NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

39 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Honestly all I see coming in January is a free keeper (De Gea or Lloris) and someone on loan like Kalvin Phillips. Don't see any money flying about.

I think the same. Partly because of the FFP constraints, partly because January usually offers pretty poor value but mainly because I think we're going to keep our powder dry until the summer.

I'm not saying they'll treat this season as a write-off but I can see the sense in getting through this season as best we can, we've had the bonus of (minimum) six CL games and the income that brings, so we invest well in the summer and start the 24/25 season with a considerably more talented and extensive squad than started 22/23 and make top 4/5 the clear target.

1 hour ago, Upthemags said:

Echoing the skepticism here - much more pressing needs with our current makeup/injury list. And unless you want to dump Pope for good, it wouldn't make sense to allocate what's already a tight budget towards a new keeper. RW > Midfield > CB > GK imo

The better the  outfield squad the less the keeper has to do. 

2 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

The better the  outfield squad the less the keeper has to do. 

Nonsense the 2 most important players on the pitch are your goalkeeper and centre forward. The guy who puts the ball in the net and the guy who keeps it out. An excellent keeper behind an average defence concedes less than a poor keeper behind a good defence

8 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Nonsense the 2 most important players on the pitch are your goalkeeper and centre forward. The guy who puts the ball in the net and the guy who keeps it out. An excellent keeper behind an average defence concedes less than a poor keeper behind a good defence

We have as good a keeper as we can afford at the minute with pope.  We have limited funds. Pope will be back in a few months and we have bigger long term priorities than a 50 million pound keeper.  Spending money on midfield and defence is a more sensible long term use of resources and protecting the keeper reduces the work he needs to do. 

‘nonsense’. Thanks professor yaffle. 

Edited by Mahoneys Tache

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

I think the same. Partly because of the FFP constraints, partly because January usually offers pretty poor value but mainly because I think we're going to keep our powder dry until the summer.

I'm not saying they'll treat this season as a write-off but I can see the sense in getting through this season as best we can, we've had the bonus of (minimum) six CL games and the income that brings, so we invest well in the summer and start the 24/25 season with a considerably more talented and extensive squad than started 22/23 and make top 4/5 the clear target.

It all depends on whether or not we make it to the R16 in the UCL. We would get €9.6m for just making it there. This allows for a €48m transfer if it’s a 5 year contract. 

Edited by Solitude20

I'd say keeper probably wasn't a priority but is now arguably the biggest one for me.

Keeper, Phillips on loan to cover Tonali, and right wing would be what I would probably look at doing.

Depends how we're looking at CB in terms of Botman and Burn though. If we're still struggling there then recall Minteh and spend money on the defence instead.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Anything interesting in that ?

Meh.

Interested in Philips.

Goalkeeper, midfielder and young forward on the list.

Minteh could be recalled.

Likely to play down spending in public, but there's cash there.

Wednesdays result could impact spending.

Edited by The Prophet

Think the priorities will be Phillips in, another right winger and now a goalkeeper. I dont think we'll sign another centre half until the summer when we'll also probably sign another midfield player. 

The problem with signing another keeper is that you either go out and get a player whos better than Pope, which means spending big, or you get someone in the short term to replace Dubravka until the end of the season, but there really is limited options. It would have to be a loan or a free. There's no point in signing Ramsdale, if hes going to be relegated to the bench again after 6 months but theres no chance of Arsenal sending him out on loan. 

Dubravka has looked way off it in his first two games. He's barely played in the last two years and hes 35 in January. I really dont think we can see out the season relying on him im afraid. 

I think it's quite difficult to assess from the outside exactly how the upcoming window will play out. I would be disinclined to pay much attention to the kinds of murmurings that are starting to emerge in the press. 

The GK situation is far from clear or easy to navigate, as outlined above. The form of Lascelles may mean that we are satisfied to wait until the summer for a CB signing. A midfielder to effectively take Tonali's squad place feels like a no-brainer but the emergence of Miley may prove to be a consideration for this window too, especially if we are/were looking primarily at short-term stopgaps like Phillips. A RW will surely be on the agenda for the coming windows, but finding the right player in January may be difficult, especially factoring in FFP constraints. And finding a third choice striker, who is happy to be a rotational option at this moment in time but still possesses the quality and attitude to make an impact when called upon and also to develop in that context, is far from straightforward . And that's assuming we are even looking at that position - hard to think of many top sides with 3 outright strikers to call upon. Potentially looking at a RW equivalent to Gordon who can also play as a forward, but that depends on exactly what kind of player Howe is looking to target for that side of the pitch, which I think will be a big indicator of what direction we may or may not be heading in tactically.