NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

Nobody should care about Mike Ashley.

It is the here and now we should care about, and if we have serious aspirations of being a Champions League level club we need better players through the door.

Nee offense but if enjoying supporting my football club is the aim, I'm not being told what I should and shouldn't care about from the group of people whose every post suggests they're having a pretty shit time.

45 minutes ago, gdm said:

Who cares anyway it was a throw away comment about Ashley breaking our transfer record. If Almiron did break it it was a disgrace it took that long. End of the day it’s no relevance to this transfer window 

I was asked to provide evidence 🙂

17 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I was asked to provide evidence 🙂

Fair enough not having a dig I was just saying it was just a throw away comment from myself about Ashley breaking the transfer record twice wasn’t intended to start a big debate 

44 minutes ago, Andy said:

Are Chiesa's knees not knackered? Just regurgitating opinions from people who actually claim to have watched him play recently, but I was under the impression he can barely run any more

Does he even play RW?

48 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone think there is a chance we don’t do any further business (incomings) ?

If we're not able to (or don't want to) sell Miggy, Trippier, Targett, etc. then we have a very interesting decision to make. I think the Guehi fee is pushing at or beyond the limit of what we can do. He's clearly our number one target - do we wait and try to go back in January or next summer? We'd probably need some indication he's not going to commit to Palace sometime this season, but if he doesn't the vultures will well and truly be circling a year from now. No guarantee he doesn't end up at Liverpool or elsewhere.

If not, do we go on to our next CB target or wait until next summer? It doesn't seem like we can turn around and spend a huge fee on a RW instead because then we'd be in a tricky spot for dealing with our backline next summer.

There'd be a definite risk, but part of me really likes the idea of saving our money for January/June to try to take advantage of others who are struggling with PSR.

I imagine these are all the scenarios we're playing out while trying to flog Miggy and Targett to all corners of the globe.

Transfer window has been so underwhelming I don’t think I’m at the point where I can quite believe we won’t do anything. I’d be massively shocked if we’ve bid £60m for Olise and £65m for Guehi and we end up not spending that money. 

I’ve said it and it’s not popular with some but any less than a centre half and a winger and at least one of them being a statement signing will be nothing short of a failure of a window. I’m sure we’ll get something done. The fact the majority of business this window is being done over the last week or two is encouraging 

8 minutes ago, gdm said:

Transfer window has been so underwhelming I don’t think I’m at the point where I can quite believe we won’t do anything. I’d be massively shocked if we’ve bid £60m for Olise and £65m for Guehi and we end up not spending that money. 

I’ve said it and it’s not popular with some but any less than a centre half and a winger and at least one of them being a statement signing will be nothing short of a failure of a window. I’m sure we’ll get something done. The fact the majority of business this window is being done over the last week or two is encouraging 

I just cannot see a right winger signing sadly, and that is our most pressing area to improve. 

It’s been a shit window in general. Brighton have made some good signings, Villa okay too. Them aside I can’t say I’m that impressed. Chelsea are fucking pathetic 

Just now, Danh1 said:

I just cannot see a right winger signing sadly, and that is our most pressing area to improve. 

It’s been a shit window in general. Brighton have made some good signings, Villa okay too. Them aside I can’t say I’m that impressed. Chelsea are fucking pathetic 

Begrudgingly Man Utd have made decent signings 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Said it before but we are a good RW and CB away from imo having the best team outside city / arsenal / Liverpool (well not Chelsea but they don't put it together well) . If we keep the team as it is now, then I don't think we do

BTW crazy Brighton have signed 3/4 Right Wingers. Almost like they know there is a shortage of top players there and they'll be able to flog them at a profit in the near future 

1 minute ago, janpawel said:

Said it before but we are a good RW and CB away from imo having the best team outside city / arsenal / Liverpool (well not Chelsea but they don't put it together well) . If we keep the team as it is now, then I don't think we do

BTW crazy Brighton have signed 3/4 Right Wingers. Almost like they know there is a shortage of top players there and they'll be able to flog them at a profit in the near future 

Fully agree, they’re the two areas we need to improve the most. I think we challenge for the title this season with those two additions, given that we have no European football distraction.

I think Gheui (no idea how to spell it) gets done, but just cannot see a RW signing. We seem happy to go with pea head and Murphy, which is a mistake imo.

4 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Fully agree, they’re the two areas we need to improve the most. I think we challenge for the title this season with those two additions, given that we have no European football distraction.

I think Gheui (no idea how to spell it) gets done, but just cannot see a RW signing. We seem happy to go with pea head and Murphy, which is a mistake imo.

No disrespect but not a chance we challenge for the title

6 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Challenge for the title? 😁

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Maybe a bit carried away but don’t think we are a million miles away with two quality additions :lol: 

Lack of depth would fuck us over tbf.

We’re a good team, no doubt, but we’re a million miles away from City and Arsenal in my book (and probably Liverpool). 4th is realistic with a couple of additions though.

Don't think we could challenge for the league even with two good additions there but I think we'd look very, very likely to get 70pts+. Unconvinced we can if we don't. Definitely not if we don't get one, but surely we do.

Top 4 is as up for grabs as it’s ever been, it would be negligent not to make the two signings we need. The price for not getting top 4 could be losing a couple star players and having to rebuild the team. Massive two weeks coming up really, and we can’t spend it on the phone with Parish.

While I think the whole Guehi thing can fuck right off now, I confess I think it’s sensible to get a centre half. The CL qualification season was as much based on a solid defence as it was a devastating attack and attacking positions are much healthier now than they were then. 

I think we’ll even struggle to get top 4 tbh. City aside it’s the most competitive looking league in decades. 8 or 9 clubs are in the mix for top 4. Everything will need to fall right to get top 4. We’re as likely not getting it as we are getting it. Title challenge is just silly talk 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

I think we’ll even struggle to get top 4 tbh. City aside it’s the most competitive looking league in decades. 8 or 9 clubs are in the mix for top 4. Everything will need to fall right to get top 4. We’re as likely not getting it as we are getting it. Title challenge is just silly talk 

Carragher and Neville have already written us off.

I think we are being underestimated personally in the media.  I don’t think other teams/ managers will do the same though.  I think we are still incredibly dangerous this season, a lot will ride on injuries and of course the end of the window. But I’ve got a feeling we can do really well and surprise a lot of teams.  I would love to see us do City or Liverpool at home, think we will do one of them 

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

Definitely true. We could have a very, very good season and finish 6th, but that goes for everyone from 4th-8th (and I'm not totally opposed to lumping Liverpool in with that group either).

Just now, Ben said:

Carragher and Neville have already written us off.

Theres a lot of bias with those two but honestly it does make you realise just how many teams are in the mix and with a credible shout for top 4. When you assume Arsenal Man City will take up 2 of them that leaves us, Man Utd, Villa, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and likely a surprise like West Ham or Brighton all fighting it out for 2 spots. It’ll be a tough tough ask even if we get a couple signings in 

There are also 4 of those competitors with new, unproven managers. We were still in and amongst it in the most injury ravaged season in our recent history. We're almost a known entity in the league at full strength and can fire all cylinders on the league and domestic cups, while the others have European commitments. 

We're being seriously underestimated/forgotten about amongst this furore around other clubs going through transitions, and honestly I think that suits us down to the ground as well.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

There are also 4 of those competitors with new, unproven managers. We were still in and amongst it in the most injury ravaged season in our recent history. We're almost a known entity in the league at full strength and can fire all cylinders on the league and domestic cups, while the others have European commitments. 

We're being seriously underestimated/forgotten about amongst this furore around other clubs going through transitions, and honestly I think that suits us down to the ground as well.

don’t disagree and I personally think we’ll be in and around top 4 but it’s a very competitive top half of the league and tbh I don’t hate it. 

Edited by gdm