NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

29 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think the club does need to do something positive in this window though. It will have been a poor one if nothing else comes in and it would help generate some excitement and momentum. I can’t see top four without a couple signings either as I’ve said before. 

Yeah, doesn't matter how good your team is, if you don't bring in fresh faces it will eventually go stale on the pitch. 

People underestimate the value of exciting signings when it comes to giving the entire club a lift.

I remember Shearer saying once that after his first training session watching Laurent Robert whipping in crosses, he came away feeling like he could score an extra 7 or 8 goals a season. That could be Isak with a decent right winger. It gives other players a mental boost and drives up the standards. 

I'd imagine the opposite is true when Isak looks across to Miggy and realises he's getting nowt. 

38 minutes ago, gdm said:

Tbf we broke our transfer record twice under Ashley not that that’s saying much 

I only recall once… Joelinton and I’ve my doubts over the fee being £40m. Almiron was less than Owen. The club lied that it was a record transfer fee to put shade on Rafa.

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I only recall once… Joelinton and I’ve my doubts over the fee being £40m. Almiron was less than Owen. The club lied that it was a record transfer fee to put shade on Rafa.

Almiron was absolutely more than £17m surely 

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Was that not something to do with the conversion rate so will depend on which currency you put the fee as? It was almost $2 to £1 or €3 to £2 in 2005 so £16m would have been like $30m/€24m. It was barely £1 to $1.20 in 2019. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We'd have sold Bruno and replaced him with McTominay. 

Or we would have been the “lucky ones” who sign Skipp for 20 million. It is such an Ashley era signing.

10 minutes ago, gdm said:

Almiron was absolutely more than £17m surely 

Nope. Unless you include Ashley Add ones and then it would have went over £17m eventually. Base fee was lower than Owen’s and Joelinton’s was fishy and an agent involved in more than one deal around then. No wonders HRMC were looking at our books.

1 hour ago, andycap said:

I'd bring in a centreback on loan. So palace don't have the upper hand. 

I’d be happier with Ferran Torres in and a rotational young CB with potential for 25m max or an experienced CB on loan. 

Marc Guehi would be an amazing signing, but if we are splashing a 65m+ on a single player, then I’d rather we spent that money on a RW. If we can sign both, then obviously that would excellent. But I am afraid we will only be getting one of them this window. I remember all the discussions we had last season when some matches weren’t going so great, it was clear back then how RW was the area that needed reinforcements the most. 

Let’s look at the depths of our defense vs RW:

LB:

Hall

Tino

Kelly

Burn

Targett

Trippier

CB first half of the season:

Burn

Kelly

Schar

Krafth

CB for the second half of the season:

above list +

Botman

Jamaal

RB:

Trippier

Tino

Krafth

Murphy

RW:

Almiron

Murphy

I am 100% sure our management will make the best decision for the club. But since we are on these forums to discuss and analyze, I just don’t see how the priority should be getting another CB on a record fee when RW was our weakest link last season. 

If we manage to sign both Guehi and a decent RW, then this post would be pointless, but I am afraid spending 65m+ means we are done with this window. Schar and Burn/Kelly would be an excellent CB combo for the first half of the season, and Krafth could be a decent emergency backup. If we really need a fifth CB for the first half of the season, why not get a cheap and a young player like what we did with Osula? 

Getting Guehi now means we are benching two of Burn, Schar, or Kelly. Once Botman joins, we would be benching all of them. While that’s a nice problem to have, underutilizing such great players while being restricted on PSR may not be the best thing to do, especially since our current RW setup isn’t enough to get top 4 again. 

Edited by Solitude20

If the Guehi deal falls through, I could understand if the club stick with Schar, Botman, Burn and Kelly as the main four CBs for this year. With Krafth on clean up, as required - and Lascelles if/when he is fit again.

Botman/Lascelles are down, Schar is suspended but that's not too bad if three can stay available. Presumably Guehi is highly rated -  not necessrily for his existing ability -  but for his long term value to the club, hence the willingness to spend big bucks on him. Getting any other CB in, is not as justifiable given the tight financial headroom.

That four does require Lewis Hall to become a bit more disciplined, although I suppose Tino could switch to left back if Trippier comes back and doesn't look like washed-Trippier.

Just now, Beren said:

If the Guehi deal falls through, I could understand if the club stick with Schar, Botman, Burn and Kelly as the main four CBs for this year. With Krafth on clean up, as required - and Lascelles if/when he is fit again.

Botman/Lascelles are down, Schar is suspended but that's not too bad if three can stay available. Presumably Guehi is highly rated -  not necessrily for his existing ability -  but for his long term value to the club, hence the willingness to spend big bucks on him. Getting any other CB in, is not as justifiable given the tight financial headroom.

That four does require Lewis Hall to become a bit more disciplined, although I suppose Tino could switch to left back if Trippier comes back and doesn't look like washed-Trippier.

I'd be surprised if this is the case, and also disappointed.

If we've gone into the window with 1 CB target that's a failing in our scouting.

5 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Marc Guehi would be an amazing signing, but if we are splashing a 65m+ on a single player, then I’d rather we spent that money on a RW. If we can sign both, then obviously that would excellent. But I am afraid we will only be getting one of them this window. I remember all the discussions we had last season when some matches weren’t going so great, it was clear back then how RW was the area that needed reinforcements the most. 

Let’s look at the depths of our defense vs RW:

LB:

Hall

Tino

Kelly

Burn

Targett

Trippier

CB first half of the season:

Burn

Kelly

Schar

Krafth

CB for the second half of the season:

above list +

Botman

Jamaal

RB:

Trippier

Tino

Krafth

Murphy

RW:

Almiron

Murphy

I am 100% sure our management will make the best decision for the club. But since we are on these forums to discuss and analyze, I just don’t see how the priority should be getting another CB on a record fee when RW was our weakest link last season. 

If we manage to sign both Guehi and a decent RW, then this post would be pointless, but I am afraid spending 65m+ means we are done with this window. Schar and Burn/Kelly would be an excellent CB combo for the first half of the season, and Krafth could be a decent emergency backup. If we really need a fifth CB for the first half of the season, why not get a cheap and a young player like what we did with Osula? 

Getting Guehi now means we are benching two of Burn, Schar, or Kelly. Once Botman joins, we would be benching all of them. While that’s a nice problem to have, underutilizing such great players while being restricted on PSR may not be the best thing to do, especially since our current RW setup isn’t enough to get top 4 again. 

Three counterpoints:

1) I don't think RW was our biggest issue last season. There's a much stronger argument for somewhere between GK and CM.

2) It's not a given that Botman and/or Lascelles are tremendously useful this season

3) At the end of this season like half of our backline is out of contract and we have a lot of decisions to make. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Nope. Unless you include Ashley Add ones and then it would have went over £17m eventually. Base fee was lower than Owen’s and Joelinton’s was fishy and an agent involved in more than one deal around then. No wonders HRMC were looking at our books.

Is there a source for this? Almost every single source over here and in the US press quotes £20m plus or $27m.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Every newspaper report etc says £20m and we broke our record can only take that at face value. If it’s false then fair enough 

8 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Three counterpoints:

1) I don't think RW was our biggest issue last season. There's a much stronger argument for somewhere between GK and CM.

2) It's not a given that Botman and/or Lascelles are tremendously useful this season

3) At the end of this season like half of our backline is out of contract and we have a lot of decisions to make. 

For the issue of our defenders being out of contract by next summer, why not solve this problem next summer then? This would allow us to manage our tight financial situation better and spread out the depreciation over a longer window. Even Guehi would be cheaper next summer. 

The mean time to return after an ACL injury is 10 months. This means Botman should be back by January. You are right to assume the worse case scenario and not count him for the entire season, then Schar and Burn/Kelly would be enough as the main CBs, and if we need backup, we have Burn/Kelly, Krafth, and perhaps a cheap and young CB as a fifth backup. 

Just curious though, do you think Murphy and Almiron are enough to get the job done as our main RW? A 40m RW would be the cheapest option out there, and I don’t see us spending that much on top of the 65m+ we intend to spend on Guehi. 

Atlanta confirmed at the time it was an MLS record (and still is). In fact, the quote from one Darren Eales is that it "shattered the league transfer record." This (and the Joelinton stuff) just feels like an attempt to further discredit Ashley, who needs no help in being discredited.

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

Every newspaper report etc says £20m and we broke our record can only take that at face value. If it’s false then fair enough 

Alphonso Davies went to Bayern for just under €20m, the MLS & Atlanta Utd both confirmed the fee received for Almiron broke the record fee received by an MLS club.