Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

20 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Bet Eddie is buzzing to find out which teams he's going to be analysing!

Little nerd.

You’re assuming he hasn’t already started doing all of them…

Just had an email from the club saying UEFA have decided to have 1st dibs on my seat for the home games. The club will let me know around a week before games whether UEFA will be taking up their option to use my seat. If they don’t then I can sit in my seat and if they do the club will offer my somewhere else (refunding any money if the other seat is cheaper, doesn’t say what happens if it’s dearer). If I don’t like it I can just opt out of the ticket scheme, and not go to any of the games……….

Just now, Tsunami said:

Just had an email from the club saying UEFA have decided to have 1st dibs on my seat for the home games. The club will let me know around a week before games whether UEFA will be taking up their option to use my seat. If they don’t then I can sit in my seat and if they do the club will offer my somewhere else (refunding any money if the other seat is cheaper, doesn’t say what happens if it’s dearer). If I don’t like it I can just opt out of the ticket scheme, and not go to any of the games……….

Where's your seat?

Just now, Tsunami said:

Where do you sit?

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

What’s the location of your chair?

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Milburn Stand, near the 18 yard line Gallowgate End Row GG

Might be for the away dignitaries. Seem to remember they had a second away block in the Milburn for the posh lads and wives last time we were in Yewrup.

10 hours ago, Yorkie said:

'Champions League' is an outright nonsensical name and has been since 1999/00 when they started letting four teams from the same nation enter. Arguably since even before, when Runners-Up from certain nations got in (us being in the mix the first time that happened in 97/98).

Obviously there isn't a single reason to do it - besides pleasing me - but it would be a laugh if they randomly went back to the first (as in 92-93) format, just for a year. No seeding, one representative from 40 countries; a few two-leg knockout rounds until the final eight play are placed into two groups. The winners of each being in the final. 

Your proposal would win by a landslide among the over 40s (sorry if I’ve prematurely aged you).however I’ve just asked my son and his mate (13 and 14) and they’ve looked at me like I’ve suggested we ground share with the mackems at the SOL

16 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

Your proposal would win by a landslide among the over 40s (sorry if I’ve prematurely aged you).however I’ve just asked my son and his mate (13 and 14) and they’ve looked at me like I’ve suggested we ground share with the mackems at the SOL

Oh I fully understand that there's no place for such a thing in the modern game, of course there isn't; meanwhile the Conference League does a respectable job of providing a European platform for those types of teams anyway, so there's no need for anything like my daft proposal.

But despite the increasing gravitas of those competitions, I just grimace at the balance being ever tipped in the favour of a handful of leagues/clubs (five English clubs in the CL next season for goodness sake). It's just a fun thought experiment to imagine the carpet being pulled from under them as opposed to it being gushingly laid out.

Would love to see more done to increase the strength within those presently unfancied leagues, but admit that probably has to be built internally rather than relying only on the UEFA cup competitions. S'why I'm very pro the regionalisation idea (... which'll never happen).

Champions League should be a huge knockout tournament featuring every European champion as well as top 2 from decent leagues, top 3 from good leagues, top 4 from best leagues. Maybe can have a group stage after a couple of rounds if UEFA insists on playing a ridiculous number of games. I find it ridiculous that champions of fairly respectable leagues such as Denmark and Turkey have to go through 3 qualifying rounds at the moment, so just stick everyone in at Round 1. Don't care if Lincoln Red Imps v Real Madrid will be a mismatch, they allow similar fixtures in internationals.

39 minutes ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Champions League should be a huge knockout tournament featuring every European champion as well as top 2 from decent leagues, top 3 from good leagues, top 4 from best leagues. Maybe can have a group stage after a couple of rounds if UEFA insists on playing a ridiculous number of games. I find it ridiculous that champions of fairly respectable leagues such as Denmark and Turkey have to go through 3 qualifying rounds at the moment, so just stick everyone in at Round 1. Don't care if Lincoln Red Imps v Real Madrid will be a mismatch, they allow similar fixtures in internationals.

Also, no seeding. If Lincoln Red Imps get Jeunesse D'esch and Real Madrid get Man City in the first round then so be it.

Just keep it as is imo. This is coming from someone whose birth succeeds the introduction of three English clubs into the CL, mind.

But next year's format is fucking shite and I hope whoever thought of it is involved in a chip pan fire.

1 hour ago, Heron said:

UCL should be the winners of all European Leagues. In whatever format. Realistically. Wouldn't have as good games and as much TV subscribers though and money rules the roost.

They’d make it back through the UEFA Cup being absolutely fucking class though and not an undercard which it is currently albeit I love it.

Won’t happen like but I’d happily have top 2 CL and then a massively expanded UEFA Cup with straight knockout to cover.

I’m all for CL being every champion from Europe and UEFA Cup being something like 2-4 teams of the other European leagues and then I’m down with a conference league style for lower placed etc. 

super cup could be winner of uefa cup v conference league plays the champions league winner 

Edited by Kanji

With next year meaning no drop downs from Champions into the Europa League, and no drops downs from the Europa League to the Conference League, I’d like to see a better allocation.

I think the top leagues shouldn’t have a Conference League allocation, and it should be Europa League allocations, that way the smaller leagues effectively have the Conference League to themselves.

32 minutes ago, Stifler said:

With next year meaning no drop downs from Champions into the Europa League, and no drops downs from the Europa League to the Conference League, I’d like to see a better allocation.

I think the top leagues shouldn’t have a Conference League allocation, and it should be Europa League allocations, that way the smaller leagues effectively have the Conference League to themselves.

That greatly lessens the appeal of the conference league though. It's a pretty decent draw for smaller teams around Europe to get to play teams from the top leagues, and I'm assuming it's where the money comes from as well. The money is pittance for PL teams, but it's still really big money for Scandinavian teams and leagues of that size.

My only gripe with the Conference League is that they Toon away the chance to qualify for Europa League, other than the Champions failing to qualify for Champions League. Other than that (and the name, Tbf), it's been a really good addition. 

7 hours ago, OCOCOL said:

Get them educated ;) 

9 hours ago, patrone said:

@Whitley mag posted this in tickets thread

Does SJP still suffer from the 'giant European Cup pitchside advertising' that it used to all those years ago?  We had reduced capacity in the CL games as the first row or so of the East Stand, Leazes & Gallowgate had their view blocked by giant gaudy adverstisements

6 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Just keep it as is imo.

Boooo!

54 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Hiss!