Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

26 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's plausible that Milan did know, nobody knows. My point is that every transfer of a top player away from a club could be subject to 'why would they sell him', but they do time and time again. 

My point is we need to be smarter about it in future.

It’s hard to imagine any sort of commercial contract where one party’s non-disclosure of an ongoing criminal investigation would not be grounds for some sort of remedy, but the sports world is nuts so who knows.

Most likely outcome is that we raise a stink with Milan and it gets settled out of court imo.

4 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

The issue with that is what other pressure do you put on? If you stand to win £500K do you offer a ref or an opposing player £250K to throw the game?

I agree in principle but see why they would just ban it full stop.

Of course, I’m not saying it should be allowed, far from it. To allow it would be asking for trouble, exactly like you describe.

But, if we’re ranking degrees of offence, clearly betting on your own team to win, would appear to be a lesser offence than on them to lose, which there would probably be no coming back from at any club.

34 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Investigations like this don't just come about overnight. The Italian authorities have allowed Milan to sell him for a huge fee right before going ahead with this. The timing stinks and Milan will be laughing all the way to the bank, as well as whoever's getting the kickbacks. We've been had.

Not sure what the club can do about it.

Italian authorities may well be open to being sued if the investigation was ongoing prior to the sale of the player, and they were aware he was one of the components, where does leave Italian soccer bearing in mind upto 40 were mentioned by the plea bargainer I believe.

21 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

If he has been betting on his own team even if it’s to win then 12 months is a ridiculously short ban. 

Why is it? What's he actually done that's so despicably wrong? If it's proven that he's actually unlawfully intervened in the natural course of sporting competition then yes, of course, that would be deplorable; you could argue that anyone doing that should be banned for life, let alone a year, two years, three years. I presume that the law exists to prevent precisely that type of maleficence... but I don't see how chucking Milan on his acca, as you or I would, is jeopardising the sport's integrity. Match fixing is one thing, gambling on your own team's result is another. 

I'm not saying he shouldn't get a ban, just that the level of punishment is incredibly severe given the 'crime'. Particularly with the addition of not being allowed to train.

13 minutes ago, Deuce said:

”okay, I did bet on Milan games while I played for the club, but I ONLY bet on us to win” does seem a bit convenient.

Considering the story has changed multiple times in the past two days, probably best to wait and see before casting judgment.

Does seem escalate with every iteration. Tomorrow it will be "Yes, I threw some matches but no important ones" culminating in "OK OK I threw Champions League matches too".

22 minutes ago, Memphis said:

I see people saying this but it's simply not the case. Any athlete betting on themselves or their team to win sends a message to the rest of the gambling world - and an even bigger message when they don't bet on their team to win. It becomes clear within bookmaking circles how Tonali feels about his team's chances based on how much - or if - he bets. 

And obviously he has access to all sorts of proprietary information, it's inexcusably daft to do. I sympathise with his addiction issues and I hope he gets help. But he will be and should be punished severely. 

Good points. 

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

hard not to read any of this post in David Brent’s voice mind. 

:lol:

The point was, it might be an "illness" but what he's done is illegal. Otherwise we could just get him help and leave it at that.

I recognise the broader factors potentially present here, such as genuine addiction. Yet I can’t help as a fan to feel absolutely furious at him for the entire thing. He’s really let down the team and wider club. 

If he’s banned for 12 months, I’d be surprised if he’ll even play for Newcastle again. 

23 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You didn't think it made sense before? 

It was generally regarded as one of the most surprising deals of the summer. Boyhood fan, never wanted to leave Milan, etc.

There was a very plausible explanation with a big fee for Milan + big wages for him + new challenge, etc. Not ruling that out, but this certainly provides another reason.