NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Be interesting to know Chelsea fans thoughts on him.

If was us he’d turned down there’d definitely be a few with the attitude of ‘if he didn’t want to sign last season he can fuck off’.

His obvious quality is probably enough to outweigh that attitude though.

Pretty obvious why Chelsea are a draw to players - they win stuff and tend to play in the CL.

I imagine they say to players “ Yes we’ve had a bad season, but we will spend again to get back up- and you’re part of that”

Chelsea are going to be a force next season. Their squad and team will become more settled and they are unlikely to have such bad injury problems again.

I still think it’s worth hanging in there for Olise, but it’s low odds. After June time to move onto other targets

Edited by WilliamPS

16 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

Pretty obvious why Chelsea are a draw to players - they win stuff and tend to play in the CL.

I imagine they say to players “ Yes we’ve had a bad season, but we will spend again to get back up- and you’re part of that”

Chelsea are going to be a force next season. Their squad and team will become more settled and they are unlikely to have such bad injury problems again.

I still think it’s worth hanging in there for Olise, but it’s low odds. After June time to move onto other targets

Hmmm they’ve sacked a manager who made them functional to get one in with a completely different style of play. They’ll be alright but unsure if more settled is correct.

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

I think this is harsh, ultimately Chelsea are investing more than clubs around them paying higher salaries and have been successful over the last 20 years. 

We all love to laugh at them but they have a lot of talented players who will improve under the right guidance. 

Are you saying they are a stable club where he can flourish? 

Because from where I’m sitting all they seem to be able to offer him is no need to relocate and more money. There’s zero player development going on there because there isn’t a managerial structure to allow that to happen. 

Bias aside, if I’m a serious young footballer in the Anthony Gordon mould I am 100% looking at Newcastles player development record over the last 3 years and picking them over Chelsea. 

1 minute ago, BennyBlanco said:

Because from where I’m sitting all they seem to be able to offer him is no need to relocate and more money. There’s zero player development going on there because there isn’t a managerial structure to allow that to happen. 

Bias aside, if I’m a serious young footballer in the Anthony Gordon mould I am 100% looking at Newcastles player development record over the last 3 years and picking them over Chelsea. 

They’ve never been stable yet they’ve been successful in the past without said stability. No player development? Kindly explain palmers rise? I think Gordon had a better season than Palmer but who is more hyped? Who is playing in Europe next season?

I think Chelsea’s ownership have made an absolute litany of mistakes but one thing they’ve displayed is ambition and a willingness to be absolutely ruthless in pursuit of the goals they have. 

despite what you may think, staying in London getting paid more and European football next season is a very attractive prospect, ask Tosin. 

2 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

There’s issues there obviously, but they’d just point to Cole Palmer to refute the zero player development argument.

I think players tend to give themselves credit for their development tbh. I could see Man City being interested if he waits for a year, but it all depends on what he wants. I don’t give us much chance and I expect we’re banking on someone else.

Edited by Kimbo

20 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

They’ve never been stable yet they’ve been successful in the past without said stability. No player development? Kindly explain palmers rise? I think Gordon had a better season than Palmer but who is more hyped? Who is playing in Europe next season?

I think Chelsea’s ownership have made an absolute litany of mistakes but one thing they’ve displayed is ambition and a willingness to be absolutely ruthless in pursuit of the goals they have. 

despite what you may think, staying in London getting paid more and European football next season is a very attractive prospect, ask Tosin. 

I mean if one swallow makes a summer for you then fair do’s mate. I mean we could equally point out to Joelintons transformation under Howe, Gordon’s rise, Almirons transformation from totally fucking useless to his great season before last, Lewis Miley. 

But yeah. Palmer, who was already great, just couldn’t get into the city side, is a mint example of player development at Chelsea.

I dunno if being “ruthless” is quite the sell to a player in terms of being a stable environment to harness a players talent and ambition. “Look at all the fucking off we do and the squad/management turnover rate. . . “.

Also I believe I agreed with you in regards to location and the financial package that Chelsea can offer so that point is a bit mute.

Edited by BennyBlanco

3 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

I mean if one swallow makes a summer for you then fair do’s mate. I mean we could equally point out to Joelintons transformation under Howe, Gordon’s rise, Almirons transformation from totally fucking useless to his great season before last, Lewis Miley. 

But yeah. Palmer, who was already great, just couldn’t get into the city side, is a mint example of player development at Chelsea.

Also I believe I agreed with you in regards to location and the financial package that Chelsea can offer so that point is a bit mute.

Your one swallow point is interesting, in that Chelsea are one of the most successful clubs over the last 20 years? Where as we are also rans over that period. 

I wouldn’t knock Olise for choosing them in the same way I didn’t knock Tosin to me; it’s totally understandable and a logical choice for them. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Your one swallow point is interesting, in that Chelsea are one of the most successful clubs over the last 20 years? Where as we are also rans over that period. 

I wouldn’t knock Olise for choosing them in the same way I didn’t knock Tosin to me; it’s totally understandable and a logical choice for them. 

That comment was in regards to successful player development pal. I’m well aware of the success they’ve had but I can’t think of many young players they’ve fully developed or transformed to the rate of success Howe has had recently. That’s my overall point - I think he’d benefit much more from Howes management and guidance than he would at Chelsea. We could pretty much guarantee him first team football and a star role at a club that’s definitely on the ascendancy.

4 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

That comment was in regards to successful player development pal. I’m well aware of the success they’ve had but I can’t think of many young players they’ve fully developed or transformed to the rate of success Howe has had recently. That’s my overall point - I think he’d benefit much more from Howes management and guidance than he would at Chelsea. We could pretty much guarantee him first team football and a star role at a club that’s definitely on the ascendancy.

I hear you, my point was a wider one on why Chelsea may be more attractive overall given the recent success they’ve had. 

As others have pointed out, players do back themselves to do well so the Inexperience of the manager maybe a lesser concern, that tied in with the fact the manager will be binned if he fails makes it less of a concern. 

I think ultimately with the rules as they are today Chelsea have a higher ceiling than us sadly it’s why I’m crossing my fingers and hope city tear down RPT rules as this would be present us with the opportunity needed to bridge the gap. 

Who care, it's pointless judging players for the decisions they make. If he wants to come here, amazing. If not, fine. 

As a fan I see Chelsea as a very dodgy club but they're not offering me unlimited wealth to play football for them.

Yeah they're very successful when they were under abramovich. Boehly just just hires flavour of the month managers I wouldn't be surprised if after a few bad games he's on the lookout again for another. No progress can be made under that heirachy. Poch got them finally resembling a football team again and he got the boot. It seems anyone is for sale under him aswell fuck what the manager thinks. 

40 minutes ago, SteV said:

There’s issues there obviously, but they’d just point to Cole Palmer to refute the zero player development argument.

They did nothing to develop Palmer. They signed him as they needed a player in that position and no doubt promised him a first team opportunity to sign him. 

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

They did nothing to develop Palmer. They signed him as they needed a player in that position and no doubt promised him a first team opportunity to sign him. 

Harsh assessment IMO. 

He never displayed anything like this level of ability in his (admittedly extremely limited) appearances for Man City.

Whether that development has come from just being allowed to play and being given a level of trust/confidence he never had before, is possible, but his game has clearly developed significantly this last season.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Harsh assessment IMO. 

He never displayed anything like this level of ability in his (admittedly extremely limited) appearances for Man City.

Whether that development has come from just being allowed to play and being given a level of trust/confidence he never had before, is possible, but his game has clearly developed significantly this last season.

They needed a player and saw something in him (unsurprisingly). Credit due for that (though let’s face it they sign enough players to increase the odds of making the occasion great choice). But I give them zero credit for ‘developing’ him. 

5 hours ago, SteV said:

Exactly. They finished sixth last season. Presumably they’ll be able to chuck more money at it again this season. Hardly unreasonable to hold the view that they’ll be back in the CL again after this coming season.

They’ve hired an absolute melt of a manager. More chance of them falling back to mid table then be UCL. Palmer silly output really pushed them up to a false position. 

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m not sure Palmer developed mind, he just played rather than not playing before. Depends on what environment you like I guess. 

Players mostly want to play for the top clubs, for their own careers, and obviously because they will get paid the top rate as well. There's nothing wrong with it, it's why players will choose us over Burnley or Everton at the moment as well.

One of the reasons I never get invested in rumours about players like Olise or Osimhen for that matter, if there's other mega clubs sniffing around, they'll probably go there. Right now we aren't in a position to match their offers.

35 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

They’ve hired an absolute melt of a manager. More chance of them falling back to mid table then be UCL. Palmer silly output really pushed them up to a false position. 

I’d love to think you’re right.

Just not sure how anyone can speak with conviction either way?

Ousmane Diomande talk is lingering.

Encouragingly all the other suitors previously mentioned, seem to be looking elsewhere, and no longer mentioned as much.

Apparently he wasn't as strong second half of the season after returning from AFCON, which may have worked in our favour, as far as other interest and his price subsequently dropping some.

Sporting apparently open to accepting somewhere around £40 million.

From what I've seen he's a bit of a beast defensively, and very very aggressive. To the point I think he needs to tone it down. Gets very handsy and fouls a lot. Unreal talent for his age though.