Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

He's got to prove himself all over again in some ways. Sometimes he looked outstanding, others he was pretty ordinary. I think the key to seeing the best of him is getting the balance of the team right across the midfield. He never really clicked with Bruno in the short time they played together, but once they understand each other's positions there should be no reason they can't form a good partnership.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

A bit harsh, unbelievable on his debut, also thought he was our best player against Liverpool (we lost our way when he went off). Was very good against PSG in the champions league as well.

Yeah he played well the home games that I recall whereas the away games he looked a little lost and slow to close down danger. 

I seem to recall the bigger issue being Bruno didn’t look is self the early home games until Longstaff returned.

As much as everyone is hoping for a Tonali Bruno Joelinton midfield trio there is definitely some fine tuning needed to bring the best of all three of them out.

Edited by LFEE

he did go off the boil tbf , his passing became sloppy and his defensive play looked a bit ragged.I prefer to look at what he can bring to the side looking at that debut, it was pretty exciting. Plus those whipped in set play deliveries O0

To be fair his performance probably dropped off as his mind would have been on other things just prior to the investigation going public (and not just the 4:30 at Kempton)

We're talking about a young bloke starting for new club, in a new country when he knew his world may well be about to crash around his ears, yeah? 

He'll be 100% solid. New signing 😂

Whilst I agree he did blow hot and cold in those first couple months before suspension, I actually think it can be fairly well split between starts and sub appearances. Always seemed to range from solid to very good when starting. Whenever he came on off the bench it felt like it was taking him far too long to get up to the speed of the match. Think West Ham imparticular he may have cost us 2 points. 

Hope he comes out on fire for the new season. Fairly optimistic he will.

As others have said, I don't think there's a guarantee him, Bruno and Joelinton is the perfect setup right from the start. Hopefully they've worked out whatever was wrong last time around.

Re: the investigation, judging by his betting history he didn't know about it until basically everyone did. In terms of it not affecting his performances last season.

Posted (edited)

Confident he'll be a different player next year. By all accounts, his English is far better which should help strike a balance with Bruno and he has the added benefit of a year's worth of squad training under his belt. Might take a few games to shake the rust off but he should otherwise be well-acclimatised. 

Edited by Parsley

Posted (edited)

Yeah he was definitely hit and miss but he was a 23 year old lad who had moved to a new country, didn’t speak the language and was battling a gambling addiction at the time.

Hopefully a year under the stewardship of Howe and we’ll start seeing the player that we thought we were buying.

Edited by NSG

Posted (edited)

He’ll have an Anthony Gordon trajectory of improvement in his role. I’ve no doubt! Looking forward to watching him grow with the team. 

Edited by PauloGeordio

One of my least favourite sayings in football is actually true for once...he will be like a new signing!

Already spent a year training and bonding with Bruno etc. so he should hit the ground running. If we signed a top right winger, our front 6 will be one of the best in the league on paper. 

19 minutes ago, Vaj said:

One of my least favourite sayings in football is actually true for once...he will be like a new signing!

Already spent a year training and bonding with Bruno etc. so he should hit the ground running. When we sign a top right winger, our front 6 will be one of the best in the league.

:indi:

I said it in the thread earlier. I'm hoping with the time Tonali hasn't been available, it hopefully has helped him gel into the team now and that Eddie will know how he will use Tonali, Bruno, Big Joe, Lil Joe and  Longstaff in different circumstances and different opponents.

He did go off the boil after a great start last season but one of his last performances was off the bench against Dortmund at home and he looked outstanding, could see instantly the impact it was envisaged he would have in that type of fixture.

Seems like a passionate bloke so hopefully he'll be itching to reward the club and supporters for sticking by him.

He was excellent a few times bit anonymous the others, was just acclimatizing to new league etc very normal. Hopefully season in training will have got him up to speed, though I do worry about actual match sharpness with so much time out, it can never be quite the same on a training ground

When you consider how long it took the likes of Gordon to get up to speed, this time on the training ground could prove invaluable for him.  He will know exactly what Howe expects of him from the off, and I am sure they will be working on exactly what that looks like through preseason. 

As someone else said, bring in a top right sided player, and our front 6 is pretty scary. 

I don’t see any value in assessing how he’s done so far, the circumstances were so unique. He was a very exciting signing and I’m confident he’s going to be class next season. 

Longstaff just not playing will probably be worth another 9 points. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Longstaff just not playing will probably be worth another 9 points. 

I’m not his biggest fan but that’s pretty harsh. He was our 4th highest top scorer :lol: