Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

1 minute ago, tarie4 said:

This is like City selling Phil Foden at 19. Minteh is meant to be good enough for where we want to be in a couple years. It’s not like selling James Trafford who would be on the bench for as long as Ederson is around. 

At 19, during the 2019/20 season, Foden participated in 38 games across all competitions, contributing 8 goals and 9 assists. The team finished as the second-place league finishers and went on to win the league the following year and have maintained their success since. While it may be challenging to make direct comparisons between players in different contexts, it is worth considering whether Yankuba could potentially surpass Almiron in the team's pecking order during the upcoming season. 

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

Unbelievable 🤣

1 minute ago, Superior Acuña said:

The lad will never have to buy himself a pint in Newcastle. Hope he gets some reception when he comes home to SJP. 

He might be able to parade his ballon dor to the crowd that day too. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Anyway, it’s the real transfer window tomorrow, we can start bickering about incomings instead. 

Sometimes it really feels like Mike Ashley is still in charge with the amount of discontent and complaining on here. 

Truly boggles the mind.

10 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

For £33m, I wonder if that's low enough to expect a sell-on clause. It's a shame and one completely brought about by an unfair, rigging of the system, but I guess it's for a player who we've never had play for us, so hopefully we'll never miss what we've never had. Still a bag of wank that we had to sell him though.

Low? £33m for a player with 17 starts in the Dutch league is pretty high I'd say.

If it was Brighton selling a player for 5x what they paid for him people would be saying it's cracking business and how well run they are. When it's Newcastle suddenly 'questions need to be asked' and the club don't know what they're doing. 

5 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Yeah I was getting my wires crossed. Reading this thread is dizzying. :lol: 

Tell me about it - I can’t believe we’ve sold a 19 year old winger whose got a years experience in Holland whose also home grown just because he sat on the bench as a third choice keeper.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Tell me about it - I can’t believe we’ve sold a 19 year old winger whose got a years experience in Holland whose also home grown just because he sat on the bench as a third choice keeper.

[emoji38]

33 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

He did not. He compared it to a hypothetical situation of City selling Foden and perhaps later regretting it.

Seriously guys, can yous not read..? 

So he compared this situation to city selling Foden, that's a comparison like.

I don't even know what people are arguing about at this point tbh :lol:

9 minutes ago, 54 said:

So he compared this situation to city selling Foden, that's a comparison like.

I don't even know what people are arguing about at this point tbh :lol:

It's ridiculous, man. He wouldn't have started ahead of Almiron this season anyway. The kid has potential, sure, but we're making a 25 million profit on a player who's unproven and has never played for us. And let's be real, it's not like the Ashley years where the money won't be reinvested. With the current ownership and management, we know the money will be put back into the team.

37 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

This is like City selling Phil Foden at 19. Minteh is meant to be good enough for where we want to be in a couple years. It’s not like selling James Trafford who would be on the bench for as long as Ederson is around. 

At 19, during the 2019/20 season, Foden participated in 38 games across all competitions, contributing 8 goals and 9 assists. The team finished as the second-place league finishers and went on to win the league the following year and have maintained their success since. While it may be challenging to make direct comparisons between players in different contexts, it is worth considering whether Yankuba could potentially surpass Almiron in the team's pecking order during the upcoming season. 

So as I said, he did not compare Minteh and Foden as players, but a hypothetical situation where City has sold Foden before he reached his full potential…

39 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

Could also compare it to if Man City had decided to sell Patrick Roberts for good money when his stock was high after a successful loan at Celtic, (similar level to Eredivisie and good stats) rather than continue to loan him out before him winding up at Sunderland on a free. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

55 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I fully agree, but fail to see the relevance. I believe selling Minteh for 33m was the right thing to do all things considered. That’s not to say I don’t think he can develop into a player we may look back regretting to have had to sell.

I really don't know what's so hard to grasp about this. We've sold him because PSR forced us to, not because we wanted to as a club. Given the choice I think we would have waited until later in the summer and moved on Almiron or Wilson first, or Longstaff for that matter. In the end we had to sell reluctantly IMO because we ran out of time.

Don't see why we should be jumping for joy over it, from what I saw of him, I'd much rather have had him at the club than Miggy next season.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I really don't know what's so hard to grasp about this. We've sold him because PSR forced us to, not because we wanted to as a club. Given the choice I think we would have waited until later in the summer and moved on Almiron or Wilson first, or Longstaff for that matter. In the end we had to sell reluctantly IMO because we ran out of time.

Don't see why we should be jumping for joy over it, from what I saw of him, I'd much rather have had him at the club than Miggy next season.

Bang on

15 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

So as I said, he did not compare Minteh and Foden as players, but a hypothetical situation where City has sold Foden before he reached his full potential…

Surely you can see the difference between a "wonderkid" developing at a top club, full of top class players under a world class manager with world class facilities and coaches and one that's aiming to be that profile in about 5-10 years time?

We need to establish that base before we have the luxury of doing that and that means that unfortunately, at this moment in time we can't afford to have raw talent using a vital position as a springboard for his development.  

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

First paragraph is bang on.

Second paragraph, noone expects jumping for joy... its persistent whinging that is annoying and over exaggerating someone's talent/potential talent.

Mind, I think we all agree this debate has been done to death... dug up.... then done to death a couple more times.😂

I know I might be the minority, but from the clips I saw, I think Minteh has world class potential. He has the tools required to start for any team in the future, he just need playing time to iron it out.

We have no choice, but I really wish we could insert a clause, even if it’s something like 70m.