NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

22 minutes ago, Dokko said:

That's on Chelsea having too many players. He is protecting his career. He wants to know what his future is while there is just over a week to do something about it. 

Shocking attitude though.

Even though I would be delighted to see him move on he really isn’t a player that any of you really should be wanting.

Having watched him closely it’s easy to see why some think he is still a top player because they remember those odd moments where he does something or scores the odd goal but his overall contribution isn’t close to what he should be contributing he runs up a blind alley or misses chances that players of his experience should bury with ease. Anyone remember our game last season in the FA cup against Leicester?

There was no coincidence that his England career is almost certainly done nor is it a coincidence that even under Poch his number of minutes significantly declined particularly post Christmas 23 which ironically coincided with our up turn in form. His contribution is woeful 

I think it’s akin to Michael Owen burst on the scene young and ok Owen had a major injury but Sterling is in rapid decline. Of course he is contracted to Chelsea for another 3 years and yes he could sit it out but he won’t . He has been told to find another club from what is being said there was an offer from Saudi but I doubt that will be where he will end up. 

In relation to having too many players yep 40 is too many , that’s how many we currently have in our squad it certainly won’t be that number come 30/8 but even then business can be done with Saudi clubs for approximately another 5 weeks. 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

If I had to choose between a top class RW / CB and a solid RW / CB where I could only have one of each I’d personally go top class RW, solid CB for where we are right now 

Yeah I’d be the same

41 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I’d be very happy with Sterling here. Think Howe would make great use of him.

Mental to think he wouldn't improve us - can play across the front line. Chelsea have thrown him on the scrapheap so defo deal to be done there.

Not saying I'm ITK, but the spirits have spoken and I'm getting another name, a new name.

And he's apparently... not a nonce.

Does anyone here, have a connection with a... Mark. Could be a Mick, or beginning with the letter M?!

Mike?

Could be a Martin?

Just now, gdm said:

He’s not very good ? Has similar numbers to Murphy last season in far more games 

Are you just basing it off numbers? He's only 22, is absolutely rapid and seems to have performed well for Forest. He tore us apart twice and the BBC even pinpointed him out as the star man at the weekend

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cvgx8p95x7no

6 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

The reports have gone from elite RW for half a year to it will be difficult to sign one. But its only Olise, Elanga, Madueke and Neto that has been linked by serious sources.

Mark Douglas I would say is a serious source and he’s saying project player to go with CB, our priority has probably changed after being unable to get Olise, also there’s clearly a shortage of top right sided forwards on the market that would justify a significant outlay at the moment.

7 minutes ago, joeyt said:

What's the reason behind people being so against signing Elanga?

Can't speak for anyone else but Man Utd, a team we're competing with for European spots, sold him because he wasn't good enough for them.

But more from a more tactical perspective I think he's more suited to a counter attacking team which is what Forest are. Utilising his pace to get in behind on the break. I don't think he adds anything to us on that right side that will make the difference for us to justify what Forest would want as a fee for him. I can't think of any names that I think would and are attainable right now though. :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, Terraloon said:

Even though I would be delighted to see him move on he really isn’t a player that any of you really should be wanting.

Having watched him closely it’s easy to see why some think he is still a top player because they remember those odd moments where he does something or scores the odd goal but his overall contribution isn’t close to what he should be contributing he runs up a blind alley or misses chances that players of his experience should bury with ease. Anyone remember our game last season in the FA cup against Leicester?

There was no coincidence that his England career is almost certainly done nor is it a coincidence that even under Poch his number of minutes significantly declined particularly post Christmas 23 which ironically coincided with our up turn in form. His contribution is woeful 

I think it’s akin to Michael Owen burst on the scene young and ok Owen had a major injury but Sterling is in rapid decline. Of course he is contracted to Chelsea for another 3 years and yes he could sit it out but he won’t . He has been told to find another club from what is being said there was an offer from Saudi but I doubt that will be where he will end up. 

In relation to having too many players yep 40 is too many , that’s how many we currently have in our squad it certainly won’t be that number come 30/8 but even then business can be done with Saudi clubs for approximately another 5 weeks. 

Agree with all that. A loan would be something we could test. Someone said 8 weeks, under how I reckon we'd get half a season out of him.

My issue is ignoring all you've said and hit the attitude button because the message from the red tops was to hate sterling due to attitude, and nothing to do with him being a highly paid black lad. That's all thst bothers me. I don't think people even remember the shit he got and that it was due to skin colour and that attitude tag came from there.

Provably bothers me more than it should.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Can't speak for anyone else but Man Utd, a team we're competing with for European spots, sold him because he wasn't good enough for them.

But more from a more tactical perspective I think he's more suited to a counter attacking team which is what Forest are. Utilising his pace to get in behind on the break. I don't think he adds anything to us on that right side that will make the difference for us to justify what Forest would want as a fee for him. I can't think of any names that I think would and are attainable right now though. :lol:

That’s the problem is there a right sided forward anyone can think of worthy of 60 million at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Mark Douglas I would say is a serious source and he’s saying project player to go with CB, our priority has probably changed after being unable to get Olise, also there’s clearly a shortage of top right sided forwards on the market that would justify a significant outlay at the moment.

I was only responding to the Downie comment about signing a RW we have been linked to before.

Also, comparing stats (assists and goals) from team to team is a very tricky measure. If you take at the way we’re set up compared to Everton for example or Forest then we create tons more chances so Murphy would be likely to have far better stats for us than he would if he played for them 

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Are you just basing it off numbers? He's only 22, is absolutely rapid and seems to have performed well for Forest. He tore us apart twice and the BBC even pinpointed him out as the star man at the weekend

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cvgx8p95x7no

That’s why I put the question mark. I haven’t seen him play that often. 

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

What does a project player mean? A player who’s not there yet but we feel we can develop? Like a Gordon when we bought him?

I'd say if we're spending 40m on a player we're expecting him to be fighting for a first team place pretty quickly.

Project player to me would be a highly rated younger player that we think has potential to develop and challenge for a first team place over the next couple of years, while not being completely out of their depth if they had to play sooner rather than later. Osula and Minteh spring to mind as examples.

But the club could have a different definition, of course.

Think Elanga's past as a Man U reject sours many people. Wouldn't be a fan personally, he would be an improvement in short term but seems like the type we would be hoping to get rid of in 2-3 years when the real purple arrives. At least he's still young but can't see his ceiling being high enough to be a starter for a team trying to finish in top 4.

I’ve not seen him play that often as I’ve said but he’s not exactly the most exciting player. No point getting a player in ‘that’ll do’ when we have two right wingers. If we aren’t going to significantly improve in that position then a year down the line we will have 3 right wingers that don’t elevate us. 

dunno I know I’m asking too much but I want that right wing signing to be a player other teams are jealous of but I guess as it stands we are lumping our money on a centre half 

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Agree with all that. A loan would be something we could test. Someone said 8 weeks, under how I reckon we'd get half a season out of him.

My issue is ignoring all you've said and hit the attitude button because the message from the red tops was to hate sterling due to attitude, and nothing to do with him being a highly paid black lad. That's all thst bothers me. I don't think people even remember the shit he got and that it was due to skin colour and that attitude tag came from there.

Provably bothers me more than it should.

I think the fact that he was told that he wasn’t wanted, for whatever reason, has hurt him. He hasn’t really ever had much go against him since the day he left QPR. His outburst was to a degree a knee jerk but he has been in the game for long enough to have seen it happen other players as I say it’s something he hasn’t had to deal with before

There was a lot of chatter some years ago about him during his time at Liverpool much of that had nothing to do with anyone other than those directly involved and for sure he got dogs abuse in the press and there clearly were references to his colour .

He also got abuse in a game against us some seasons ago. No player should have to deal with the abuse some supporters think they are entitled to hand out it certainly isn’t as bad as it was but still away to go.

Just now, Shak said:

I'd say if we're spending 40m on a player we're expecting him to be fighting for a first team place pretty quickly.

Project player to me would be a highly rated younger player that we think has potential to develop and challenge for a first team place over the next couple of years, while not being completely out of their depth if they had to play sooner rather than later. Osula and Minteh spring to mind as examples.

But the club could have a different definition, of course.

Define quick. £33m Hall didn't get into the team FT until March, and that wasn't until we were 4 injuries to the position deep. 

Just now, Terraloon said:

I think the fact that he was told that he wasn’t wanted, for whatever reason, has hurt him. He hasn’t really ever had much go against him since the day he left QPR. His outburst was to a degree a knee jerk but he has been in the game for long enough to have seen it happen other players as I say it’s something he hasn’t had to deal with before

There was a lot of chatter some years ago about him during his time at Liverpool much of that had nothing to do with anyone other than those directly involved and for sure he got dogs abuse in the press and there clearly were references to his colour .

He also got abuse in a game against us some seasons ago. No player should have to deal with the abuse some supporters think they are entitled to hand out it certainly isn’t as bad as it was but still away to go.

A footballers ego is as fragile as their legs. One kicking and they may never recover. So many players cannot reinvent themselves. This is why for me, shearer was one of the smartest players on the pitch in the PL. 

it was claimed Forest didn't want to sell earlier in the window, and that they valued him at around £40 million, and so it won't be him, if that info shared is correct. As it said it wasn't someone in the £40 million range.

If I had to guess I'd probably say Chiesa, whose price has dropped so slow (latest talk is 15 million euros), that at this point it's probably worth taking a chance, provided he comes through the medical well.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Project player at RW doesn’t sound like Ferran Torres or Raphinha, nor does it sound like Kulusevski. It could be Madueke, doesn’t feel like Elanga but it’s not out of the question 

Oh ... did he say the right winger was a project player?