Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Guest reefatoon
22 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Is that a frozen pizza that hasn’t even been cooked?

Maybe they weren’t allowed to use the oven either.

7 minutes ago, hakka said:

I thought exactly the same, mainly from the comment of having no elite attributes at a single thing, but you miss him when he's not there.

Tbh I thought that after looking at his fbref, reading a few articles (particularly the more DeRossi than Pirlo one) and watching a few YouTube comps. 

Gonna be bitter sweat when Gordon injures him in the final, but goes onto score the winner to make it 3 - 0 (4 if you count the World Cup) to us when it comes to wins over Europe. 

22 minutes ago, TonaliFan said:

Hi all,

Another Milan supporter here. Thought I'd have a gander at what's being said over this side and offer my 2 cents.

On the likelihood of signing Tonali

Unlike my compatriot Milanista, I am not so adamant that "you're not getting Tonali". As much as I would like to be so sure, the reports are saying that under current ownership, no player is off limits (if the right price comes along). Sadly, the region of 80m is good business, and that's how we operate now. Maldini... a legend and club icon, the man that completely represents what Milan is, got recently sacked as technical director in as little as a few words with no warning and no proper testimonial. That is an indication if ever I've seen one that the management is purely business. The 'moneyball' approach is the new wave, but it lacks heart, and a true ambition to reach the highest levels of football. 

It is true that he is a boyhood fan of the club. He embodies this team and what it represents in every possible way, through his football and his character. That's why a lot of us are quite upset over this news. In 2021, Tonali agreed to take a pay cut so he could stay at Milan, basically saying he could achieve everything here, didn't care about the money, and wanted to become a club icon. This is what i'm holding onto, but if the club agrees a deal and says to him we no longer need you, then you leave. 

On Tonali as a player

For those interested in what he's like as a footballer. He's young (yet established)... and soon to enter his prime.

Position: He can play as a 6 or an 8. In my opinion he's most effective as a box-to-box player. He has the speed, the intelligence, the passing to get forward, and the defensive skills to be a presence anywhere on the pitch. The only thing I would say is he does probably need to add more goals to his game, but he is improving in that regard. 

Physicality: Got an incredible engine - he will hustle, harry and never slack off. He works his arse off all game long. Excellent at breaking up play and filling in gaps. Having watched Newcastle play quite a bit last season, I think this suits your philosophy perfectly. 

Mentality: A+++++ A warrior, someone who fights for everything. Respects his club, teammates, coach and everyone involved. Will always give 100% and is the best team player you could ask for.

Side note: I found it interesting how Milanista mentioned how a lot of Milan fans say he's a "Jack of all trades, but master of none". There is some truth to this, IMO. Tonali, at this stage, in my opinion doesn't possess elite level qualities of other players in his position. He doesn't have the tackling of a Kante, or the passing of a Kroos. But he is the type of player that you notice when he's not there. He does the simple things consistently well, rarely puts a foot wrong and doesn't have any obvious weakness. In a word, he's 'effective'. 

Great post. Our manager has shown his ability to improve pretty much any player he’s given, esp those already suited to the style.

Similar to Botman he’ll come for the money but then see that the quality of the coaching is incredibly high. 

I remember when we pretended that Carroll wasn't at all responsible for his move to Liverpool, claiming that the entire thing was down to MA being a greedy cunt (although that was true), absolving Carroll of any blame/responsibility for abandoning his boyhood club....

Something similar is happening here with the Italian media. "Tonali wanted to stay", is something you will hear alot.

All I will say is this.... he can't of wanted to stay THAT much. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Nattfare said:

Great post, Tonalifan. If he signs, stick around and change your username to Toonalifan. ;)

Haha. I might have to. 

Honestly, I watch a lot of prem so I have nothing but respect for Newcastle and the way you guys have operated recently.

If he does make the move, I will certainly be cheering him and the collective on :)

5 minutes ago, James said:

Sounds like Bruno to me

Nah Bruno progresses the ball with passing and dribbling much better. Silkier. 

The Tonali comps are full of hard running, interceptions and tackles, good feet and decent passing. 

A Bruno comp will have more skilful runs and less obvious passes. 

1 minute ago, STM said:

I remember when we pretended that Carroll wasn't at all responsible for his move to Liverpool, claiming that the entire thing was down to MA being a greedy cunt (although that was true), absolving Carroll of any blame/responsibility for abandoning his boyhood club....

Something similar is happening here with the Italian media. "Tonali wanted to stay", is something you will hear alot.

All I will say is this.... he can't of wanted to stay THAT much. :lol:

I think I'm the other way. I blamed Given, Carroll, Enrique etc at the time but with time understood what Ashley's like. 

58 minutes ago, Decky said:

Reckon this gets done before the weekend. What a brilliant start to the window. 

I reckon we might have to wait until after the u21 match tonight to speak to him. So could be a Saturday announcement or maybe Monday—if he gets bladdered on the Quayside over the weekend 😉

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I think I'm the other way. I blamed Given, Carroll, Enrique etc at the time but with time understood what Ashley's like. 

Oh it made entire sense for them to leave for something better.

The reality is that Newcastle is something better than Milan and I know that's arrogant considering the size of Milan as an institution but football changes and we are a club on the charge. He will get to play in the best league in the world, earning treble his wages and opportunities are only going to get better for him.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Nah Bruno progresses the ball with passing and dribbling much better. Silkier. 

The Tonali comps are full of hard running, interceptions and tackles, good feet and decent passing. 

A Bruno comp will have more skilful runs and less obvious passes. 

My only ‘concern’ was that he didn’t look like he would solve the problems we have when Bruno doesn’t play. That lack of ball progression or guile in midfield to create a bit of space. 

But I think the JM / Szo signing solves that.  

32 minutes ago, TonaliFan said:

Hi all,

Another Milan supporter here. Thought I'd have a gander at what's being said over this side and offer my 2 cents.

Unlike my compatriot Milanista, I am not so adamant that "you're not getting Tonali". As much as I would like to be so sure, the reports are saying that under current ownership, no player is off limits (if the right price comes along). Sadly, the region of 80m is good business, and that's how we operate now. Maldini... a legend and club icon, the man that completely represents what Milan is, got recently sacked as technical director in as little as a few words with no warning and no proper testimonial. That is an indication if ever I've seen one that the management is purely business. The 'moneyball' approach is the new wave, but it lacks heart, and a true ambition to reach the highest levels of football. 

It is true that he is a boyhood fan of the club. He embodies this team and what it represents in every possible way, through his football and his character. That's why a lot of us are quite upset over this news. In 2021, Tonali agreed to take a pay cut so he could stay at Milan, basically saying he could achieve everything here, didn't care about the money, and wanted to become a club icon. This is what i'm holding onto, but if the club agrees a deal and says to him we no longer need you, then you leave. 

On Tonali as a player

For those interested in what he's like as a footballer. He's young (yet established)... and soon to enter his prime.

Position: He can play as a 6 or an 8. In my opinion he's most effective as a box-to-box player. He has the speed, the intelligence, the passing to get forward, and the defensive skills to be a presence anywhere on the pitch. The only thing I would say is he does probably need to add more goals to his game, but he is improving in that regard. 

Physicality: Got an incredible engine - he will hustle, harry and never slack off. He works his arse off all game long. Excellent at breaking up play and filling in gaps. Having watched Newcastle play quite a bit last season, I think this suits your philosophy perfectly. 

Mentality: A+++++ A warrior, someone who fights for everything. Respects his club, teammates, coach and everyone involved. Will always give 100% and is the best team player you could ask for.

Side note: I found it interesting how Milanista mentioned how a lot of Milan fans say he's a "Jack of all trades, but master of none". There is some truth to this, IMO. Tonali, at this stage, in my opinion doesn't possess elite level qualities of other players in his position. He doesn't have the tackling of a Kante, or the passing of a Kroos. But he is the type of player that you notice when he's not there. He does the simple things consistently well, rarely puts a foot wrong and doesn't have any obvious weakness. In a word, he's 'effective'. 

You an English Milan fan? Very ‘naturalised’ use of language. Thanks for the info 👍

Using Maddison as an example

Option 1:

Bruno       Tonali

Miggy        Maddison       Joelinton 

Isak

Option 2:

Tonali

Bruno               Joelinton 

Maddison                              ASM

Isak

Option 3:

Bruno

Tonali                 Willock

Maddison                           Joelinton 

Isak

Options, options, options.

35 minutes ago, TonaliFan said:

Hi all,

On Tonali as a player

Welcome to the forum! Milan fans on our forum giving us a run down of one of their players…who the fuck would have thought it a couple years ago?