NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

10 minutes ago, sempuki said:

Nonsense article. But he would be the natural successor to Wilson. Not convinced about the playing across the front three comment or the pressing one either but he probably has the ability to do both. He did excel in the false 9 and AM roles. We simply aren't spending 40-60m on him though with LB, CB, RW needs, for starters, more pressing. 

Would love it but it is nonsense.

Guest reefatoon
13 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

If Tonali was the only signing this window with no outgoings would you be bothered? 

The season we only brought Bowyer in and the season we only brought Anita in were not the greatest. Leaves it all a little flat. Think we will do more though as it is needed.

Edited by reefatoon

11 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

If Tonali was the only signing this window with no outgoings would you be bothered? 

Would be incredibly disappointed. I was never expecting an overhaul this window, was expecting/hoping for 2 big money and first team ready signings; a CM and a RW, plus 1 or 2 signings for depth, a LB and RCB. 

Still plenty of time. I was flapping last summer in the time we didn't make a single signing between 1 July and 26 August when we were crying out for a striker. We ended up with probably my favourite player at the club atm in Isak. Hope it doesn't take that long again obviously but I trust those at the club to get it right.

22 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

We’ve already made a second signing, or to be accurate Tonali was signing #2. Even just considering Tonali, we’ve brought in a top class player in our weakest position by far. If it ended here I’d have faith in Howe to make it work with the players at his disposal. I’m not expecting a season as good as the one just ended in any case. European football qualification, a decent CL campaign and perhaps a cup run would be pretty good considering the foundations are still being laid for this project we’re on. I’d be mildly disappointed, but hardly up in arms. I’d rather we buy only top class players and prospects rather than more of what we already have and will struggle to offload in years to come.

35 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

He won't be so not even worth answering at this point. Quote me if that turns out to be wrong.

We go through the merry dance of stressing about the number of incomings every single window, and every time it turns out fine. 

I've every confidence we'll get another couple at least (there's clearly something in the Barnes thing, for starters).

But, in answer to the question, I wouldn't be horrified if it was just Tonali (which is an amazing signing and a significant investment) on the proviso that no one left. I'd be sad to miss out on the buzz of more transfers and I don't think we'd finish in the top 4 again, but the squad is so much better than it was a couple years ago. Plus I'm extremely pro us not doing the Chelsea/Man City thing and I feel very attached to the existing squad. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

the squad is so much better than it was a couple years ago.

Yep! Just look at the internationals we had coming back in today's training video. Couldn't have dreamed that situation 2 seasons ago.

Spent last season worried about key injuries (everytime Schar went down e.g.) and felt we were at our limits to play the way we did without being able to rest and alternate much, so with CL football on top of that I think we'd be guaranteed to drop back a bit as things stand. Luckily it would only be temporary (more 1995 than 2004).

Edited by Wolfcastle

2 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Luckily we have people in charge now who know what they’re doing, so we shouldn’t be going into the new season with just one signing. 

Hopefully.

We sure do do but it seems like they've all fucked off on holiday for the summer. 

Edited by Ken Boon

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

We go through the merry dance of stressing about the number of incomings every single window, and every time it turns out fine. 

I've every confidence we'll get another couple at least (there's clearly something in the Barnes thing, for starters).

But, in answer to the question, I wouldn't be horrified if it was just Tonali (which is an amazing signing and a significant investment) on the proviso that no one left. I'd be sad to miss out on the buzz of more transfers and I don't think we'd finish in the top 4 again, but the squad is so much better than it was a couple years ago. Plus I'm extremely pro us not doing the Chelsea/Man City thing and I feel very attached to the existing squad. 

This is a great point. 

The year we finished 5th we didn't do a great deal with the squad and we all knew where the shortcomings lay. This squad, while not perfect, has genuine depth to it and we've just added a 55m midfielder to it (soz Vurnon, love ya m8). 

I feel nostalgic for the days when transfers happened overnight, you'd wake up, look at the back page of a paper and see another teams player in a new shirt. Great stuff, transfers these days go through a 2 week VAR, which takes all the surprise and excitement out of them.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

I feel nostalgic for the days when transfers happened overnight, you'd wake up, look at the back page of a paper and see another teams player in a new shirt. Great stuff, transfers these days go through a 2 week VAR, which takes all the surprise and excitement out of them.

If you didn’t keep looking at your phone and hitting refresh every 2 minutes that’s exactly how it would happen. There are too many journalists and tap-in merchants out there (not to mention the WUMs and fake accounts) with no clue what’s going on giving constant non updates. Maybe just ignore them and all the noise and you’ll feel a bit better. 

It's only mid-July. No need to press the panic button just yet.

The Barnes link will probably go through, and if we were to add strength to the LB and CB positions that would leave us in good shape I reckon. Any more signings to that might lead to issues in integrating the newcomers.

If we can just do that, I'd be optimistic of another top four finish, despite the European commitments. Eddie is worth an extra 25 points to us each season.