSG get held by Dortmund...

If there is any justice in the world that will happen! At least European football is in our hands at home under the lights :indi:

On the subject of which result hurts more. It’s easily Liverpool for me. We lost that game because of our performance, to probably the team I would enjoy beating the most. The PSG result happened because of something completely out of our control. Can never get as upset when we were faultless. It’s less of an emotional feeling and more of just a “well, that’s just fucking shit isn’t it. We would have had a European night to rank amongst our best ever”

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

On the subject of which result hurts more. It’s easily Liverpool for me. We lost that game because of our performance, to probably the team I would enjoy beating the most. The PSG result happened because of something completely out of our control. Can never get as upset when we were faultless. It’s less of an emotional feeling and more of just a “well, that’s just fucking shit isn’t it. We would have had a European night to rank amongst our best ever”

I think, over time, it will be remembered very fondly. "Remember that time we rocked up to Paris with a bare bones squad and beat their superstars until the refs cheated us?" It may also be one of the main catalysts for either VAR or handball law changes, so we can recall it 10 years from now in between arguing about whether the 2033 squad is deep enough to defend the treble.

The annoying part about 3rd place is those 2 extra games you have to play just to qualify for round of 16 in the Europa League.. There's 8 extra games if you get to the semi final, and a 9th one being the final (obviously being in the final would be sweet).

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Not even contemplating the Europa League, it might be out of our hands but think it’s a real 50/50 with the cheating French cunts, a lot in our favour going into the last game.

Aye, take care of our business and we'll be fine.

Dortmund don't lose many at home to teams not named Bayern Munich and they won't be pissing about when finishing 2nd likely means Man City, Barcelona or a Madrid team in the L16 as opposed to finishing top and getting an easy/easier one.

On 30/11/2023 at 19:32, timeEd32 said:

I think, over time, it will be remembered very fondly. "Remember that time we rocked up to Paris with a bare bones squad and beat their superstars until the refs cheated us?" It may also be one of the main catalysts for either VAR or handball law changes, so we can recall it 10 years from now in between arguing about whether the 2033 squad is deep enough to defend the treble.

Like you've said only if we go through if not then that games never being remembered fondly 😂

Milan with an away game at Atalanta on the Saturday (5pm).

PSG with yet another Saturday walkover v Nantes at the Parc des Princes (8pm). Donnarumma got sent off after 10 mins v Le Havre and they still won 2-0 away.

Dortmund in a tricky home game v Red Bull Leipzig (5:30).

And of course we get the hardest of the lot having played an away midweeker in a 4:30 Sunday v Spurs away. 

You can see why the PL clubs in Europe constantly gripe about their fixture planning when Sky rules the roost.

Just now, Nucasol said:

You can see why the PL clubs in Europe constantly gripe about their fixture planning when Sky rules the roost.

You can, but equally, it’s the Sky money that allows them/us to financially bully the majority of European teams.

Just now, SteV said:

You can, but equally, it’s the Sky money that allows them/us to financially bully the majority of European teams.

Agreed. Also the four extra games a season and a second cup are brutal to squeeze in but you wouldn’t change it. I think the harsh cup draws we’ve had have exacerbated the relentless schedule as there have been no winnable cup gimmes (home tie v League 2 team or European farmer league game).

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

Agreed. Also the four extra games a season and a second cup are brutal to squeeze in but you wouldn’t change it. I think the harsh cup draws we’ve had have exacerbated the relentless schedule as there have been no winnable cup gimmes (home tie v League 2 team or European farmer league game).

Great points here. 

Seems like our injury luck has cursed BVB as we need them to take points off of PSG. They got 4 players injured in a cup game yesterday. They have an injury crisis themselves at the moment, and Moukoko, Sabitzer, Wolf and Julian Ryerson all got injured yesterday.[emoji38]

7 minutes ago, RobS said:

how's Milan getting on atm form wise?

Indifferent. 

Few injuries. Main one being Leao. Not sure if he’ll be alright for Wednesday but he hasn’t played for a month.