NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

At the beginning of the window we wanted RW, CB, CB/LB, ST. 

We’ve signed 1 of them. 

Thats why people are disappointed. 

I'm not going to disagree that it matches my own wishlist but maybe in reality we are looking to sell a  miggy, Wilson or trippier before we buy a replacement in their position.

If we went out and bought their replacements now and didn't manage to sell them.. it increases the chances of selling Bruno, Gordon to clear FFP challenge next year.

Aye, the restructuring, coupled with Mitchell's focus on recruitment always meant that whatever transfer plans Howe and Nixon had drawn would be put on hold. It's very frustrating but we should be patient.

We have the money to react and we will improve the team in August - it's not that hard to sign a better winger than Miggy, there are at least 30-40 players who are proven in a top league and are attainable. The intriguing question for me is what type of player are we looking for that position - winger/inside forward/ wide playmaker..

CB should also be fairly easy to strengthen with a better player than Thiaw

Edited by junkhead

1 hour ago, Max Cherry said:

Shite this window like. Not normally a doom and gloom merchant but fuck me what are we doing 

Maybe console yourself with the belief that we will be doing lots. Just frustrating that it is to no major benefit as yet. 

Current squad, if it stays relatively injury free, finishes in a CL spot IMHO. I'm not even that fussed about any signings, though there are a couple of obvious shortcomings in the starting eleven and squad. 

18 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

I'm not going to disagree that it matches my own wishlist but maybe in reality we are looking to sell a  miggy, Wilson or trippier before we buy a replacement in their position.

If we went out and bought their replacements now and didn't manage to sell them.. it increases the chances of selling Bruno, Gordon to clear FFP challenge next year.

I full agree. That’s my expectation.  But I understand why ppl are frustrated.  

11 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Current squad, if it stays relatively injury free, finishes in a CL spot IMHO. I'm not even that fussed about any signings, though there are a couple of obvious shortcomings in the starting eleven and squad. 

That's like saying as long as Wilson goes through the season injury free we are qualifying for the CL.

35 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

At the beginning of the window we wanted RW, CB, CB/LB, ST. 

We’ve signed 1 of them. 

Thats why people are disappointed. 

Maybe the club didn't.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

That's like saying as long as Wilson goes through the season injury free we are qualifying for the CL.

I wanted to sympathise with @Nobody's post, but yeah I had a similar thought :lol: The 'if' is gigantic.

Every window all we got was ffp from howe so fuck knows how we went over the top. 

I still think miggy and trips should've been sold in January,now we've got miggy basically happy to sit out his contract and trips probably leaving for a pittance. 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

Every window all we got was ffp from howe so fuck knows how we went over the top. 

I still think miggy and trips should've been sold in January,now we've got miggy basically happy to sit out his contract and trips probably leaving for a pittance. 

Even flogging them both in January wouldn’t have been enough to cover the shortfall. 

3 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

So what you said was wrong :lol:

Only if you're pedantic like. :lol:

Was well documented that we could only buy new players if someone left, we couldn't sign Barnes and Livramento until we had a buyer. 

This was before we signed Barnes, we'd not have bought unless we were certain Maxi was going.

Screenshot_20240730-115042.png

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

I sort of agree, but we'd make for an incredibly rare case of a team not strengthening and then doing anything other than standing still or going backwards. 

I would take it and hedge our bets if the alternative meant selling one of our Bruno, Isak or Gordon. 

9 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Great news, at least the youth stuff is constantly promising 

Yeah, it gives a lot of hope for the future. 5 years from now will hopefully be quite a different picture for the club.

2 hours ago, Max Cherry said:

I'm just frustrated watching the likes of Villa and Man Utd strengthen, who are our direct rivals. 

Cheers for the condescending reply though 

More frustration than condescension 👍🏻

They both spent a lot of money but not sure either are much stronger if at all for it. None of them have bought anyone I would say we are the other top teams were clamouring for. Time will tell though.

Going forward all the windows will be like this as the stronger our first eleven get the harder it is to find improvements. Especially ones that will justify certain layouts.

We are clearly being choked financially by the rules whereas Man Utd and Villa have more wriggle room due to Grealish etc sales and vast sponsorship income.

Judge the window when it closes. It’s the only way.

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I sort of agree, but we'd make for an incredibly rare case of a team not strengthening and then doing anything other than standing still or going backwards. 

I would take it and hedge our bets if the alternative meant selling one of our Bruno, Isak or Gordon. 

I think the two key clauses in the idea are the lack of injuries and Europe. Especially Tonali, but also Pope and dare I say Hall really are going to be like new signings for us.

Throw in a hugely reduced workload versus our core competitors and it starts to look interesting.

But RW and lack of back up up front (Wilson barely counts) leaves us very vulnerable.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Maybe the club didn't.

That’s fine. But ppl can be disappointed. 

Im personally happy to keep Wilson. Just get me a quality RW and CB and I’m happy.  

There’s something deeply wrong if they don’t want those 2 positions btw. We lack quality and depth in those positions.