NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I've always liked Ramsdale and think he'd be a quality addition, no matter how he'd be used. It seems like I'm in the minority though.

If we can get him for under £20m I think that'd be a sound investment, seeing Dubs and Karius are off

21 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Like a "defender"?

No like a goal keeper. Its pretty much a unique position to play in.  

Ramsdale links are confusing - Pope is better (and back), and unfortunately we don't have the luxury to expend 25 million on a backup keeper when we're lacking in so many areas in the starting XI. I do hope Howe and co. will wise up and stop paying the PL tax and look internationally. It's no coincidence our best business has been non-domestic.

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

Ramsdale links are confusing - Pope is better (and back), and unfortunately we don't have the luxury to expend 25 million on a backup keeper when we're lacking in so many areas in the starting XI. I do hope Howe and co. will wise up and stop paying the PL tax and look internationally. It's no coincidence our best business has been non-domestic.

Not sure how we're classifying Trippier, but Gordon, Pope, Tino, and Burn all excellent business.

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

Not sure how we're classifying Trippier, but Gordon, Pope, Tino, and Burn all excellent business.

Best business, by a long shot, has been Bruno and Isak, two world class players, both of whom were international. That's not to say the domestic business hasn't been impressive.

Posted (edited)

After getting one or two CBs, my #1 priority would be a striker. We went into most games this season with only one fit striker, which seems unacceptable to me for a team vying for top 4 and competing in Europe.

Edited by BermyToon

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Slim said:

You are thinking of Ederson

I’m not. He’s arguably the best there has ever been in terms of playing out from the back. Certainly the player who takes the  most risks and is most compfortable in the ball. To the point where it’s almost meme worthy.

Edited by Rafalove

https://www.squawka.com/en/pep-guardiola-manuel-neuer-midfield-bayern-munich/?amp

Pep Guardiola genuinely attempted to play Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer in midfield in a Bundesliga match, according to Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

Guardiola, 49, presided over three years at the Allianz Arena between 2013 and 2016, during which time he won three consecutive Bundesliga titles. Neuer played a key part of those successes between the sticks, though it is being claimed Guardiola felt he could be influential elsewhere.

Why would Pep try to play Neuer outfield? Five things to know…

Neuer initially signed up to Schalke’s youth academy (at a very young age) as a striker.

In 2011, he eventually left Schalke for Bayern, where he was Guardiola’s first-choice goalkeeper between 2013 and 2016.

The Germany international is renowned for his ball-playing ability, composure in possession and distribution; he has averaged 25.6 successful passes per 90 minutes in the Champions League since the start of the 2016/17 season.

Neuer is also considered modern football’s archetypal ‘sweeper-keeper’, willing to venture outside his box.

The most famous example of this notion came during Germany’s 2-1 win over Algeria at the 2014 World Cup (heatmap below), which they ultimately won.

Pep Guardiola genuinely attempted to play Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer in midfield in a Bundesliga match, according to Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

Guardiola, 49, presided over three years at the Allianz Arena between 2013 and 2016, during which time he won three consecutive Bundesliga titles. Neuer played a key part of those successes between the sticks, though it is being claimed Guardiola felt he could be influential elsewhere.

Neuer initially signed up to Schalke’s youth academy (at a very young age) as a striker.

In 2011, he eventually left Schalke for Bayern, where he was Guardiola’s first-choice goalkeeper between 2013 and 2016.

The Germany international is renowned for his ball-playing ability, composure in possession and distribution; he has averaged 25.6 successful passes per 90 minutes in the Champions League since the start of the 2016/17 season.

Neuer is also considered modern football’s archetypal ‘sweeper-keeper’, willing to venture outside his box.

The most famous example of this notion came during Germany’s 2-1 win over Algeria at the 2014 World Cup (heatmap below), which they ultimately won.

Guardiola isn’t the only coach who feels Neuer can play midfield…

This is not the first time those close to Neuer have waxed lyrical about his ability to play further up the pitch.

In 2014, Germany boss Joachim Low made the claim that his No. 1 shot-stopper was so good from a technical standpoint that he could seamlessly slot into his midfield.

He said: “Manuel Neuer has the same technical skills as the others, he could play in the midfield, he also has great awareness and that’s why we are happy for him to take these risks, and that’s why he’s so valuable.

“He can basically be a player behind the defence.”

After years of struggling with injury problems following Guardiola’s departure, Neuer has re-established his position as Bayern’s first-choice ‘keeper, and his performances will go a long way to helping his side clinch an eighth successive Bundesliga title.

This is one of the closest title races in recent Bundesliga memory with just three points separating first from fourth, but Bayern currently lead the charge and are 4/9* favourites to bring up a record 30 German top-flight triumphs with William Hill.  

5 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

https://www.squawka.com/en/pep-guardiola-manuel-neuer-midfield-bayern-munich/?amp

Guardiola isn’t the only coach who feels Neuer can play midfield…

This is not the first time those close to Neuer have waxed lyrical about his ability to play further up the pitch.

In 2014, Germany boss Joachim Low made the claim that his No. 1 shot-stopper was so good from a technical standpoint that he could seamlessly slot into his midfield.

He said: “Manuel Neuer has the same technical skills as the others, he could play in the midfield, he also has great awareness and that’s why we are happy for him to take these risks, and that’s why he’s so valuable.

“He can basically be a player behind the defence.”

After years of struggling with injury problems following Guardiola’s departure, Neuer has re-established his position as Bayern’s first-choice ‘keeper, and his performances will go a long way to helping his side clinch an eighth successive Bundesliga title.

This is one of the closest title races in recent Bundesliga memory with just three points separating first from fourth, but Bayern currently lead the charge and are 4/9* favourites to bring up a record 30 German top-flight triumphs with William Hill.  

Pretty sure you're thinking of Alisson tbh

1 hour ago, Willow said:

I've always liked Ramsdale and think he'd be a quality addition, no matter how he'd be used. It seems like I'm in the minority though.

If we can get him for under £20m I think that'd be a sound investment, seeing Dubs and Karius are off

I'm with you. There was a time not so long ago that quite a few wanted him as england number 1.

It's not a big gamble, certainly at that price.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I don’t want Ramsdale but 15 million would be a decent deal. However I don’t see anyway Arsenal sell to us for that price.

Reckon 15m with a few performance related add ons would get a deal done and suit all parties.

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

I’m not. He’s arguably the best there has ever been in terms of playing out from the back. Certainly the player who takes the  most risks and is most compfortable in the ball. To the point where it’s almost meme worthy.

Honestly you are.  Its an easy mistake to make tbh.

At some point it seems like a no brainer to go back and get Armstrong and Woodman as squad fillers. Dunno if either is ready to ride the bench though.

Think Ramsdale is better than most will give him credit for as he is a bit of knob. If we want to transition to a more possession based team having a keeper good with their feet is important. Pope is no doubt a top keeper in most areas but his control of the ball and kicking is arguably the worst in the league. With how many sides press high up now it's a massive disadvantage having a keeper who will shank it out of play everytime you play it back to him. 

Is he really that good with his feet though? I distinctly remember him being specifically targeted by our press, particularly by Miggy in the 2-0 home game at the back end of Eddie's first season here. He had an absolute 'mare that night if my memory serves 

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Is he really that good with his feet though? I distinctly remember him being specifically targeted by our press, particularly by Miggy in the 2-0 home game at the back end of Eddie's first season here. He had an absolute 'mare that night if my memory serves 

While that's a good point..... imagine us pressing Nick Pope in the same fashion. :lol:

Posted (edited)

A prem proven GK at £15m would be outrageous value, especially if it means we add an extra 20m to the outfield budget. 

We can always revisit that position when our income warrants it.

Edit: all  rides on whether that valuations is right, obviously. I'm thinking not.

Edited by Thumbheed

Still confused with the Ramsdale links.

- He isn't coming here to swap one bench for another.

- He isn't better than Pope

- If Pope is off we can surely get someone better than Ramsdale. 

1 hour ago, Deuce said:

At some point it seems like a no brainer to go back and get Armstrong and Woodman as squad fillers. Dunno if either is ready to ride the bench though.

I was a keen follower of Armstrong's development, but he doesn't seem cut for the Premier League.