Yankuba Minteh: joins Brighton & Hove Albion on a permanent deal (Official)

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Brighton aren’t idiots. 

Just brings home the reality of where we are as a club. A couple of years ago we would have wanted to be buying these sort of players before Brighton got them. At this point they are buying them off us.

For all the talk of he's unproven at the PL level I'm still hugely disappointed, just going off what I've seen of him in highlight clips. Miggy refusing to budge in January has come back to bite us, and I'm sorry, but it will make me a lot less forgiving if he's still here next season cutting back and going backwards when he's been put through behind the defence.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

NB re forced sales due to PSR - Minteh was bought with PSR in mind.  For all the talk about being ‘forced’ into this due to PSR - without PSR I doubt that PIF would’ve been wanting the Mintehs of the world in the first place.  They would have been buying experienced names.  

Any sensible club would want to sign players for cheap that could go onto be first team players. Brighton and the others are signing him because they think he’s the Potential to be a £60m winger. Thats the level of player we want to sign.  

Thats what Real Madrid do with Fede Valverde, Vinicius, Rodrygo, Odegaard.  Thats Martinelli, Harvey Elliott, Garnacho etc. some won’t make the grade, some will need to be sold to fund other purchases but it’s perfectly sane squad building. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Any sensible club would want to sign players for cheap that could go onto be first team players. Brighton and the others are signing him because they think he’s the Potential to be a £60m winger. Thats the level of player we want to sign.  

Thats what Real Madrid do with Fede Valverde, Vinicius, Rodrygo, Odegaard.  Thats Martinelli, Harvey Elliott, Garnacho etc. some won’t make the grade, some will need to be sold to fund other purchases but it’s perfectly sane squad building. 

Yep. I don't doubt it's good business from a PSR angle, but I still have a hunch he'll go on to be worth a lot more. Let's hope not though.

16 minutes ago, TRon said:

Just brings home the reality of where we are as a club. A couple of years ago we would have wanted to be buying these sort of players before Brighton got them. At this point they are buying them off us.

For all the talk of he's unproven at the PL level I'm still hugely disappointed, just going off what I've seen of him in highlight clips. Miggy refusing to budge in January has come back to bite us, and I'm sorry, but it will make me a lot less forgiving if he's still here next season cutting back and going backwards when he's been put through behind the defence.

There's perhaps another way to think about it though:

You have to be an extremely good player to play at top four level, which is where we want to be, and why it's so hard for young players to come through at very top clubs. Very top teams don't want to use one of their starting 11 spots developing a raw youngster. There's too much at stake for that.

So the biggest clubs get these raw youngsters, maybe send them out on loan for a year or two and then sell them on for a profit to a midtable/bottom half team. That gives them the funds to buy someone who's (hopefully) ready to perform at the top level immediately.

The midtable team do the final bit of development, getting them experience at that level. Taking that bit of risk that they may or may not develop as hoped. The overall level isn't as high so having a player who's a bit raw isn't as much of a problem.

The player may then develop to the level where they are ready to be one of those immediate play at the highest level players, or they may not.

So maybe the fact we're the ones selling to the midtable club and not looking to play a raw youngster could be seen as a good sign.

2 minutes ago, Checko said:

There's perhaps another way to think about it though:

You have to be an extremely good player to play at top four level, which is where we want to be, and why it's so hard for young players to come through at very top clubs. Very top teams don't want to use one of their starting 11 spots developing a raw youngster. There's too much at stake for that.

So the biggest clubs get these raw youngsters, maybe send them out on loan for a year or two and then sell them on for a profit to a midtable/bottom half team. That gives them the funds to buy someone who's (hopefully) ready to perform at the top level immediately.

The midtable team do the final bit of development, getting them experience at that level. Taking that bit of risk that they may or may not develop as hoped. The overall level isn't as high so having a player who's a bit raw isn't as much of a problem.

The player may then develop to the level where they are ready to be one of those immediate play at the highest level players, or they may not.

So maybe the fact we're the ones selling to the midtable club and not looking to play a raw youngster could be seen as a good sign.

Yep, that's fair enough. If we do go on to sign a proven RW of genuine class, and this sale is what enables it to go through, then can't complain. But that does make RW an absolute priority now IMO.

36 minutes ago, TRon said:

Or worse diving in the last minute against Brighton, instead of going clean through on goal, potentially costing us Europe.

16 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yep, that's fair enough. If we do go on to sign a proven RW of genuine class, and this sale is what enables it to go through, then can't complain. But that does make RW an absolute priority now IMO.

Definitely agree on that.

Top class RW and Schar's long-term replacement should be the priorities this window.

While Brighton are really a data driven club with a very good transfer model, they are a club in transition from the manager position…and their sales haven’t gone on to be absolute world beaters at this point. Which I assume would cause some pause on the flip for a buying club.

Caciedo been up to? How about Bissouma? 

I hope Minteh goes on and does something great for his career. Literally an asset profited off of - and while I was really excited about his energy and potential, I care more about keeping the top end gems of the club than this lad. 

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

How do you replace Schar? How does one even go about that?

You don’t ever replace Fab, just a new young mobile CB who’s decent on the ball is the hope. I think the idea would be Botman continues to develop his ball playing ability and Lewis Hall’s ball playing replaces Trippier’s at some point. The right sided DEF of Trippier and Schars ball playing will eventually be moved to left sided DEF with Botman and Hall..and the right side will be the ball carriers with Tino and the Fab replacement?

Edited by Kanji

5 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

How do you replace Schar? How does one even go about that?

I dunno, call round some modelling agencies and see if they've got anyone who can play football?

I do think RW is by far highest priority this year. I would quite like us to not be in FFP trouble as well though, so happy to be more conservative and defer buying a CB till next year, unless we find someone we really like. Schar is still quality.

Edited by Checko

Replacing Schar might be the one I dread the most. He’s not our most important player but he is our most important defender and there aren’t that many CBs that have his distribution coupled with his ability to drive forward. Let’s hope Miodrag comes through 

If this guy ends up scoring the goal(s) to give Brighton 3 points against us this season, effectively nullifying the points deduction we were facing, I'm going to unleash kaka levels of pettiness upon everyone who is cheering this sale on as free money, a great deal because he hasn't played for us etc. :lol:

Thought I'd wake up a bit less annoyed over this, but nah, still think this is a catastrophic decision by the club.

7 minutes ago, Conjo said:

If this guy ends up scoring the goal(s) to give Brighton 3 points against us this season, effectively nullifying the points deduction we were facing, I'm going to unleash kaka levels of pettiness upon everyone who is cheering this sale on as free money, a great deal because he hasn't played for us etc. :lol:

Thought I'd wake up a bit less annoyed over this, but nah, still think this is a catastrophic decision by the club.

It is very frustrating but it’s surely better than a probable points deduction. These ridiculous rules have backed us into a corner. 

9 minutes ago, Conjo said:

And you'd be well within your rights to do just that. I certainly won't be crying about it!

When it's all said and done I think we'll be right there pushing for Champions League again, having added some really good players this summer.

Good luck to Yankuba Minteh.

34 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Replacing Schar might be the one I dread the most. He’s not our most important player but he is our most important defender and there aren’t that many CBs that have his distribution coupled with his ability to drive forward. Let’s hope Miodrag comes through 

And his consistency - his performances rarely drop and he barely misses a game. 

21 minutes ago, Conjo said:

And what if he's absolutely shite?

In all seriousness, regardless of how good or bad Minteh turns out to be, the important thing is how we're using the money we generate. I'd swap Minteh for another Hall or Livramento any day of the week (and maybe that's ultimately what he paid for).

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

And what if he's absolutely shite?

In all seriousness, regardless of how good or bad Minteh turns out to be, the important thing is how we're using the money we generate. I'd swap Minteh for another Hall or Livramento any day of the week.

Not if he turns out to be another Salah you wouldn't. :lol:

I mean it's all just guesswork one way or another, but if Brighton want him I reckon there's a player there. But £33m is a very good fee, if we can spend it on the right player, that's all we can ask for.

The way people are going about Minteh, you'd think he was the second coming of Messi, and not someone who has had a half decent season in a Championship level league :lol: 

29 minutes ago, Conjo said:

But he might scare the winning goal against our rivals nullifying the goal he scores against us 

1 minute ago, The Fountain said:

But he might scare the winning goal against our rivals nullifying the goal he scores against us 

But then Brighton will fight us for the CL positions - there is no winning!

5 minutes ago, 54 said:

The way people are going about Minteh, you'd think he was the second coming of Messi, and not someone who has had a half decent season in a Championship level league :lol: 

Maybe you’re wrong about the level of the league and the potential of the player if a number of PL clubs and foreign CL level clubs were vying for his signature at a significant fee..? Time will tell how well he does, we seemingly needed rid due to psr and we’ve sold at a good fee/profit, but let’s not pretend we’d not be stoked if instead of selling a 33m rated 19 year old right wing wonderkid that the likes of Brighton and Dortmund were after, we’d be buying one.

I'm pretty ambivalent about it to be honest. Obviously in an ideal world (no PSR) we wouldn't sell in case he develops into a real gem. Unfortunately that's not the reality, so we had to make a tough choice.

He may well end up being an excellent player, but he could just as easily go the other way. Time will tell, but I think either way it was probably the right decision on balance for the situation we found ourselves in