Yankuba Minteh

Just now, KaKa said:

I understand man, but can we really operate by this premise?

Also we really need to aim for someone that we anticipate being very good on that right side, and not just better than Miggy, which might still not mean they're good enough.

Even on that left hand side, i think part of the reason we went for Barnes, was because although the club rated Gordon, there wasn't any certainty his progress would be so rapid, and so Barnes was a more guaranteed performer output wise. I think Gordon was more of an upside purchase. With Barnes injury early on and Gordon's breakthrough season it worked out differently though. 

It’s just frustrating that we are going to seemingly sell a really highly rated youngster whilst still having Miggy and Murphy. ( I know no one wants to buy them before @Gawalls mentions it).

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

People would take them, just not at a fee we would deem acceptable imo.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

I reckon we'll receive fees for both before the window shuts. Our concerns may be a bit more immediate though.

Funny, I've just made both these two points.

1. We will get bids before the window shuts.

2. The fees will be lower than what we currently want.

I wonder if we're a little behind the times as a fan base? Are we not focusing too much on developing young players with a view to them becoming 1st team players rather than a way to generate income and get around FFP which is equally important to the club? We will make a significant profit on Minteh which is what we want. With this model, we have to accept that some players will move on and become great players; just part of our model as to generate high fees there has to be a "risk" of our young players becoming stars of the future. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

It’s just frustrating that we are going to seemingly sell a really highly rated youngster whilst still having Miggy and Murphy. ( I know no one wants to buy them before @Gawalls mentions it).

It's certainly frustrating but at least every other club is in the same boat.

I think eventually things are going to be changed too, because it's not a great environment for young players to be moved around like this as pure profit pawns.

1 minute ago, macphisto said:

I wonder if we're a little behind the times as a fan base? Are we not focusing too much on developing young players with a view to them becoming 1st team players rather than a way to generate income and get around FFP which is equally important to the club? We will make a significant profit on Minteh which is what we want. With this model, we have to accept that some players will move on and become great players; just part of our model as to generate high fees there has to be a "risk" of our young players becoming stars of the future. 

Yeah, we're only now being run as a normal outfit and so we're still new to this sort of thing.

6 hours ago, gdm said:

Coz it will sting having him on our books and he ends up brilliant. 

We should in years to come have many more come through. Guy has had one good season in a very weak league. More chance he’s just your average player long term then some superstar talent that won’t come again this decade.

Just now, Sibierski said:

We should in years to come have many more come through. Guy has had one good season in a very weak league. More chance he’s just your average player long term than some superstar talent that won’t come again this decade.

It’s complete guesswork on either side of argument but as it stands he’s shown he has real ability be it one season in the Dutch league or not 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

It’s complete guesswork on either side of argument but as it stands he’s shown he has real ability be it one season in the Dutch league or not 

A real talent that’s not attainable elsewhere in the future? 

We clearly bought him for a reason - I know we may need £££ but I would hope we would be trying to sell other players first.  If he is sold - Almiron will not be going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, duo said:

We clearly bought him for a reason - I know we may need £££ but I would hope we would be trying to sell other players first.  If he is sold - Almiron will not be going anywhere.

Chances are we've exhausted other options. 

19 minutes ago, STM said:

I think noone wants a Longstaff or Almiron that we are trying to sell right now, likely because they know that we after extra coin.

I reckon there would be plenty of takers, if the price was right. 

The issue is that nobody wants to pay north of 20m for either player and rightly so, you might get someone younger who might improve for that price. Anything less than 20m and Howe will see it as not worth selling, mainly because then he has to replace them and therefore we are in a stalemate. 

I know some would flog them for peanuts but it's not smart business.

What I suspect will happen, is that we will get lower offers, after we've done our main business and that will force us to really think about whether we'd rather have the money and take the risk.

Personally, if we get anything north of 15m for either, we might have to take it, even if it leaves us short. 

Who would pay 15m for Longstaff? Anyone who wants to stay in the PL and needs "solid". 

Leicester may be a good shout for that, they’re already getting deducted so why not think fuck it

Edited by Gawalls

8 minutes ago, duo said:

Why’s that? Almiron is 30 ands only has a year left - I think if we get an offer it’s getting accepted.

21 minutes ago, STM said:

I think noone wants a Longstaff or Almiron that we are trying to sell right now, likely because they know that we after extra coin.

I reckon there would be plenty of takers, if the price was right. 

The issue is that nobody wants to pay north of 20m for either player and rightly so, you might get someone younger who might improve for that price. Anything less than 20m and Howe will see it as not worth selling, mainly because then he has to replace them and therefore we are in a stalemate. 

I know some would flog them for peanuts but it's not smart business.

What I suspect will happen, is that we will get lower offers, after we've done our main business and that will force us to really think about whether we'd rather have the money and take the risk.

Personally, if we get anything north of 15m for either, we might have to take it, even if it leaves us short. 

Who would pay 15m for Longstaff? Anyone who wants to stay in the PL and needs "solid". 

If the price is right I am pretty sure we would sell either of those before sacrificing Minteh. No one will pay north of £20m for either for a quite simple reason - they aren't worth it. Howe might value their loyalty and love for Newcastle, and that's worth something, but when you reach a certain level, the only way to improve is to replace them with better players.

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

It'll be truly awful if we sell him and see him winning champions leagues with Man City

This mans career prospects are escalating at an astonishing rate! :lol:

I don't think we could ever out do Chelsea though so I think we'll be okay.

They could have legit had Salah, DeBruyne and Lukaku come through together and play together the last 10 years.

3 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

It'll be truly awful if we sell him and see him winning champions leagues with Man City

Even if he stayed for us and turned out to be great - if Man City wanted him they’d get him.

Just now, KaKa said:

This mans career prospects are escalating at an astonishing rate! :lol:

I don't think we could ever out do Chelsea though so I think we'll be okay.

They could have legit had Salah, DeBruyne and Lukaku come through together and play together the last 10 years.

It’d be annoying as fuck if we sold him and he becomes the first person to walk on Mars- that’ll sting.

I'd rather take my chances with the points deduction than sell anyone of his potential. 

It's one season, it's a few pts. This lad could be a decades worth of talent. So short sighted by the club, especially since psr is on its arse and will be gone next season. 

Everything about it (apart from meeting regs) seems a strange deal from us. As much as I don’t want to lose Minteh, I have full faith they are making the correct decision in helping us move forward.

2 minutes ago, ryanegg said:

Everything about it (apart from meeting regs) seems a strange deal from us. As much as I don’t want to lose Minteh, I have full faith they are making the correct decision in helping us move forward.

You’re saying you trust the experienced experts who have all the information in their hands?

You’re opinion won’t fit in here 

1 minute ago, ryanegg said:

They obviously have much more far reaching vision than me, because from here it just looks like we are selling because other clubs rate him, and they don't rate the likes of Longstaff, Miggy or Murphy.

Maybe this is part of a long term success strategy, but in the short term it just feels like we can't sell players who aren't good enough and are forced to sell better prospects instead.