Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

I wouldn't be too arsed for seeing 3 CB's on the park plus a couple of full backs personally. 

As the likes of Arteta has alluded to pretty recently teams play about 30 or 40 formations during a game anyway these days, you want players who can go and play in a raft of those and go and do a shift in a loads of areas during a game. 

A "shape" of 3-5-2/3-4-3 is already played by us during games about 20 times but it is just used with the likes of Bruno taking the ball rather than someone like Kelly seeing more of it, or as has happened in the team posted above basically Kelly on the pitch at expense of Barnes, I would take a hard pass on that, I don't think that makes us better personally. 

Edited by JEToon

4 hours ago, Heron said:

He is. I'm not disputing that.

It's just funny that when someone like Longstaff makes themselves available for the ball and gets in good positions that element of his game is entirely overlooked in any critiquing by certain folk and the focus then switches to how shit he was with the ball in whatever given circumstance. Yet for someone like Tonali, who we should rightly expect more of because he's a better player - folk switch to whatever positive spin they want to put on it.

If a player is passing the ball lots and accurately then surely that suggests he is also readily available to receive the ball. Yet the same "makes himself available" seemingly isn'tever attributed to someone like Longstaff.

Make no qualms about it. Tonali is a better player, by some stretch. I just feel that there's some discrepancy on how players are judged that's all.

Part of the frustration is that Eddie seems to have a much longer leash for Sean. We all know it takes raw reps to get up to speed in the league, and Tonali, in some large part due to his own gambling issue, has yet to be given an extended run to really bed in.

Would like to see him given a stretch of games so that he has an actual chance to adjust to prem play. A game or two, followed by a benching for not meeting our standards, not only feels unduly harsh given the leash others are provided, but also just poor management.

We should be doing everything in our power to get Sandro up to speed because he's one of the few players we have who, by his talent alone, can singlehandedly impact the game and our fortunes.

Not being funny, but could Bunce be a factor in Tonali's limited minutes? I'm giving a lot of leeway on decisions like minutes and games played for our players this season.

Taking him off was a shocking decision.... He'd moved more central too and was playing really well.

Then Bruno went off and I was even more perplexed.

Perhaps it's because they'd played for their countries?

Still wouldn't have taken them off.

Isak would have been first off.

Bizarre decision to take him off. He’s been back going on 2 months and it wasn’t even an injury. Gets his 90s for Italy and we seem to have to restrict his minutes. 

Get a damn #10 that can play between the lines of Isak and our CM. He would be able to play those neat short one touch line braking passes way more often. Also make Isak less isolated. Or at least a creative attacking midfielder so that we can have some more depth in our play going forward. Too predictable now. 

8 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Get a damn #10 that can play between the lines of Isak and our CM. He would be able to play those neat short one touch line braking passes way more often. Also make Isak less isolated. Or at least a creative attacking midfielder so that we can have some more depth in our play going forward. Too predictable now. 

We’ve built a squad without a 10 and without a RW.