NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

A bit surprised. People were shitting it that we'd lose Isak, Bruno, Gordon when we didn't get to europe. By the looks of it we are now keeping all our key players, have added Kelly, signed Hall permanently and some underwhelming keepers in. Yet there are so many that are miserable that we haven't solved all of our problems.....?

If we manage to get a decent right winger in I'd say we've had a pretty good window.

If we manage to get a decent CB on top of that we've had a great window.

If we manage to get a striker in on top of that again it's 10/10 for me.

Without anything more happening I'd still say we've got a team we should expect to compete for top 6 unless we have an even worse injury crisis than last season.

23 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

Shite this window like. Not normally a doom and gloom merchant but fuck me what are we doing 

Waiting for the players that we want which we think will improve the first eleven come available at the prices & wages we can afford.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

2 hours ago, gdm said:

We got him 24th July which is still plenty of time. He got in most of pre season. ASM left a year ago today 

Season started a week earlier. He only had one game in USA plus the Sela Cup. 

There also wasn't a summer tournament last year so I'm assuming most of the first-team squad were back training earlier too. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Waiting for the players that we want which we think will improve the first eleven come available at the prices & wages we can afford.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

I'm just frustrated watching the likes of Villa and Man Utd strengthen, who are our direct rivals. 

Cheers for the condescending reply though 

16 minutes ago, Conjo said:

A bit surprised. People were shitting it that we'd lose Isak, Bruno, Gordon when we didn't get to europe. By the looks of it we are now keeping all our key players, have added Kelly, signed Hall permanently and some underwhelming keepers in. Yet there are so many that are miserable that we haven't solved all of our problems.....?

If we manage to get a decent right winger in I'd say we've had a pretty good window.

Without anything more happening I'd still say we've got a team we should expect to compete for top 6 unless we have an even worse injury crisis than last season.

Also Livramento 2nd season, Gordon and Isak will continue to get better, Tonali back.

Still think we will get a RW and CB but waiting for market to free up a bit. Still expect Dubravka, Trippier and 1 other to probably leave and probably another Minteh type signing. 2 players in right positions makes squad much stronger and with no Europe hopefully less impact from injuries etc.

Despite the moaning about transfers, I do think it will be an epic season - last season the adversity will have really taught a lot and with a much easier schedule, I honestly think it could be a Leicester City 2016 type of season

29 minutes ago, Stal said:

Quiet or not, it's still a better feeling that when that parasite owned the club.

This isn't any real barometer to set expectations by though. He's long gone, and people are well within their rights to opine that this summer has been a bit of a shit show so far

This was always going to be a tough window after the season we had last year. We’ve probably lost out on a few bonus payments from sponsors due to not getting Europe and as we all know had to scramble around to sort out the PSR situation. 

That said though - questions do have to be asked about how it got to this - the rules have been in place for a while now and we have known about the losses in previous seasons. We must have planned something else that went tits up along the way. 

I have a lot of faith in our executive team and management team but it seems to me that some rather difficult decisions will have to be made soon (and I don’t count selling Anderson or Minteh as that (as sad as it is selling young players)). If we want to do serious business we will have to get rid of a couple of favorites I presume (Tripps and Miggy perhaps). 

We do have the foundation of a really good team though - but in my opinion we don’t really have the depth for a charge on three fronts unless we stay absolutely injury free which won’t happen. If the situation gets as bad as it did last season it’s really not bad luck either in my opinion.

Hopefully we get a RW and a CB in before closing of the window - I keep banging the Kulusevski drum but I think he’d fit in perfectly for a reasonable outlay as well. 

21 minutes ago, gdm said:

It’s not just Newcastle very little business getting done across the board. It’ll be a mad last few weeks 

Football behaves like a very amateur industry sometimes. Leaving all the deals until so close to the deadline is mad. 

The fact you can advertise deadline day as an entertainment event shows how crazy everyone’s behaviour is. 

2 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

I'm just frustrated watching the likes of Villa and Man Utd strengthen, who are our direct rivals. 

Villa have Champions League but have had to sell some big players and youngsters to get wiggle room... Can you imagine the forum if we sold the likes of Diaz or Diaby (Bruno/Gordon).

Man U always spend big... Mostly on the wrong players but they have such vast turnover compared to us.

I'm more frustrated about our commerical deals / turnover not moving quicker because the fact we had to sell players shows that we will spend the money when we physically can.

13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Season started a week earlier. He only had one game in USA plus the Sela Cup. 

There also wasn't a summer tournament last year so I'm assuming most of the first-team squad were back training earlier too. 

I’m still not sure how it hampered him? He scored in first game of season and sure he got an assist too and was playing fine until his injury. A freak injury hampered him that’s all 

Goes under the radar keeping Bruno, Isak and Gordon. That itself shows we're a club on the up.

The panic to not have a shiny new toy in already is a bit OTT in my opinion. 

We've got a squad capable of competing for top 4 and have no Europe this season so playing that Howe intensity should be more recognisable again compared to last season when the players looked visibly nackered.

Add in Tonali return, Lloyd Kelly adding depth, Lewis Hall perm getting done I think the club are well within their rights to bide their time and land the correct RW/RCB to fit our squad harmony as well as being first 11 quality.

Personally, I'll assess the window at 1st September.

17 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

Don’t spit your dummy out when we’re still in July and you won’t get condescending replies [emoji38]

Just now, The College Dropout said:

At the beginning of the window we wanted RW, CB, CB/LB, ST. 

We’ve signed 1 of them. 

Thats why people are disappointed. 

And that was before Wilson got injured again........

45 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Top four is my prediction.

27 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Despite the moaning about transfers, I do think it will be an epic season - last season the adversity will have really taught a lot and with a much easier schedule, I honestly think it could be a Leicester City 2016 type of season

We’re only a couple of injuries away from being on the bones of our arse again. Especially up top and at center half.