Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Milan definitely knew and that information should have been shared with the club to then decide whether or not to go ahead with the transfer. 
bottom line is with the potential of him missing out for the rest of the season and so on, that we’ve been ripped off and they need to be held accountable. An investigation does need to take place and they owe us compensation. And anyone whose got his name on back *cough *cough* 

2 minutes ago, oldtype said:

Like I've said previously, if he bet on his own team then that's inexcusable and he needs to be let go. I'm all for supporting our players but there is a line.

Do you think Brentford should have sacked Toney?

18 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Complete bollocks, unsure as to why you're pretending, don't care any more.

Wtf are you fretting about? Due diligence will have been done but how the fuck do you expect the club to uncover hidden illegal activity or, if they knew, AC Milan indulging in fraud? 

Phone tapping, wire tapping is literally the only way. 

Just now, Harry 209 said:

I bet Eddie is absolutely dreading tomorrows press conference 

If there’s no statement from the FIGC he’ll just say the matter is ongoing and he’s rather not comment on it. 

If he’s banned he’ll just say that’s a matter for the club to deal with and support their player with but that he will continue to concentrate on the games and the squad he has to work with. 

2 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

Milan definitely knew and that information should have been shared with the club to then decide whether or not to go ahead with the transfer. 
bottom line is with the potential of him missing out for the rest of the season and so on, that we’ve been ripped off and they need to be held accountable. An investigation does need to take place and they owe us compensation. And anyone whose got his name on back *cough *cough* 

I'm inclined to agree. With the 1st bit anyways. 

Absolutely no way they and, for that matter, him weren't tipped off. 

Proving it, tho, is varnigh impossible unless the WhatsApp group coughs up

Just now, oldtype said:

Did he bet on Brentford games? Then yes, and his ban should be substantially longer.

Yes, although (like what appears to have been alleged about Tonali) he wasn’t playing in any of the games he did so.

8 minutes ago, Adam P said:

With all due respect, i dont think they are the same thing at all. Transfers happen when the venn diagrams overlap. Proposing that Milan's motivations to sell Tonali dont add up, that their awareness of Tonali's involvement in betting through the Fagioli case and the supposition that Milan could therefore have been informally aware of a preliminary investigation before the summer does not in any way overlap with our ability to persuade someone of his stature to come. My point is merely that it is perfectly plausible that Milan did know. I have seen quite a few people dismiss this and it strikes me as utterly baffling that this would be considered implausible. If someone tells me that the FIGC were investigating Fagioli before the summer then i'd put money on it. 

It's more than likely they did know, but knowing it and proving it are two different things. While the Italian league might be intent on stamping illegal betting out over there, they won't give two fucks about us.

33 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Does anyone know if Ivan Toney betted on teams he played for at the time he played for them?

I cant lie, I find it moraly wrong if Tonali is guilty of betting on Milan while playing for them, it's basically match fixing.

He's admitted to addiction, but, you can be addicted to gambling without betting on your own team, gambling is the addiction, not influencing the outcome?

He bet on Newcastle to lose when he was out on loan (good bet tbf), and his teams to lose when he was unavailable IIRC. He also bet on himself to score and his teams to win. 

Just now, SteV said:

Yes, although (like what appears to have been alleged about Tonali) he wasn’t playing in any of the games he did so.

It doesn't really matter in my view. He will know loads of non-public information about the team, and he has ways of influencing the outcome even without playing.

Just now, oldtype said:

It doesn't really matter in my view. He will know loads of non-public information about the team, and he has ways of influencing the outcome even without playing.

He was betting on them to win I believe

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Aye mate I’ve been thinking about your lucky escape for the last few days now

I feel like I took a gamble when I spent money with Dhgate. Little did I know just how big a gamble it was. I now feel dirty and need a hot bath. 

17 minutes ago, thomas said:

Wonder if this debacle prompts betting offense specific penalty/termination clauses in contracts to become basically mandatory, instead of letting it fall under "conduct unbecoming/club disrepute" type clauses.

I think this makes sense. 

Edited by mighty__mag

3 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I think not allowing the players to train is ridiculous. I didn't realise they did that with Toney. Sure, ban them from playing, but isolating them completely is counterproductive if you're dealing with somebody who has an addiction and a vice they routinely fulfill during their time off.

This might seem cynical but I think the "addiction" line is used to get sympathy.

That Fagioli lad is in debt to the tune of several million apparently. So aye - it seems like he has a severe problem.

The likelihood of being able to prove Milan knew is small. If it doesn't contribute towards FFP we might as well throw money into our own investigation but that will require the Italian FA to demand access to Milan phones, computers, interviews etc. which will just amount to a witchhunt from a foreign club by its Royal owners.

5 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I'm inclined to agree. With the 1st bit anyways. 

Absolutely no way they and, for that matter, him weren't tipped off. 

Proving it, tho, is varnigh impossible unless the WhatsApp group coughs up

sounds more likely in my opinion - maybe not to the extent of betting on actual games, but the issue with a potential gambling addiction. I guess only time will tell on that, but again, bottom line is we’re the losers in this. 

1 hour ago, wormy said:

:lol: Any chance you could link me to the tens of pages of discourse including multiple people discussing the logistics of sacking Gordon for his yellow cards? Must've missed that. 

There are very few calling for him to be sacked, most seem to be buying in to the addiction sob story like we should feel sorry for him.

Investigations like this don't just come about overnight. The Italian authorities have allowed Milan to sell him for a huge fee right before going ahead with this. The timing stinks and Milan will be laughing all the way to the bank, as well as whoever's getting the kickbacks. We've been had.

Not sure what the club can do about it.

There’s probably more, a lot more.

People who bet on football don’t tend to do random one off bets (esp if they have an addiction). I expect both parties (FIGC and the prosecutors) probably have decided not to dig deeper than they need to prove their case. 

Less complexity to the case easier it is  to prove for them. This way they ban the player, justice is served but they don’t ruin their career irrevocably and it sends a clear message out to any other players gambling.

I could speculate that they’ve chosen two high profile players who recently moved overseas to minimise the impact to the domestic leagues/clubs. 

Feels like they’ve leveraged a reduced ban for admissions of guilt. As has been mentioned, the speed of this compared to Toney/Toffolo etc has been lightning.

2 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

There’s probably more, a lot more.

People who bet on football don’t tend to do random one off bets (esp if they have an addiction). I expect both parties (FIGC and the prosecutors) probably have decided not to dig deeper than they need to prove their case. 

Less complexity to the case easier it is  to prove for them. This way they ban the player, justice is served but they don’t ruin their career irrevocably and it sends a clear message out to any other players gambling.

I could speculate that they’ve chosen two high profile players who recently moved overseas to minimise the impact to the domestic leagues/clubs. 

Feels like they’ve leveraged a reduced ban for admissions of guilt. As has been mentioned, the speed of this compared to Toney/Toffolo etc has been lightning.

Far more likely it hasn't been lightning. Tonali was a signing that caught Milan fans by surprise and it very much looked like we'd been tipped off about his availability. Now we know why.

30 minutes ago, Adam P said:

With all due respect, i dont think they are the same thing at all. Transfers happen when the venn diagrams overlap. Proposing that Milan's motivations to sell Tonali dont add up, that their awareness of Tonali's involvement in betting through the Fagioli case and the supposition that Milan could therefore have been informally aware of a preliminary investigation before the summer does not in any way overlap with our ability to persuade someone of his stature to come. My point is merely that it is perfectly plausible that Milan did know. I have seen quite a few people dismiss this and it strikes me as utterly baffling that this would be considered implausible. If someone tells me that the FIGC were investigating Fagioli before the summer then i'd put money on it. 

It's plausible that Milan did know, nobody knows. My point is that every transfer of a top player away from a club could be subject to 'why would they sell him', but they do time and time again.