Yankuba Minteh: joins Brighton & Hove Albion on a permanent deal (Official)

Take the points deduction. Miss out on Europe because of it.

A forum inquest will be held, questioning where the season went wrong and why it rests on our inability to take points off Man City and Arsenal who dropped a combined 6 points over the course of the season.

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

We paid a lot of money for a player whose value is unlikely to increase, in a position we were well stacked in. 

At the time it seemed a luxury transfer. If he was a RW people wouldn’t be complaining. We spent 40m on a LW in Jan, then another 40m for another LW in the summer. Joe’s also impressing at LW. 0 RWs. Except a wee lad, who excelled out on loan.  He’ll never play for us though - in part because we bought a backup LW who is 4 years older than the first choice. 

Between the fee, wages, sign on fee, agent fees , bonuses. Barnes squad cost likely to be 12-15m - that’s a lot of the PSR gap.  

Similalry with Tonali - why so expensive?

It does make you question the transfer activities.  Should we have cashed in on Trippier and Wilson in the winter? Lots of questions.  

Had we had European football in 2024 and qualified for Europa - we might not have been in this position. So there a lot of moving parts.  Nothing perfect. Nothing disastrous. Although this transfer is gutting.  

1) We weren't stacked at left wing. We'd just sold ASM, Gordon hadn't nailed down a position in the starting eleven and the other lads who play there are CMs by trade.

2) From a PSR perspective, "trading" ASM for Barnes was a short term gain, at least for this set of accounts.

3) CM was an absolute priority last summer. On this point it feels like the club are damned if they do and damned if they don't, see the Marmadashvili v Trafford debate.

4) It's an interesting conversation. January saw us try to shift Miggy and Wilson over the backdrop of a squad decimated by injury.  Perhaps it skewed our thinking? Maybe it was always the plan to flip Minteh? We can only speculate. Villa, a well ran club have also got themselves into a similar position. We're both pushing PSR to the absolute limit to improve our squads.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

If the club are facing breaching FFP and Minteh is the player attracting interest then he has to be sold. However, it is understandable people not being happy about it.

We are not selling him because we don’t think he has ability, we are selling him because the club has been poorly managed financially and we could be looking at a points deduction if we don’t.

Wouldn’t say it’s poorly managed financially, unless you accept we went with a gamble that didn’t work.

I do believe our financial projections would’ve been based on playing European football till April, whether that was UCL or Europa, and going out was a big blow to this. Then to help with next years, gambled with not selling in January to try and get Europe. 

7 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Wouldn’t say it’s poorly managed financially, unless you accept we went with a gamble that didn’t work.

I do believe our financial projections would’ve been based on playing European football till April, whether that was UCL or Europa, and going out was a big blow to this. Then to help with next years, gambled with not selling in January to try and get Europe. 

I am fully on board with gambling on success at the beginning of the season, you do need an exit strategy if that gamble doesn’t pay off though.

52 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Howe would rather play Murphy or Almiron at RW than Gordon. Your point is moot.  

So, despite playing Gordon on the right when he first came, hus playing as much on the right as left at Everton, buying Barnes as well, having Joelinton and Anderson, you say Gordon would have only been played on the left had those two not been injured ?

Righto O0

5 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

If we sell Minteh for £30m, that'll be around £25m "profit". You reckon we're getting £25m for any of those three?

Wait and see what we do.

Everyone is just assuming things right now,

Forest paid high for Wood, Anderson is a bright prospect with potential sell on value after for them, if they profit on a big sale for MGW then Anderson could fill that void short or long term. 

I think everyone has got their knickers in a twist over Minteh, all because of this deadline approaching, and because the media have pushed that particular player as the sellable one, it could be anything or anyone, Newcastle of the past few years have surprised us with buying and selling, the media just push what they want, and most of us buy into everything they're saying.

Let's see what happens, I'd still love to see Minteh tested with us, and a player like Anderson, Miley, or Longstaff moved on. 

Good goal scoring wingers are tougher to find than your average midfield player.

Edited by mighty__mag

7 hours ago, The Prophet said:

1) We weren't stacked at left wing. We'd just sold ASM, Gordon hadn't nailed down a position in the starting eleven and the other lads who play there are CMs by trade.

2) From a PSR perspective, "trading" ASM for Barnes was a short term gain, at least for this set of accounts.

3) CM was an absolute priority last summer. On this point it feels like the club are damned if they do and damned if they don't, see the Marmadashvili v Trafford debate.

4) It's an interesting conversation. January saw us try to shift Miggy and Wilson over the backdrop of a squad decimated by injury.  Perhaps it skewed our thinking? Maybe it was always the plan to flip Minteh? We can only speculate. Villa, a well ran club have also got themselves into a similar position. We're both pushing PSR to the absolute limit to improve our squads.

We needed a RW more than we needed a LW. Lots of us said that at the time. 

ASM barely played yet we spent £40m for his replacement to sit on the bench. That doesn’t make sense. 

From a PSR and footballing perspective. Committing £60m for Barnes over the next 5 years was a bad idea considering we don’t have a viable RW option. 

We needed a CM. We didn’t need to spend £50m on a CM though.  

Ultimately the ends justify the means. If we managed to finish 4th and got to the CL QF we wouldn’t need to sell and we would say spending so much on the squad got us there. That didn’t happen. And with the transfers we made imo that was unlikely.  So you have to say that was a misjudgment and poor decision making.  the decision making in January seems to be even worse.  Someone needed to go. 

21 minutes ago, Holloway said:

It was a reply from a doom monger poster earlier 

Me presumably? 

That was based on Everton's second deduction, the justification of which was published. 2pts for the breach, +3pts for a "substantial breach" of £16m. If we really are £30m over then is there not logic in what I suggested that 5-7pts is possible? 

1 minute ago, Keegans Export said:

Me presumably? 

That was based on Everton's second deduction, the justification of which was published. 2pts for the breach, +3pts for a "substantial breach" of £16m. If we really are £30m over then is there not logic in what I suggested that 5-7pts is possible? 

Lets wait and see shall we, it"s fucking exhausting this , before we board for Japan

7 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Me presumably? 

Everton were charged for breaching it in 2021/22 season then charges again for ignoring this and overspending again in the next season as well.  It was two separate charges.

Even if it was 10 points I’d prefer to keep Gordon personally.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

We will have the same problem next season if we finish 7th, and with 10 points behind from the start Europe is out of reach. Isak, Bruno and Gordon wont stay for another season with no Europe.

23 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

ASM barely played yet we spent £40m for his replacement to sit on the bench. That doesn’t make sense. 

From a PSR and footballing perspective. Committing £60m for Barnes over the next 5 years was a bad idea considering we don’t have a viable RW option. 

Ultimately the ends justify the means. If we managed to finish 4th and got to the CL QF we wouldn’t need to sell and we would say spending so much on the squad got us there. That didn’t happen. And with the transfers we made imo that was unlikely.  So you have to say that was a misjudgment and poor decision making.  the decision making in January seems to be even worse.  Someone needed to go. 

The mistake is to give the power to make the market to Howe. He is a great coach but a terrible manger. He knows only PL players and want PL players. Barnes was very expensive and totally unnecessary. And also Tonali: you needed a physical defensive midfielder, not Tonali. I wrote this already last year... And now he wants Calvert Lewin: another inflated signing. The club should make the market, never the coach. 

7 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

We will have the same problem next season if we finish 7th, and with 10 points behind from the start Europe is out of reach. Isak, Bruno and Gordon wont stay for another season with no Europe.

Then we get at least £200m for them - not ideal but we’ll survive.

Just now, jigen said:

The mistake is to give the power to make the market to Howe. He is a great coach but a terrible manger. He knows only PL players and want PL players. Barnes was very expensive and totally unnecessary. And also Tonali: you needed a physical defensive midfielder, not Tonali. I wrote this already last year... And now he wants Calvert Lewin: another inflated signing. The club should make the market, never the coach. 

So you’ve just ignored the signing of non prem players Bruno, isak and botman in that story. None of us have seen enough of Tonali yet so don’t close the score on him just yet.

I’ve read in a few places that he’s looked amazing on the training ground and is raring to go.

35 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I always got the impression we pushed our boat out for Barnes because Howe really likes him. He wasn't an investment signing like Livramento, Minteh or Hall, we went for him because he would make an immediate difference. In the end because he got injured along with other key members of the squad, he didn't have enough impact and the gamble failed if you look at it from the investment view. Now it seems we are having to sacrifice other players to pay for it.

16 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

We’ve spent £80m+ at LW.  £8m at RW and we’re selling him for 3/4x.  That doesn’t smell right. 

We spent money on LW as the two options were outcast (Fraser) and the one sellable, disposable player who'd allow money to be spent elsewhere (Maxi).

If Murphy and Miggy had upset Howe, and been able to fetch £25-30m, I dare say we'd have spent similar on the right.

Easy to forget how good Miggy was 22/23 and Murphy hasn't let us down either.

23 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Everton were charged for breaching it in 2021/22 season then charges again for ignoring this and overspending again in the next season as well.  It was two separate charges.

Yes they were charged twice and it's the second one I'm talking about.

They were given 2pts for going over the limit, plus 3pts for it being £16m over. It got reduced because 1. They had already had points deducted 2. It was partly down to Usmanov being sanctioned