NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, Solitude20 said:

Marc Guehi would be an amazing signing, but if we are splashing a 65m+ on a single player, then I’d rather we spent that money on a RW. If we can sign both, then obviously that would excellent. But I am afraid we will only be getting one of them this window. I remember all the discussions we had last season when some matches weren’t going so great, it was clear back then how RW was the area that needed reinforcements the most. 

Let’s look at the depths of our defense vs RW:

LB:

Hall

Tino

Kelly

Burn

Targett

Trippier

CB first half of the season:

Burn

Kelly

Schar

Krafth

CB for the second half of the season:

above list +

Botman

Jamaal

RB:

Trippier

Tino

Krafth

Murphy

RW:

Almiron

Murphy

I am 100% sure our management will make the best decision for the club. But since we are on these forums to discuss and analyze, I just don’t see how the priority should be getting another CB on a record fee when RW was our weakest link last season. 

If we manage to sign both Guehi and a decent RW, then this post would be pointless, but I am afraid spending 65m+ means we are done with this window. Schar and Burn/Kelly would be an excellent CB combo for the first half of the season, and Krafth could be a decent emergency backup. If we really need a fifth CB for the first half of the season, why not get a cheap and a young player like what we did with Osula? 

Getting Guehi now means we are benching two of Burn, Schar, or Kelly. Once Botman joins, we would be benching all of them. While that’s a nice problem to have, underutilizing such great players while being restricted on PSR may not be the best thing to do, especially since our current RW setup isn’t enough to get top 4 again. 

A £65 million winger would be very exciting, but perhaps there's no one if that calibre available? In which case we'll go down the list or wait it out.

Edited by The Prophet

16 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

A £65 million winger would br very exciting, but perhaps there's no one if that calibre available? In which case we'll go down the list or wait it out.

I reckon if we offer Chelsea Targett and Jamaal Lewis in exchange for Cole Palmer they'll take it.  He's not really a right winger but would be great to have

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

I reckon if we offer Chelsea Targett and Jamaal Lewis in exchange for Cole Palmer they'll take it.  He's not really a right winger but would be great to have

Good idea. Could throw Fraser and Hayden at Palace too, should be enough to get the Guehi deal done.

Just now, Thumbheed said:

I've wanted a new RW since day 1 but when you've scored +85 goals last season then is your RW really the biggest issue? 

Especially when we are about to start Krafth at CB and 3 of our first choice CBs are 30+.

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

I've wanted a new RW since day 1 but when you've scored +85 goals last season then is your RW really the biggest issue? 

I actually agree with your point, chance creation and goals scored wasn't our problem last year. On the flip side, maybe we score 95+ with a killer at RW? 

Just now, Thumbheed said:

CB - RW - CF were the priority this summer 

1 of 3 in so far - hopefully the other 2 to follow 

53 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Is there a source for this? Almost every single source over here and in the US press quotes £20m plus or $27m.

43 minutes ago, gdm said:

Every newspaper report etc says £20m and we broke our record can only take that at face value. If it’s false then fair enough 

32 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

It was 24 million for Almiron

I remember it being an open secret at the time and some of our journalists mentioned it in Podcasts etc but here is a recent one…

1 minute ago, STM said:

Especially when we are about to start Krafth at CB and 3 of our first choice CBs are 30+.

Yep. Immediately hits home just how vulnerable we are in that position.

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

That is an over simplification. The injuries were the biggest factor last year and losing both Joes, Botman, Lascelles, Pope gutted what was once a very good defense.  We need a right center back first and then a rw and I hope we get both.  

11 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

I actually agree with your point, chance creation and goals scored wasn't our problem last year. On the flip side, maybe we score 95+ with a killer at RW? 

No arguments against that at all, but the counter point is had we conceded 10 less goals last season, wouldn't that have had a bigger impact?  

15 minutes ago, Mikky said:

CB - RW - CF were the priority this summer 

1 of 3 in so far - hopefully the other 2 to follow 

I personally would like to see another CM but doesn't seem to be on the agenda this year. 

10 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I remember it being an open secret at the time and some of our journalists mentioned it in Podcasts etc but here is a recent one…

Who cares anyway it was a throw away comment about Ashley breaking our transfer record. If Almiron did break it it was a disgrace it took that long. End of the day it’s no relevance to this transfer window 

5 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

No arguments against that at all, but the counter point is had we conceded 10 less goals last season, wouldn't that have had a bigger impact?  

Yeah I don't know what was going on mid-season when we were conceding goals all over the place, really bad ones as well. 4 at home to Luton was just crazy. I think Pope was the biggest miss of all.

Guehi and Chiesa, get it done. 

Pope

Tino/Trips

Schar/Guehi

Botman/Burn

Hall/Kelly

Tonali/Longstaff

Bruno/Miley

Joelinton/Willock

Chiesa/Murphy

Isak/Wilson/Osula

Gordon/Barnes

Great depth ^^ and some interesting combinations could be had with that. 

Edited by Kanji

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone think there is a chance we don’t do any further business (incomings) ?

Well, you have to look at it this way. There’s a chance something might happen, but if you’re being honest with yourself, the likelihood is that there could be a chance that something just might not happen. 

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Guehi and Chiesa, get it done. 

Pope

Tino/Trips

Schar/Guehi

Botman/Burn

Hall/Kelly

Tonali/Longstaff

Bruno/Miley

Joelinton/Willock

Chiesa/Murphy

Isak/Wilson/Osula

Gordon/Barnes

Great depth ^^ and some interesting combinations could be had with that. 

Don’t get the obsession with Chiesa.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t get the obsession with Chiesa.

Would be available for a decent fee and under Eddie could really flourish. Outside of his injury he has had some shocking coaching at Juve. 

Edited by Kanji

Are Chiesa's knees not knackered? Just regurgitating opinions from people who actually claim to have watched him play recently, but I was under the impression he can barely run any more

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

Are Chiesa's knees not knackered? Just regurgitating opinions from people who actually claim to have watched him play recently, but I was under the impression he can barely run any more

He played 37 times in all comps last season. 10 total goals. 3 assists. 9 of the goals were in the league. Looks like he started most of those. 

Edited by Kanji