NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Joey47 said:

Maybe he did prefer a move to Spurs but why are you stating that as fact? Also do you really believe we could have offered wages any where near what Spurs are paying him? [emoji38]

It is one.

3 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

And maybe it had something to do with Spurs offering higher wages? 

Nope. As much as our resident spurs fan won't want to hear it, he had his heart set on Arsenal. When it was clear that wasn't happening he wanted to go to Spurs. He didn't even discuss wages with us.

Or I suppose you're saying it was common knowledge that we wouldn't offer as much so he didn't bother considering us? Seems strange to pick Spurs in that situation.

37 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Gibbs White has a high level of technical ability, the difference being he is less flash than Paqueta.

This comparison isn't reflected in the data or the eye test for me.

Gibbs-White is solid technically. Paqueta is one of the most skilful players in the league. The touch, the cuteness of pass, that's not MGW game.

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

The idea that we have to sell to rebuild when really we’re only a couple of years into this is insane. I suppose in 18 months or so we’d sell Isak too just so we can continue doing business. Citing West Ham and Villa is fine, but they haven’t actually achieved anything more than us yet, they haven’t broken into the cartel.

That’s not entirely correct. The first of a new 3 yr stretch of FFP starts in July together with the fact that the new sponsorship deals come into play from summer. We won’t necessarily be able to go beserk but we’ll be able to spend a fair wedge. It’s just that now we are cutting it very fine with FFP and therefore in the current predicament. However the club will always have to learn to sell to generate funds.

Agree on the cartel too though.

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

That’s not entirely correct. The first of a new 3 yr stretch of FFP starts in July together with the fact that the new sponsorship deals come into play from summer. We won’t necessarily be able to go beserk but we’ll be able to spend a fair wedge. It’s just that now we are cutting it very fine with FFP and therefore in the current predicament. However the club will always have to learn to sell to generate funds.

Agree on the cartel too though.

That new 3 year stretch already includes a hefty loss in 2023 and whatever we do this season. Next year we could well be cutting it fine with FFP too if we want to spend a decent amount barring a firesale :anguish:

That Eales interview has done well in setting expectations in the fanbase.

Spurs created their spot in the top 6 through reinvesting in player sales. It can be done if you level up everything else.

We'll have to sell until we can qualify for the CL back-to-back and actually progress. Or CL (playing in Europe beyond Dec) -Europa (deep run) - CL (playing in Europe beyond Dec).

That does wonders for revenue and sponsorships. 

3 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

That new 3 year stretch already includes a hefty loss in 2023 and whatever we do this season. Next year we could well be cutting it fine with FFP too if we want to spend a decent amount barring a firesale :anguish:

Eales has said the summer will be transformative, make of that what you will. I’m realistic about things in terms of spending but I think there’ll be a massive overhaul in the summer and the Jan is the first indication of it.

FFP will always restrict us and others until there’s changes. 

I think the commercial income will increase come the summer, Man Utd have something like 30 "global Sponsors" from Wine to Mattresses to Face Cream. 

I'd love to see the "fair market value" be challenged considering what others are making, compared to the state Ashley left us in. The same must go for Villa, West Ham, Brighton ect, we can't be not allowed to grow because the teams above us are scared we'll catch them, how is that Financial Fair Play ?

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

He didn’t choose us because we offered him more money than you. He chose us because he wanted to play for us,

The fact that you think he’s our highest paid player now too doesn’t bolster your credibility :lol:

I don’t have a problem believing he preferred the move to yourselves over us as I was one of the very few in the summer who advocated he would join Spurs despite us able to offer him CL football if you are seriously questioning my credibility?

As for his place on your wage structure it was reported only HK was above him and looking at your squad profile it wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case particularly when the fee paid was probably £20-25m less than what he could’ve went for under different circumstances at Leicester.

Who do you think your top 5 earners are and approx what do you think they earn pw when the team is winning?

25 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Difficult, if we look our midfielders they are basically all box to box players, all of our signings to date have been bought with the intent of playing in our current system imo. 

Eddie working with what he’s got. I doubt he came in thinking that’s what he wanted. He inherited Willock, Joelinton, Longstaff and Miley. 
Tonali was a totally different style of midfielder and a hint and what Eddie is trying to do - change the makeup of our play and the profile our our midfielders. 

22 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Maybe he did prefer a move to Spurs but why are you stating that as fact? Also do you really believe we could have offered wages any where near what Spurs are paying him? [emoji38]

Because of everything he’s said and everything he’s done. We don’t know any of it as fact really, but I think it’s pretty clear.

And no because of FFP but in theory yes because I suspect Bruno is on similar albeit less pw. Not the point though - I was responding to a post that seemed to suggest that you were choosing between Maddison at 200Kpw and Barnes at 100Kpw. Like you, I was sceptical that you’d have offered 200Kpw not least because it’s guessed that we’re paying him appreciably less.

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That Eales interview has done well in setting expectations in the fanbase.

Spurs created their spot in the top 6 through reinvesting in player sales. It can be done if you level up everything else.

We'll have to sell until we can qualify for the CL back-to-back and actually progress. Or CL (playing in Europe beyond Dec) -Europa (deep run) - CL (playing in Europe beyond Dec).

That does wonders for revenue and sponsorships. 

Who did Spurs sell though? Certainly wasn't their best players was it?

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I don’t have a problem believing he preferred the move to yourselves over us as I was one of the very few in the summer who advocated he would join Spurs despite us able to offer him CL football if you are seriously questioning my credibility?

As for his place on your wage structure it was reported only HK was above him and looking at your squad profile it wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case particularly when the fee paid was probably £20-25m less than what he could’ve went for under different circumstances at Leicester.

Who do you think your top 5 earners are and approx what do you think they earn pw when the team is winning?

Dunno, it’s all guesswork. Spotrac says Son (190), Maddison (170), Romero (165) - the three team “captains”. Then Kulusevski (110, seems high), and Hojbjerg (101, probably moving on). That seems generally plausible but heaps of salt required.

13 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Dunno, it’s all guesswork. Spotrac says Son (190), Maddison (170), Romero (165) - the three team “captains”. Then Kulusevski (110, seems high), and Hojbjerg (101, probably moving on). That seems generally plausible but heaps of salt required.

Coming from Juve?

33 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

So you questioned my credibility at me for saying he was reportedly your second highest paid player before HK left and turns out he’s… the 3rd and now the 2nd! And you laughed at me saying he’s pulling in around £200kpw give or take a few Kpw and shock horror you think he’s on £170kpw. So again similar ball park to what I suggested and again strengthening my point that we could not afford JM with all the other business we wanted to do in the summer but we could HB due to the fee being around £5-7m cheaper and wages over the 5yrs on top making the price overall around £23-25m (£18m+£5-7m) more ??‍♂️ 

Also just had the briefest of glances and at the time of JM signing Son was on his old contract so therefore going off your own logic JM would’ve been the 2nd highest paid player at your club behind HK as I suggested…

Edited by LFEE

31 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Gibbs-White is solid technically. Paqueta is one of the most skilful players in the league. The touch, the cuteness of pass, that's not MGW game.

• Both are capable of playing as a #8 and a #10 and can link up midfield and attack

• Have good engines that means they have a high work rate that they use to break forward at pace

• Have good close control to get out of tight spaces and take players on

• Capable of defence splitting passes 

Is Paqueta more skilful with the ball at his feet? Absolutely he is. Is Gibbs-White more prepared to chase back and put the extra effort in for the team? I don’t think there is any doubt. 

That doesn’t mean they are not a similar type of player that shares some key attributes; however, I am interested to hear who you think both Gibbs-White and Paqueta would be seen as similar to from

the eye test.

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

• Both are capable of playing as a #8 and a #10 and can link up midfield and attack

• Have good engines that means they have a high work rate that they use to break forward at pace

• Have good close control to get out of tight spaces and take players on

• Capable of defence splitting passes 

Is Paqueta more skilful with the ball at his feet? Absolutely he is. Is Gibbs-White more prepared to chase back and put the extra effort in for the team? I don’t think there is any doubt. 

That doesn’t mean they are not a similar type of player that shares some key attributes; however, I am interested to hear who you think both Gibbs-White and Paqueta would be seen as similar to from

the eye test.

I think they both come under the profile of creative midfielders who can easily play 2/3 different positions - I think their only difference may be number of goals - what they try to offer their teams isn’t actually too different - a lot of elements are quite comparable tbf

Anyone else pretty relaxed about the whole thing? Top players will go, we'll not always agree with it, we'll have dips season-to-season, but the evidence and all the signs suggest the club wants to be the best it can, that's all we've ever asked.

It doesn't feel like the Ashley days where you'd know a big player being sold would lead to a cheaper, normally far inferior replacement. It'll be reinvested in the club/squad to the maximum that we're allowed.

Will be a shame seeing the likes of Trippier and Almiron go whether it's next week or 2 years, but the club is moving forward.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I disagree with this. MGW is definitely technically gifted and his game - first touch, ball carrying, dribbling past players, outside of the foot passing - is fundamentally similar to Paqueta.

There's an argument that Paqueta is smoother and easier on the eye, but I'd have more faith in MGW in other positions due to being quicker. Both of them have the same deficiencies in terms of shooting IMO.

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

I disagree with this. MGW is definitely technically gifted and his game - first touch, ball carrying, dribbling past players, outside of the foot passing - is fundamentally similar to Paqueta.

There's an argument that Paqueta is smoother and easier on the eye, but I'd have more faith in MGW in other positions due to being quicker. Both of them have the same deficiencies in terms of shooting IMO.

https://youtu.be/d6IzkuLTHdc?si=7wjfZ0c6YtVIs7Aq