NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

13 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Pleasant surprise to open a link like that and not be met with AIDS for the eyes. The Chronicle could learn a thing or two

Get those two in early and then you would hope our focus is spend heavily on 2 right wingers, one top drawer and one quality understudy (unless we're planning on utilising Minteh for the latter).

Then wait to see who snaps up our cast-offs and play the market as it comes.

I think we'll go big on a key RW target and that'll be it, assuming we sell Miggy and keep Murphy. Unless there's a bargain to be had on that quality understudy I think we'll be happy with Gordon, Barnes, New RW and Murphy, with players like Isak and Joelinton able to cover LW too.

Tosin, Kelly, quality at GK and RW would be an excellent window. I think we might only sign a striker if Wilson goes, unless we can pick up someone on the cheap (less than £10m).

4 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I think we'll go big on a key RW target and that'll be it, assuming we sell Miggy and keep Murphy. Unless there's a bargain to be had on that quality understudy I think we'll be happy with Gordon, Barnes, New RW and Murphy, with players like Isak and Joelinton able to cover LW too.

Tosin, Kelly, quality at GK and RW would be an excellent window. I think we might only sign a striker if Wilson goes, unless we can pick up someone on the cheap (less than £10m).

Minteh a possible RW option too! (Not instead of a new RW mind).

Shame Minteh isn't taking part in this Australian tour. Would've been perfect timing getting him integrated with the bulk of the squad. I can see why he's not there and no doubt Howe will make a better judgement come preseason but still a shame.

1 minute ago, PauloGeordio said:

If Ramsdale is really available at £15M you can see why that would be tempting . The difference in price between the two could get us a Lewis Hall type signing (more or less).

40 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Alfie Harrison is gonna be with the first team next season. If/when he comes good he'll be transformative to our approach.

Why do people think he’s going to be so good? I heard through someone with connections that Man City didn’t offer him a contract. The other ‘big 5’ didn’t either.

He’s one that could make it, like the others, but as it stands he’s still got a very long way to go.

Minteh is a weird one.. potential high value sale for someone we’ve never seen play for us.

Based on his season, you’d have to say he’d be worth 20m+?

7 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Why do people think he’s going to be so good? I heard through someone with connections that Man City didn’t offer him a contract. The other ‘big 5’ didn’t either.

He’s one that could make it, like the others, but as it stands he’s still got a very long way to go.

I also have "connections" (loosely) with Man City. He was going to be spending more time with the Man City first team this upcoming season. Pep rated him extremely highly. 

He's miles above the level he's played this season. I really like Sanusi too, think he'll be on the fringes.

Posted (edited)

In order of preference:

GK: Marmadishvii, Ramsdale, Trafford

CB: Scalvini/Diomande/Silva, Tosin, Kelly

CM: MGW, Doue, Ndidi

RW: Raphinia, Olise, Chiesa, Williams, Roony Bardjhi, Matias Soule

ST: Sesko, Guirassy, Vitor Roque 

Youngsters: Rigg, Cozier-Duberry, Zenon

Edited by kingxlnc

Posted (edited)

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-summer-transfer-window-what-expect-3065956

What to expect from Newcastle’s summer transfer window

Newcastle United’s ludicrous end-of-season trip to Australia tells you everything you need to know about the financial hurdles the club still have to vault as they attempt to catch up with the Premier League’s elite.

Alan Shearer might have branded the seven day tour “madness”, but when you’re struggling to break out of the Premier League’s profitability and sustainability shackles, for a payment of around £2.5m, the sum i understands Newcastle have banked for two friendlies and some commercial work, there is a cold, hard logic to it.

A fed up Kieran Trippier summed up the weary resignation of the squad at the prospect of playing two friendlies more than 10,000 miles away when he called it “not ideal” last week but Newcastle’s commercial team have been told to double revenue every two years to support the club’s ambition to challenge the elite. After a season of blood, sweat and tears, sweating the asset is the only way.

The players will grin and bear it but it is PSR that means there is an unsettling air of uncertainty over Newcastle this summer.

Without financial fair play the Magpies would be emphatic in the market: a right winger, versatile young forward, two centre-backs and a new goalkeeper would be easily sourced. But the way things look right now, accommodations will have to be reached to make those deals happen.

Even those familiar with the overarching recruitment remit in the close season – “Improve, target quality and move us forward decisively,” one insider tells i – can’t predict the shape of the team that will kick off the next Premier League campaign in three months’ time.

Eddie Howe was not bluffing when he spoke of “uncertainty” around summer transfer plans after the team signed off a draining campaign at Brentford, even if he played down fears that Bruno Guimaraes was waving goodbye to the Newcastle support when he paused to wave at the massed ranks in the away end at the Gtech Community Stadium.

Everything orbits around the Brazil midfielder for the next few weeks, with his £100m release clause active until the end of June. To those of a nervous disposition, his post-match demeanour in West London might have been cause for concern.

It’s probably best not to dwell too much. Those sort of theatrics are part of Guimaraes’ appeal and nothing new. His tears at Wembley after Newcastle lost to Manchester United in the Carabao Cup final last February were typical of a player who wears his heart on his sleeve and the word from the club has been consistent. He is not agitating to leave St James’ Park and has not presented as a player with his eye elsewhere.

But it’s also worth noting that there are people in his entourage who are hardly playing down the prospect of either Arsenal or Manchester City giving Newcastle a headache by tabling a bid for him this summer. Whether either would extend to triggering his £100m release clause is the real issue: if neither does, Newcastle won’t let him go – even if Arsenal sources nurse a belief that a deal can be brokered later in the summer for less as a way of evading their own PSR limits.

If he stays, Newcastle can build around him. If he goes, they will need to rebuild but financial analysts believe a £100m sale would give them £80m of PSR headroom – enough to buy “three or four” high calibre players to replace him. Newcastle would invest “every single penny” if the worst happens and he departs but that would pave the way for a hectic summer of wholesale change. There are no guarantees they would emerge from that stronger, even if they have reinforcements.

At least there is less doubt about Alexander Isak, who will be offered a new contract in the summer to reflect his status as one of the Premier League’s leading forwards. At just 24 there is genuine excitement about the levels he can hit next year – and work will go into him in pre-season to eradicate some the fitness issues that prevented him from showing his best in the Champions League campaign.

Elsewhere, the word is we should prepare for “surprises”. The club’s front-line targets – it has been suggested – are yet to emerge in public and their apparent willingness to work on a deal for Aaron Ramsdale suggests Newcastle could yet confound.

On the face of it, that deal makes little sense given the high regard they have for Nick Pope. Arming Arsenal with funds also bolsters their confidence in doing a deal for Guimaraes, but if Newcastle have to be bold this summer rather than cautious, perhaps challenging orthodox thinking is going to become a theme.

The uncertainty around Newcastle even extends to whether they will be playing in Europe next season. After a difficult final week of the season the Magpies rallied on Sunday to fulfil their part of the bargain with a win at Brentford but are now relying on Manchester City to complete the double to book a second successive season of European football.

There would be real enthusiasm about a campaign in the Europa Conference League next season on Tyneside but financially speaking, the benefits are fairly negligible. A modest uplift in their sponsorship deals thanks to clauses negotiated with Sela and Adidas are probably the best they can hope for, along with seven-figure gate receipts for home games.

“Conference League football isn’t really worth it from a financial point of view, perhaps until you get to the semi-finals the prize money on offer is relatively modest,” football finance expert Kieran Maguire told i.

"However that’s ignoring the fact that should Newcastle qualify they will have a minimum of four, potentially five, home games which will be worth – realistically – £1m to £2m in terms of gate receipts. And there also could be step ups from sponsors.”

For Newcastle it is more about prestige, growing used to the rhythm of midweek games and establishing themselves as regular fixtures in European competition. Plus – as one insider pointed out correctly – “it’s a competition we feel could win”. That counts for something, even in a Premier League ecosystem dominated by financial equations.

Edited by The Prophet

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

I also have "connections" (loosely) with Man City. He was going to be spending more time with the Man City first team this upcoming season. Pep rated him extremely highly. 

He's miles above the level he's played this season. I really like Sanusi too, think he'll be on the fringes.

I see that move as trying to snap up a "Cole Palmer" type signing (since he's a popular drum to beat this season), without the significant fee that Chelsea had to pay. Until our own academy starts producing talents, it's going to take an element of gambling on prospects that we can poach from elsewhere for low outlay. If we end up in the ECL, it can provide a great route for some of the brighter lights that we have in our youth to get meaningful game time and kick on.

57 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

When he signed I'm sure there was an interview where he said he wanted greater assurances of a pathway to the first team, and that was a big part of why he decided to move to Newcastle.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

That's an interesting insight from Waugh. I do hope we haven't ruled out signing players who are shit and old, however. 

:lol: 

Have we been linked to Guirassy at all? Could be a good replacement for Wilson at a similar price to what I think we could get for Wilson. Although you would imagine he would have some good options where he would be the main man, not second fiddle to Isak. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

On the face of it, that deal makes little sense given the high regard they have for Nick Pope. Arming Arsenal with funds also bolsters their confidence in doing a deal for Guimaraes, but if Newcastle have to be bold this summer rather than cautious, perhaps challenging orthodox thinking is going to become a theme.

I'm going to stick my hand in this fire. It's not stupid, I'm "challenging orthodox thinking"...

24 minutes ago, KaKa said:

When he signed I'm sure there was an interview where he said he wanted greater assurances of a pathway to the first team, and that was a big part of why he decided to move to Newcastle.

I want a pathway to a pl first team too. If no one else offered me a contract it still doesn’t mean I’m going to be good.

25 minutes ago, Vaj said:

Have we been linked to Guirassy at all? Could be a good replacement for Wilson at a similar price to what I think we could get for Wilson. Although you would imagine he would have some good options where he would be the main man, not second fiddle to Isak. 

I've seen Craig Hope say we've scouted him this season, though given his crazy start to the year I imagine everyone scouted him. I haven't seen anything more concrete than that.

Posted (edited)

Tremendous false economy saving 20 million on a bloke who has the attention span of a pea, this Gio looks like he has cat like reflexes and real presence.

Cant underestimate the value of a top keeper well worth the investment.

Edited by Whitley mag