NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, Yorkie said:

Very glass half empty seeing as it was entirely plausible that we'd lose one of our big hitters. And on top of that we've improved the squad in both defence and at CF.

+ Tonali back

Joelinton, Willock and Barnes all back from longer term injuries.

Squad has definitely improved

3 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Season starting next week and we are going with pretty much the same team as year and no real improvements is not at all good planning if i am being honest.

I think its more nuanced than bad planning.

There are so many factors at play, finances, player availability, player desire, a new sporting director, boardroom/ownership changes and having to comply with PSR.

Lots of transfers are interlinked and only happen once another transfer has completed and with this in mind its been a slow market.

Plenty of time, we've not sold any major players and are obviously busy negotiating incomings.

Lets be positive.

6 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Season starting next week and we are going with pretty much the same team as year and no real improvements is not at all good planning if i am being honest.

Not really true.

There were areas last season were lack of depth was an issue:

LB/LCB - remember Dummetts cameos? Kelly now in to sort

GK - lack of depth was an issue here too, two new GKs in

Striker - Only two on the books and one has longstanding injury troubles, now a 3rd striker keen to improve and make an impact

The first 11 has not changed (yet!) but squad depth has. 

1 minute ago, HayDen Traces said:

I think its more nuanced than bad planning.

There are so many factors at play, finances, player availability, player desire, a new sporting director, boardroom/ownership changes and having to comply with PSR.

Lots of transfers are interlinked and only happen once another transfer has completed and with this in mind its been a slow market.

Plenty of time, we've not sold any major players and are obviously busy negotiating incomings.

Lets be positive.

Totally agree. You also have to factor in the number of players out of contract next summer, who could leave. We would need decent money available then to replace them.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Very glass half empty seeing as it was entirely plausible that we'd lose one of our big hitters. And on top of that we've improved the squad in both defence and at CF.

Think you’d struggle to find many fans that would suggest this window has been anything other than underwhelming (so far). yes we kept all our big hitters but most clubs around us have also kept theirs and are strengthening their squads. We have been told two key areas were identified RW & CH and we are 5 days from the first game and neither have been filled.

Not saying we won’t make signings but Iets not pretend it’s been a good window so far 

5 minutes ago, JP said:

+ Tonali back

Joelinton, Willock and Barnes all back from longer term injuries.

Squad has definitely improved

That’s not improvement they were all in the squad this time last season. 

7 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Can you post the article its behind a paywall 

Click into it, quickly quick the x button to cancel loading and then go into Reader mode and you should be able to view it.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Think you’d struggle to find many fans that would suggest this window has been anything other than underwhelming (so far). yes we kept all our big hitters but most clubs around us have also kept theirs and are strengthening their squads. We have been told two key areas were identified RW & CH and we are 5 days from the first game and neither have been filled.

Not saying we won’t make signings but Iets not pretend it’s been a good window so far 

Im coming round to the idea that we can “manage” the RW position with various options. It’s less than ideal but if Guehi signs that strengthens the team far more. I’m still pretty hopefully that before the end of the window we’ll have another RW option too though. 

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

Im coming round to the idea that we can “manage” the RW position with various options. It’s less than ideal but if Guehi signs that strengthens the team far more. I’m still pretty hopefully that before the end of the window we’ll have another RW option too though. 

im at the point where I’d accept Madueke just to have something different in that RW position 

33 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Because they probably need the income for PSR this year instead of next year. They’ve already brought in for 70m more than their outgoings and they’re still looking at a main striker apparently. Also you’d like to think they’re under scrutiny for the hotel and Chelsea women team sales already, so surely their bean counters will tell them to sell rather than loan with option/obligation.

Yes and no, one of Chelsea’s biggest upcoming issues will be the massive amortisation they will be carrying into the future having guaranteed incoming in the next financial year will be very beneficial for them. I don’t think such a deal is out of the question based upon our previous deal with them. 

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

It's pointless making any judgement at all unless it's critical to have all your recruitment done before the first game of the season. Even in that case there's a full working week before that actually comes around.

Just whinging for the sake of whinging imo. 

12 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Can you post the article its behind a paywall 

Newcastle hold ‘positive’ talks with Palace over £55m Guehi transfer

Newcastle want to sign Marc Guehi from Crystal Palace but the clubs still have a significant gap to cross in their valuation of the player

Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi is open to joining Newcastle this summer

By Mark Douglas

Northern Football Correspondent

August 12, 2024 6:00 am(Updated 7:57 am)

It was a suitably surreal note to end a strange summer for Newcastle United.

The sight of Kieran Trippier – whose Newcastle future remains unclear – sheepishly lifting the Sela Cup as a reward for beating French side Brest came after a close season of unexpected change at St James’ Park. 

The truth is uncertainty still stalks a club whose ambition is clipped by the Premier League’sprofitability and sustainability regulations (PSR).

The exit of co-owner Amanda Staveley, appointment of Paul Mitchell as director of football and a bruising dash to comply with PSR in June has shaken things up and the club is still working out how things will work this season. 

The concerns Eddie Howe spoke about in Germany have not yet gone 

And a subdued July means all eyes are now on how Mitchell operates in the final three weeks of the transfer window, with Newcastle set to be – in the words of one person familiar with plans – “very busy”.

Like it has for the rest of the Premier League, a flat summer market has changed things, reducing the scope to sell unwanted players and squeezing the margins.

“We thought the dominoes would start to fall, but it has just not happened. It’s been the most difficult summer I’ve ever known,” one Premier League executive told i late last week.

PSR remains a problem for the Magpies, with insiders telling i it reduces Newcastle’s capacity to buy game-changing players unless they sell. 

Their experience in June has clearly created new caution and they’re not getting any favours from Saudi Arabia or the PIF-owned clubs there, despite the links to Newcastle’s majority owners.

Howe says he now believes they will get one new player in – the original plan had been two and a young forward, who arrived last week in the shape of the promising William Osula – with Crystal Palace’s Marc Guehi the man in the spotlight.

Talks described as positive and optimistic have been taking place again in recent days to bridge a significant variation of as much as £10m in valuation.

Guehi helped Palace finish in the top half of the table last season (Photo: Getty)

If they meet in the middle at £55m with achievable add-ons, it feels likely to happen given Guehi’s interest in the move and personal terms as good as agreed. 

That Newcastle are prepared to pay a club record fee tells its own story. 

An injury to Fabian Schar, who limped off in the win against Brest with a twisted ankle not deemed to be serious, showed how precarious the situation is.

It all feels a far cry from those initial days when Newcastle were supposedly the richest club in the world. 

That was never the case – PIF are long-term investors and sources say they demand any money invested has to be done with a provable benefit down the line – but PSR has given Newcastle more than a few headaches.

Newcastle line up two key targets with 'talks ongoing' for £65m England star

Read More

“I’ve always said throughout my coaching career, money does not guarantee anything,” Howe said.

“My belief and philosophy has always been that it’s about the quality of your group, it’s about the unity you can generate. 

“It’s about having a never-say-die spirit and money doesn’t buy you those things, it’s work and interactions with the players and a really tight-knit group that does.

“Of course it’s nice to evolve your team and have the further resources which we can’t really utilise currently. But I wouldn’t change it. I think the position we’re in currently, we have to make the best of what we have and I guarantee you we will work towards that.”

It is far from doom and gloom, either. By virtue of players returning, they look stronger, with Sandro Tonali’s return in less than a month much anticipated by management.

They also had a big enough squad to be able to beat two Champions League-bound sides in 48 hours over the weekend, dispatching Girona on Friday before a less fluent defeat of Brest a day later. 

Harvey Barnes’ goal, cutting in from the left before dispatching beyond Marco Bizot, settled a game in which Osula showed some nice touches.

With fitness, one or two recruits and Howe at the peak of his game, they have the potential to challenge once more – provided they avoid off-field disruptions.

“I hope, whatever way we play, you will see a team that leaves it all out on the pitch next season,” Howe said.

Funny all those pointing out to incomings adding depth without pointing at outgoings weakening us in other positions (notably Andersen in central midfield and Minteh who would have been a RW option). All in all I'd say we've not moved the needle one way or another significantly yet. As long as our important players stay fit this season, and taking into account no Europe, we should already do better though.

Edited by Unbelievable

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

Funny all those pointing out to incomings adding depth without pointing at outgoings weakening us in other positions (notably Andersen in centrak midfield and Minteh who would have been a RW option). All in all I'd say we've not moved the needle one way or another significantly yet. As long as our important players stay fit this season, and taking into account no Europe, we should already do better though.

Our window hasn’t really started yet it’s true but we aren’t weaker having lost a 7th choice midfielder and a third choice right winger mind. 

Im not going to be celebrating keeping our best players either, last time I checked we weren’t Palace and Mike Ashley has long since gone. 

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Yes and no, one of Chelsea’s biggest upcoming issues will be the massive amortisation they will be carrying into the future having guaranteed incoming in the next financial year will be very beneficial for them. I don’t think such a deal is out of the question based upon our previous deal with them. 

They will need to plug gaps next year too, agreed, but their more urgent issue will be the massive gap they have to plug this year.

Squad has improved by the younger players being a year older and more mature, players fit, and Kelly in. 

But still it feels it lacks a top player or two, that give the squad that real quick and belief. One thing thinking we can get into top 6, and another thinking we have a genuine chance of top 4. The purple signings do that for me.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Our window hasn’t really started yet it’s true but we aren’t weaker having lost a 7th choice midfielder and a third choice right winger mind. 

Im not going to be celebrating keeping our best players either, last time I checked we weren’t Palace and Mike Ashley has long since gone. 

If we're stronger in CF (Osula) we're also weaker in CM (Andersen), because both those players are squad players who can be developed, as opposed to ready made first XI players. As for Minteh, he could have feasibly been our first XI right winger. Brighton seem to consider him theirs.

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

if someone is using the fact we’ve brought in 2 keepers, one that’ll never see the pitch as improving our squad then it’s valid that losing Anderson & Minteh weakens our squad. 

Well I'm making the (perhaps naive) assumption that we won't have the same injury problems as last season and if I'm correct, our squad has improved significantly without having to buy or sell anyone.

I'm also a believer that if you stand still, squad wise, you effectively go backwards. So in that regard, we do need to make suitable additions.

Whatever happens, we are in good hands, with competent, ambitious owners and I won't be cry arsing if we don't get the shiny new players to satisfy my bizarre transfer related addictions.

Just now, The Prophet said:

That's not what Howe said mind. It was at least one.

Gives credence to the idea we might need to sell before we buy.

I genuinely believe we’ll get the 2 players in. Maybe it’s pure hope than anything else.