NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

5 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I recall seeing Isak absolutely tear it up in one game at the Euros, with Gary Linekar absolutely gushing. I don’t ever remember seeing Bryan Mbuemo having that impact on any game.

I see Mbuemo as a decent premier league player who will start in a mid to lower level team, not one to make the leap to the top. This isn’t fantasy football picking up a cheap player for 5m to score a few points as substitute when the first choice is missing a game.

like I said originally if we sign him, I support him and want him to do well. I want my gut feeling to be wrong. However if he signs, I think we are collectively crying out for a new right winger inside 6 months as he is levels below the remainder of our first choice front six.

Gordon Isak Mbuemo

Joelinton Bruno Tonali

if you all think he is that level, fair play. I see him as a a Ruel Fox.

The exact same thing was being said about Gordon, actually, even worse!

All of our best signings have been based on play style and how that fits into our system, which then maximises the players potential.

Mbeumo has been close to double figures in both goals and assists the last two seasons, in a lesser Brentford side. 

Based on how his play style lines up with our system, the upgrade would be massive.

I had a look on a Brentford forum to see what they thought and they love him. Think he's very underrated in wider media. He works hard defensively, and apart from his injury this year has basically been indestructable. He's not traditionally been particulary clinical in front of goal - has scord 17 non-penalty goals in the last 3 years and they say he can miss easy chances.

We're not shopping at Man City levels overall no, but most of their squad was bought in the 40-60 million range, our biggest signings each year are in that range. When City wanted a winger last year they got Doku for 55 million. If we're spending 50million + on Mbeumo, we're in that ballpark.

I think he'd be at least a good, pretty low risk upgrade. But for 50 million plus, that's star player money (for us). Would he be one of our real stars? I dunno, haven't seen enough of him to know, but his stats are a bit weird in places - his passing stats are quite poor, miscontrols and gets disposessed a lot etc.

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The exact same thing was being said about Gordon, actually, even worse!

All of our best signings have been based on play style and how that fits into our system, which then maximises the players potential.

Mbeumo has been close to double figures in both goals and assists the last two seasons, in a lesser Brentford side. 

Based on how his play style lines up with our system, the upgrade would be massive.

I just don’t think he is at the level of Bruno, Isak and Gordon, who are likely ambitious and able to play at a higher level. Would they wish to stick around if our major upgrade this summer is Mbuemo.

We would be allocating a massive portion of our budget to fix the weakest part of our squad, but it would probably still be one of the weakest parts of the team requiring another upgrade. I don’t think he is clinical enough in front of goal, and I don’t see how he helps us become more possession based and overcome low blocks which has been an issue when lesser teams sit back.

Agree he is an improvement in transition and counter attacks on our current right wingers, but that style doesn’t work against every one.

I don’t really want to keep justifying why I don’t think he is the right signing, I’m not a scout and I don’t have access to data, just the eye test from watching games, where I am quite impressed, but not overly excited about for us. So let’s just leave it at that.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Checko said:

I had a look on a Brentford forum to see what they thought and they love him. Think he's very underrated in wider media. He works hard defensively, and apart from his injury this year has basically been indestructable. He's not traditionally been particulary clinical in front of goal - has scord 17 non-penalty goals in the last 3 years and they say he can miss easy chances.

We're not shopping at Man City levels overall no, but most of their squad was bought in the 40-60 million range, our biggest signings each year are in that range. When City wanted a winger last year they got Doku for 55 million. If we're spending 50million + on Mbeumo, we're in that ballpark.

I think he'd be at least a good, pretty low risk upgrade. But for 50 million plus, that's star player money (for us). Would he be one of our real stars? I dunno, haven't seen enough of him to know, but his stats are a bit weird in places - his passing stats are quite poor, miscontrols and gets disposessed a lot etc.

Well Gordon is a star player for us.

If you looked at his Everton numbers I'm sure you'll find they were nowhere near Mbeumo's.

From your description off the Brentford forum, it reads a lot like Sadio Mane. Never the silkiest technically, and thetefore prone to some mishits and missed passes, but the work rate, physicality, pace and relentlessness leads to high production.

Edited by KaKa

3 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I just don’t think he is at the level of Bruno, Isak and Gordon, who are likely ambitious and able to play at a higher level. Would they wish to stick around if our major upgrade this summer is Mbuemo.

A right winger that got 9 goals and 6 assists in 25 league games last season, and 9 goals and 8 assists in 37 league games the season before? I would imagine so, yes!

Funny that you rate Gordon now, but based on your analysis of Mbeumo, I'm sure you didn't rate the signing at the time. And yet, here we are.

I'm not against Mbuemo but surely with the constant noises around restricted spends, we can find some better value abroad? Seems steep to me at the prices quoted.

Just now, Pilko said:

I'm not against Mbuemo but surely with the constant noises around restricted spends, we can find some better value abroad? Seems steep to me at the prices quoted.

Aye, we probably need to take a couple more risks. Nickson clearly has an eye for a player.

1 hour ago, Pablo said:

I recall seeing Isak absolutely tear it up in one game at the Euros, with Gary Linekar absolutely gushing. I don’t ever remember seeing Bryan Mbuemo having that impact on any game.

I see Mbuemo as a decent premier league player who will start in a mid to lower level team, not one to make the leap to the top. This isn’t fantasy football picking up a cheap player for 5m to score a few points as substitute when the first choice is missing a game.

like I said originally if we sign him, I support him and want him to do well. I want my gut feeling to be wrong. However if he signs, I think we are collectively crying out for a new right winger inside 6 months as he is levels below the remainder of our first choice front six.

Gordon Isak Mbuemo

Joelinton Bruno Tonali

if you all think he is that level, fair play. I see him as a a Ruel Fox.

Well as others have asked how often have you seen him play? I’m also wondering how often you’ve watched us play as I can think of a few matches against us, where Mbuemo has run us ragged, the first hour of the game at their place last season for one.

Ive said this before and I’ll reiterate it again, those making recruitment decisions at the club have generated enough good will that they know how to spot players that will elevate our first 11. With the exception of Wood, who was bought as much to weaken a rival as strengthen us (Although he still did do a job for us for those 12 months) I wouldn’t say they’ve bought badly at all. You could argue they might’ve prioritised the here and now rather than the future last summer, but it’s too early to call the wisdom of that currently.

Basically, I’m saying those making recruitment decisions at the club, have proven more knowledgable than know-it-alls on internet forums (myself included), if they’ve identified Mbuemo and we sign him, I trust them enough to think he’s the best option that they can realistically obtain this summer.

43 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Well Gordon is a star player for us.

If you looked at his Everton numbers I'm sure you'll find they were nowhere near Mbeumo's.

From your description off the Brentford forum, it reads a lot like Sadio Mane. Never the silkiest technically, and thetefore prone to some mishits and missed passes, but the work rate, physicality, pace and relentlessness leads to high production.

445040D1-AD3F-498E-A4E9-729DEEC1D24E.jpeg

37 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Aye, we probably need to take a couple more risks. Nickson clearly has an eye for a player.

The problem is the prices I’ve seen quoted for up and coming wingers/wide forwards in the likes of Bakayoko, Soule, or Doue seem to be almost as high or at a similar level tbh. 

16 minutes ago, huss9 said:

just trust Eddie's judgement.

if he rates mbuemo, then i want him.

Gotta agree. And they’ll know what’s too much, FFP wise, more than we ever will. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Gotta agree. And they’ll know what’s too much, FFP wise, more than we ever will. 

Too much of that sort of thinking and the footy section will be back to 3 or 4 posts a day.

Edited by madras

3 hours ago, Pilko said:

Howe puts a lot of stock in having done it in the PL going from his own words. As you say though, much better value abroad. Isak, Bruno and Botman for a combined £130m or thereabouts is absolutely outrageous. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Pablo said:

Mbeumo = Ruel Fox. Looking back a player I liked, but who was limited in where he could take us.

Could also easily be a Mane type signing. 

Also, I'd happily take a Ruel Fox type again. Only three Newcastle players have scored 10 goals and 10 assists in the Premier League; Gordon, Cole and Fox. 

Edited by macphisto

12 hours ago, KaKa said:

Brentford are asking £50 million for Mbeumo. 24 years old, 18 goals and 15 assists in the Prem the last two seasons. Not too crazy. Can probably bring that down to £40 million with the rest in add ons.

Some interesting quotes of his I stumbled on earlier today. Seems to have the kind of mindset that really fits into what we do.

"I have qualities that I have not yet fully exploited," Mbeumo continued. "In the last action too, I must be even more killer, more decisive. I also know how important it is to work off the pitch.

"I set up programs with a sports coach. I am following a virtual reality program that allows me to improve my cognitive abilities. You have to be ready for the future."

I’d love to sign him. He works his socks off, is class and still has loads of headroom to improve.

He feels like he could be a Jota from Wolves to Liverpool or Trossard from Brighton to Arsenal level signing. Probably a different sort of player but could definitely see him being good enough for a starting place at least for a year, then a good squad option afterwards. 

15 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He feels like he could be a Jota from Wolves to Liverpool or Trossard from Brighton to Arsenal level signing. Probably a different sort of player but could definitely see him being good enough for a starting place at least for a year, then a good squad option afterwards. 

The fact he can cover RW and striker is key as well. Think he’ll be very good for us if it happens.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Nothing new really, other than we need to sell before June 30th. 

Not sure who we could get money for before that deadline other than someone we really don’t want to flog. 

10 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Not sure who we could get money for before that deadline other than someone we really don’t want to flog. 

I'd imagine we'll be hawking players to Saudi pretty aggressively.