NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

33 minutes ago, gdm said:

I think if we don’t sign a RW it’ll be the first time I’ll be really disappointed in the club transfer wise since the takeover. 

We’ve needed an upgrade to RW for years. We’ve sold Minteh and by all accounts RW is one of key areas EH wants to strengthen yet at the same time we gave Miggy a new 3 and half year contract last year. 

im not getting in to PSR coz it’s boring but 2 reserve keepers, a free transfer, a £10m striker and albeit a good centre half would still be an underwhelming and failure of a window 

I know what you mean but I would still believe that they just couldn’t find the right fit at the right price. Whether that means failure or not I dunno, I guess in terms of pure results it does. But I wouldn’t hammer the club or owt. 

I think we’ll get someone in anyway. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I don’t think we get top four without a new starting RW.

This line of thought is always so wild to me. We got top four with our current options two seasons ago. :lol: 

That being said, I do think it is clearly a position we need a massive upgrade in and I am hoping for one.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I know what you mean but I would still believe that they just couldn’t find the right fit at the right price. Whether that means failure or not I dunno, I guess in terms of pure results it does. But I wouldn’t hammer the club or owt. 

I think we’ll get someone in anyway. 

If we don't get a RW in this summer I'd be really curious to see what would happen in January with us challenging top four and players with clubs dropping out of the CL/Europe and looking for a change of scenery. That might be the time to strike a really good deal.

6 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

This line of thought is always so wild to me. We got top four with our current options two seasons ago. :lol: 

2 seasons ago - where Almiron was in the form of his life. I’ll be amazed if he ever gets close to having a season like that again.  We were 7th last season and every other top 6/7 teams are strengthening. It’s hardly that wild a line of thinking. RW is absolutely our weak link 

Edited by gdm

33 minutes ago, gdm said:

I think if we don’t sign a RW it’ll be the first time I’ll be really disappointed in the club transfer wise since the takeover. 

We’ve needed an upgrade to RW for years. We’ve sold Minteh and by all accounts RW is one of key areas EH wants to strengthen yet at the same time we gave Miggy a new 3 and half year contract last year. 

im not getting in to PSR coz it’s boring but 2 reserve keepers, a free transfer, a £10m striker and albeit a good centre half would still be an underwhelming and failure of a window 

You can’t look at the transfer window in isolation from financial regulations. It’s like being disappointed your dad only get you a bicycle for Christmas and ignoring the fact he’s lost his job.  

We’ve not played the Miggy situation smartly.  He’s every right to sit on his contract that the new regime gave him.  We could do a madness and force him out but that’s ugly. And it’s a self made problem. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I would’ve thought there’s a market for Miggy outside of Saudi. Not at the same fee maybe, but enough to move him somewhere he’s happy to be. 

Out of interest, what market are you thinking ?

6 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

That being said, I do think it is clearly a position we need a massive upgrade in and I am hoping for one.

I think we can all agree Almiron will never have another purple patch for us like the one he had that season. The analysts did their homework, figured out what we were doing, and Miggy has been back to his old self since. Unless he finds a new edge to his game, his course is run. So we’re relying on Murphy.

I’m not saying top 4 isn’t possible, but it is improbable. 

41 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Cant blame Almiron for our PSR problems. That is wild :lol:. Only to blame is they who are in charge.

Well no, the footballing authorities are responsible for PSR, and shame on them. Every boring thread on this forum is ultimately their fault.

But operating within that, he's had a yes/no choice on helping the club and being given tonnes of money for the privilege - beyond his value as a footballer - and chose no.

Bosman transfers are a knife in the heart of football clubs nowadays. That goes for Lloyd Kelly, Tosin Adarabioyo and anyone else, by the way. I don't expect Miggy to fully understand that, in fairness to him.

That all said, we clearly made a big mistake giving him a new contract instead of selling him after his hot streak season, so that is on NUFC. Have to admit at the time I imagined there would be a gentleman's agreement about him moving on before it ended, though.

Edited by 80

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I would’ve thought there’s a market for Miggy outside of Saudi. Not at the same fee maybe, but enough to move him somewhere he’s happy to be. 

Doubt there would be many realistic options outside of Saudi. Unless we're prepared to subsidise his wages.

Him and Wilson (esp. after the injury) will be hard to sell but I think there are clear signs that's the club's plan for them. Mitchell as an "outsider" can play the hard cop. I'm confident we'll sell them both this window.

Also the fact that Sean is still not being offered a new contract speaks for itself. I feel he might go towards the end of the window, although Eddie relies on him

Edited by junkhead

3 minutes ago, junkhead said:

Doubt there would be many realistic options outside of Saudi. Unless we're prepared to subsidise his wages.

Him and Wilson (esp. after the injury) will be hard to sell but I think there are clear signs that's the club's plan for them. Mitchell as an "outsider" can play the hard cop. I'm confident we'll sell them both this window.

Also the fact that Sean is still not being offered a new contract speaks for itself. I feel he might go towards the end of the window, although Eddie relies on him

If we got money for all three of them this summer I'd be absolutely over the moon.

Edit: Well, not Wilson now that we've committed to Osula. But in a perfect world.

Edited by 80

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You can’t look at the transfer window in isolation from financial regulations. It’s like being disappointed your dad only get you a bicycle for Christmas and ignoring the fact he’s lost his job.  

We’ve not played the Miggy situation smartly.  He’s every right to sit on his contract that the new regime gave him.  We could do a madness and force him out but that’s ugly. And it’s a self made problem. 

That’s my point questionable decisions have been made. Sacrificing Minteh, giving Almiron a 3 & half year contract last year

6 windows since the take over signed 4 goalkeepers, 2 left wingers, 2 right backs, 2 left backs (3 if you include burn) and it’ll be 4 centre halves (again which ever you regard burn to be) 3 strikers when Osula signs and the only position not to be strengthened since the takeover is right wing and it’s clear as day Almiron just isn’t good enough for a team looking at top 4

Edited by gdm

14 minutes ago, 80 said:

Well no, the footballing authorities are responsible for PSR, and shame on them. Every boring thread on this forum is ultimately their fault.

Still the club(s) job to follow them rules even if we like it or not.

Edited by nufc123

Yeah Wilson is not very realistic.. thought the Saudi window closes later but chances are he still won't be fit enough..

Too bad somebody like Spurs, Chelsea is not feeling adventurous.. he could do a job for them with their state of the art training grounds and medical departments... 

39 minutes ago, sempuki said:

Glad you are enjoying it. OK, I was whinging but it's been a let down until now. I used to check this thread numerous times during the day but not anymore. Not blaming the club at all but PSR has made it shite so far.

I neither enjoy or dislike them these days. Happy to wait until it's closed before making any judgement. Given the transfers we've made out of the blue over the last few years I just don't think it's worth worrying about every day. Plus I'm firmly #TeamMitchell, he knows what he's doing, as does Eddie, Nickson etc. If we don't sign anyone it definitely no longer feels like we haven't even tried, and we all know that all we ever wanted was a club that tries.... right?

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

The thing with Miggy is I think we can improve on him with a better offensive player quite easily, for quite cheap. Even if he stays on.

I'm seeing Rowe from Norwich and Whittaker from Plymouth Argyle being available for around £10 million. Their wages will be low too. Both looked really good in the Championship last season.

They are both young enough to then be backups in future, if they don't hit a high enough level, when we get round to shifting either Miggy or Murphy or both, and can then get a top right winger in.

Or is this not a smart way to go about things?

I like this idea 

RW is our weakest starting position and probably back up position too. Looking at LW with Barnes and Gordon, those 2 are quality to have in 1 position 

So if we can't get our no.1 / Olise level signing in, then surely we have an talented younger player with long term potential, who could also make a difference now seeing as Miggy/Murphy are quite poor